What's new

ACI Maestro... (3 Viewers)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
This week Mike Dzurko and I agreed it was time that his Maestro subwoofer got a review. It sells for $2050 to $2350 depending on finish, and is, according to Mike, an extremely high powered sealed subwoofer...

It is due sometime in September, so hopefully we can get it in time for outdoor groundplane measurements...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Gabriel, I am also looking foward to this... The Maestro already has my wife's approval ... she loves the look. And ACI's website states it has "nearly the output of four Titans" ... It could be a real contender.

BrianAe

Second Unit
This would be way cool. I'm a big ACI fan. I've heard the Sapphires and they are amazing speakers. Somebody on AVS forum posted that they did a little mini-shootout between a few speakers including the Sapphires and the onix ref 1s and that they couldn't tell the difference. I've been wondering since if that is a good assesment.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to this.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Oh hell, Craig - just tell us how it sounds. Ground plane is just no fun, plus I recently learned that measurements and test data have no correlation with sound quality. Our lives suddenly got so much simpler. (contented sigh)

Will you be comparing the Maestro to (say) the PB2-Ultra? Or will this be a stand alone review?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Edward... The Maestro is not intended to hit 128 dB at 20 Hz (indoors) ... but looks like a beautiful package... and may be a great choice for a lot of people.

Great Sarcasm, by the way... I was chuckling.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Good; that was my intention. :)

You've got my number - drop a dime any time you want to chat, and I look forward to your Maestro review. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

dave alan

Second Unit
Oh hell, Craig, just put a camcorder in front of your test equipment and go on vacation while it records the data...

I just found out that how it actually sounds doesn't matter.

In fact, if it can't hit 121 dB 'cleanly' at 20 Hz, we can all just cross it off the list, so do that test first...it may save you some time.

And, while we're on the subject, you haven't sat your wife down and explained why it doesn't matter what the sub looks like??!!

:cool:

Dave

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Hey... THAT was good sarcasm, too ! Well... except explaining the "looks don't matter" part to my bride... THAT won't keep me in her good graces...;)

dave alan

Second Unit
Craig,

I've learned many things from Edward over the past 2 or so years.

He's a great guy. I know I've sent him scurrying to the library a couple of times, and he always comes back with the good stuff.

He has done the same to me quite a few times and I find that the good stuff always comes when the blood is pumping a bit faster than normal.

I can say the same about you, and I totally dig your shootouts, comparisons, listening session reports, etc.

I definitely am looking forward to the Maestro scoop.

Dave

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Dave... You two are definitely the "good" guys... and use reasoned thinking. A pleasant change from SOME forums...:)

I am pretty jazzed about the Maestro... It will be my last review... at least for the foreseeable future.

And I am actually thinking about making it 100 % Listening...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
THAT won't keep me in her good graces...
__________________________________________________ ____

Just what does keep you in her good graces Craig? I can imagine a few replies that would fit right in with your personality. :) Looking forward to this one.

>>>Oh hell, Craig - just tell us how it sounds. Ground plane is just no fun, plus I recently learned that measurements and test data have no correlation with sound quality. Our lives suddenly got so much simpler. (contented sigh)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Steve... Akways a question for the ages.. how to keep in her good graces... ???

Saying "you are right" seems to work ... and "I'm sorry honey, I was wrong" is the real closer...

Today's query...

If a man says something in the forest, and there is no women there to hear him, is he STILL wrong ?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If a man says something in the forest, and there is no women there to hear him, is he STILL wrong ?
__________________________________________________ ____

Craig> Why yes of course he is wrong! -Well- Unless the man is not the womans husband or partner, then he would be in the right or should I say (in the right until proven wrong)? I bet you figured I didn't know that did you. Been married twenty years you know?:laugh:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
One thing for certain... if the man is wife's sister's husband "the doctor"... and the woman is your wife ... and He says something... YOU are still wrong...

Note... Don't try following this one sober...;)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the props, Dave. You Da Man.

Stay tuned for the latest HTF subwoofer review by yours truly.......hailing all the way from sunny California - where they still turn grapes into raisins the old fashioned way - is none other than the Hsu Research STF-2!!

By popular demand from both ends of the spectrum, the report shall be replete with (wait for it....) test measurements and subjective impressions for movies and music. (polite applause follows)

Look for it at your favorite news stand next week!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

:) That's precisely why the designers of subs never, ever use such data. FR and power response just don't matter. It's more romantic "in the dark", and no one can disagree with you, and everyone's opinion counts the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks