What's new

DVD formats supported by DVD players (1 Viewer)

Don_K

Agent
I have been told that if I want to use my PC to burn home movies on to DVD's, I should use the -R format as opposed to +R, to ensure compatibility with consumer grade DVD players.

Is this fact or urban legend?????

Also wondering what video format should be used... MPG, or MPGx, or?

TIA,

Don

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
It is based on your DVD player. Look at it's specs and see what type of media and format it supports. The format will likely be the normal DVD format with a Video_TS folder, or .avi.

CJ

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
Not true, it must be urban legend. I have used both with pretty much the same success rate on all of my DVD players. My standalone burner uses only +R and my compuer burner uses either. A lot depends on the software your using, and the player you will play it on. Most DVD players made in the last year (and probably last 2 years), should play both fine. For more info go to www.dvdrhelp.com which will give you oodles of info on the subject.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I just bought an Sony DVD camcorder, so I have been studying up on DVD compatibility. Most of the newer players will play both DVD-R & +R (along with RWs), but you would probably be safer using the DVD-R. DVD-R is compatible with a larger percent of players then any other type of recordable DVD. Your best bet though is to check out what your DVD player supports. I think the website that some one listed above has a huge list of DVD players and what they are compatible with. Good luck!

Frank

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
even more agreed.

of all the dvd players we sell at bb, almost all of them state -r compatibility. not all of them state +r compatibility. also, from all the stuff i've read -r is still the way to go for compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks