Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD formats supported by DVD players

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Don_K

Don_K

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 04:39 PM

I have been told that if I want to use my PC to burn home movies on to DVD's, I should use the -R format as opposed to +R, to ensure compatibility with consumer grade DVD players.

Is this fact or urban legend?????

Also wondering what video format should be used... MPG, or MPGx, or?

TIA,

Don

#2 of 5 Cornelius

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 05:30 AM

It is based on your DVD player. Look at it's specs and see what type of media and format it supports. The format will likely be the normal DVD format with a Video_TS folder, or .avi.

CJ

#3 of 5 SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 05:42 AM

Not true, it must be urban legend. I have used both with pretty much the same success rate on all of my DVD players. My standalone burner uses only +R and my compuer burner uses either. A lot depends on the software your using, and the player you will play it on. Most DVD players made in the last year (and probably last 2 years), should play both fine. For more info go to www.dvdrhelp.com, which will give you oodles of info on the subject.

#4 of 5 Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 03:23 AM

Hi

I just bought an Sony DVD camcorder, so I have been studying up on DVD compatibility. Most of the newer players will play both DVD-R & +R (along with RWs), but you would probably be safer using the DVD-R. DVD-R is compatible with a larger percent of players then any other type of recordable DVD. Your best bet though is to check out what your DVD player supports. I think the website that some one listed above has a huge list of DVD players and what they are compatible with. Good luck!

Frank

#5 of 5 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 09:27 AM

Quote:
Most DVD players made in the last year (and probably last 2 years), should play both fine.
agreed.
Quote:
DVD-R is compatible with a larger percent of players then any other type of recordable DVD.
even more agreed.

of all the dvd players we sell at bb, almost all of them state -r compatibility. not all of them state +r compatibility. also, from all the stuff i've read -r is still the way to go for compatibility.

Forum Nav Content I Follow