What's new

DVDs with Isolated Soundtracks....recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I believe LA Confidential has an isolated score. The 20th annivesary edition of Alien has one too.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Most definitely. Here are some recommendations off the top of my head:

- Superman: The Movie contains John Williams' score in really cool Dolby 5.0, along with a separate section of alternate takes and selections not heard in the film also in 5.0.

- The now out-of-print Alien 20th Anniversary Edition DVD contains not one but two isolated audio tracks of Jerry Goldsmith's score for the film, one track with the untarnished score for the film, and the other track with alternate versions of Goldsmith's cues and on-set production audio.

- The first single-disc release of The Mummy (1999 has a hidden Easter egg feature that showcases Goldsmith's complete score for the film. You have to access the Languages section on the DVD and wait for the screen to complete cycling through, and that will allow you to hear the complete score for the film.

- I don't know if this is out of print or not, because of the superseding of the 2-disc (or 3-disc, depending on if you get it at Wal-Mart) Special Edition, but the original DVD release of Field of Dreams contains an Easter egg of the complete score as heard in the film. From what I have heard, it's the exact same as what's on the CD release and no added cues, though I could be wrong.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I thought The Mummy had one, I just couldn't find it.

This will make a nice list. Keep posting.

Shaun

Second Unit
There are lots of DVDs out there with isolated scores. Legends of the Fall has select tracks, Family Man, and Apollo 13, which can be heard at the main menu.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Yes, the complete Field of Dreams score as heard in the movie plays as an alternate audio track over the documentary. This is also the feature that enables you to hear one of the late Jerry Goldsmith's finest, Patton, in isolated Dolby Digital (on Disc 2 of the original OOP special-edition release). And, of course, don't forget the theatrical cut of Amadeus. The score is an alternate audio track over the film itself.

This feature is the most sorely-missed on DVD, to me. It could have quieted many a grumble over the Indiana Jones and Star Wars Trilogy box sets if the films had offered isolated score tracks, IMHO.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Also Assault on Precinct 13, Blade, Blade II, Boiler Room, A Bug's Life, The Dark Crystal, the .hack//SIGN series, Down by Law, E.T., Enter the Dragon, Final Fantasy, Heavy Metal 2000, Legend, Mars Attacks, THe Matrix, Notoius (Criterion), O, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Rebecca (Criterion), Rudy, Rush Hour, Short Circuit, Stand by Me, Starship Troopers, Steel Magnolias and Straw Dogs (Criterion).

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

I've heard the reason why so few DVDs have isolated scores is so that they don't cut into sales of the soundtrack CDs.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (5.1, has Danny Elfman commentary between cues, and sounds fantastic!)

Doctor Zhivago (5.1, excellent sound)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (mono, but surprisingly great sound)

North By Northwest (only stereo, but great. Although, the CD is better)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have two that Dan Rudolph didn't mention already..:rolleyes:;)

Dario Argento's The Bird With The Crystal Plumage has the Ennio Morricone score in a separate menu with chapter listing.

And speaking of Morricone, John Carpenter's The Thing also has Ennio's score as a separate track on the documentary.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Traffic: The Criterion Collection

My favorite movie with an wonderful score. During the breaks, there is commentary by the composer, Cliff Martinez. However, if you're not a fan of minimalism, don't get the DVD for the isolated score.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
City of Angels is one of my favorites. I actually watch that DVD with the isolated score more often than I do the film itself. Also, I believe the score has yet to be released separately(not counting the four tracks on the soundtrack CD).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Sound of Music. Irwin Kostal's treatment of the classic R&H score earned a well-deserved Academy Award, and can be heard isolated on the DVD in 2.0 stereo.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

That's one of many reasons. But isolated scores are definitely a feature whose time has come and gone, largely because of the money involved.

If you look at the titles recommended so far, only a few have come out in the past few years. And when discs that originally had isolated scores are re-released as special editions, the score is always dropped. I can't think of an example when it was kept.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I tried listening to it once, but I stopped as soon as I heard Julie Andrews' voice in the background. It's definitely not completely isolated, they just attempted to rip out the voice part of the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks