Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sliders, John Doe etc, Give us an ending

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Meil

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts
  • LocationAurora, CO

Posted August 18 2004 - 11:23 AM

What the heck is wrong with all these network people. Every show needs an ending. Where is the ending for Sliders. People have a right to a proper ending. The same with John Doe, this was a great series ending on a clifhanger. I am sure many of you can list other shows without an ending. I would be interested in a list of shows.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Valerie G.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 05:27 PM

Of course, everytime John Doe is mentioned, I have to comment! Posted Image

John Doe was such a great show, it still makes me sad that Fox canceled it. I, too, would love to see an ending for it! At this point, since I don't think a wrap up movie or anything will ever be done, I'd even be happy with a book being written telling the end of the story...

As to a list of shows that never had an ending, I think it would be too depressing to look at a list like that... Posted Image

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 09:21 PM

Why did Fox cancel John Doe anyway? THe ratings weren't great, but what can expect Friday evening, and unlike Firefly, the show cost fairly little to produce.
My Collection

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 10:54 PM

The two shows that really come to mind for me with great unresolved cliffhanger endings are:

* Twin Peaks (and no, the scene where Laura dreamed of Annie in FWWM doesn't count)
* Nowhere Man (the final episode was great, ending on a brilliant revelation, and then ... )
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 02:11 AM

Quote:
What the heck is wrong with all these network people. Every show needs an ending. Where is the ending for Sliders. People have a right to a proper ending.
I'd look at it as "what the heck is wrong with these producers?", myself - unless you've got an iron-clad order for another season, a cliffhanger is just jerking the audience around. And even if you do know your show will be back, your actor can still get hit by a bus or something else can make picking up where you left off difficult.

Quote:
Why did Fox cancel John Doe anyway? THe ratings weren't great, but what can expect Friday evening, and unlike Firefly, the show cost fairly little to produce.
The ratings were still on a downward trend. It wasn't as sharp and severe as some of the other shows Fox had tried on Friday night, but Fox was still looking at fewer people watching it in May than had been watching it in September.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 02:48 AM

I have mentioned this before. But, Fox really screwed up with Doe. The producers mentioned that in their original season finale. They were going to reveal more of Doe's background. But, Fox execs told them not to because they were going to get renewed. And we all know what happened. I also have mentioned. That these "wrap-up" movies are the type Scifi channel should be doing.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 02:51 AM

There was a time when shows were cancelled all the time and we didnt get endings like Gilligan's Island and Lost In Space. We got movies years later but it wasnt the same.
I do agree though that they should give shows a finish. I vote for Miracles.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 03:08 AM

We saw the exact same thing with Farscape!

In that particular instance, the producers were told outright by SciFi that there would be a 5th season. It was my understanding that they went so far as to sign everyone to seasons 4 & 5 at the same time... so they do a helluva cliffanger at the end of seasons 4...

...and SciFi cans the show!

Fortunately there was such a fan outcry that SciFi must have been distracted for a moment, put down the collective joins that they were toking, and took notice of the fact that people wanted MORE Farscape, and a resolution to the S4 Cliffhanger! As a result, we've got the Farscape mini-series coming up in a couple of months (and I can't wait!) Posted Image

In fact, we can see a couple more instances of the network people being woken up to their blunders... Family Guy is supposed to be coming back, and FireFly is moving to its first feature film, Serenity!

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted August 19 2004 - 04:59 AM

I don't think they intended the ending to Sliders to be seen as a cliffhanger, any more than the ending to Quantum Leap was a cliffhanger.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Roger_R

Roger_R

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
Twin Peaks (and no, the scene where Laura dreamed of Annie in FWWM doesn't count)
I agree with that one. Hell, there are still Twin Peaks festivals being held every year. I'm sure at least a few people would watch it if they put together an ending in the form of a movie or a new series...

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Geoff::L

Geoff::L

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted August 22 2004 - 06:54 PM

I watched a show called Now and Again that ended on a cliffhanger but wasn't picked up for renewal.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 02:21 AM

Geoff,

Thanks for reminding me about that one. That would have been a good choice for Scifi to do a ending movie. They have the syndication rights for the show. This was another show CBS killed that did well in the ratings.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
That would have been a good choice for Scifi to do a ending movie. They have the syndication rights for the show. This was another show CBS killed that did well in the ratings.
Think this through. Why would CBS "kill" Now And Again if it "did well"? That's not in their interests. I'd guess that even if there were other shows that did worse, they didn't involve paying a relatively expensive cast and crew. And that expense which would have made it unprofitable for CBS puts it pretty far outside of Sci-Fi's price range, especially considering that Universal/NBC wouldn't own a piece of it (I believe it was a Fox/CBS co-production).

Sci-Fi has the third-run rights (which are different from syndication), but those were probably relatively cheap, especially when compared to footing the bill for a new production, especially after Haysbert and Close got higher-profile gigs.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 08:02 AM

I tend to agree with Jason on this one. In today's TV market, any cliffhanger is a risky proposition, unless you're a well-established show.

SCI-FI and fantasy shows are especially prone to the "unresolved ending" problem because they, one, are big on "myth-arcs" that carry from episode to episode or, two, are about a group of people wandering around with no particular destination in mind, e.g., "Voyager" and "Firefly." This just dares the TV gods to smack you with a cancellation that leaves your fans frustrated. It's why I avoid these shows; I've been burned too many times.

I've often thought that the least a producer who insists on a "myth-arc" or "wandering" show could do for potential fans is film an ending before he's cancelled and put it in the can just in case. IIRC, FOX's show with John Corbett, "The Visitor" did something like that. It wasn't the greatest ending, to be sure, but it didn't leave the fans hanging.
What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of Man. You cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images . . .

T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted August 24 2004 - 12:45 AM

Nowhere Man was the first that popped in to my mind. Farscape would have been up there too if Sci-fi weren't trying to rectify it. Still, another 22 episodes would have been much better than a four hour miniseries, but at this point, I guess I'll take what I can get!

Ric

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow