What's new

Are Solar Lamps high theft targets? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Dunnow how many of you have scene these things. But they are small lamps that light up blue, green, or white and hang from a small stick you put in the ground. They are apparently solar powered, but I saw one taken apart on our porch the other day with batteries missing, so who knows.

but has anyone else here who have these things on their lawn had any of them stolen?

Like I said, one was found on our porch taken apart, and I figured the people renting the house next door took it in because it wasn't lit. Only to find out that they called my mother and noticed that three where missing from our house the next day. Sure enough, three from our side of the house are gone.

These things make the house look nice and add an extra ambience to the place, but it's not worth getting new ones if they are high theft targets.

Anyone else had this problem?

On a similar topic, I have the low voltage lights out front of my house and on Saturday, they were the targets of vandals. They took out 6 of them. Then came back a few nights later taking out more of them. Needless to say, I no longer have low voltage lights outside now. :angry: What's happening to the youth today, no respect.

Back on topic, if three are missing already, I wouldn't be replacing them.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Ya, it just doesn't pay to try and have pride in your yard anymore. When I was young we would never have done any of this.
I can understand stealing a loaf of bread if you are hungry but vandalizing or stealing something you just don't need make no sense to me.
This year a big thing being stolen around these parts are those mosquito magnets and high-end plants, it is just plain weird.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
We have a little solar powered light up Frog on our front porch, and it hasn't disappeared yet.

Thanks for the tip on the mosquito magnet... I haven't gotten mine out yet, but maybe I will put a little pad of concrete with an eye on it and use a chain and padlock to secure the thing....

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
yep. had 6 of them stolen from my front yard. if i get a hold of those kids.......

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Living in Oklahoma I’ve had solar powered lights destroyed during hailstorms but not stolen.

The solar cell in solar powered lights charge the Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries during the day and when it gets dark the batteries provide power for the light.

This reminds me of an April Fools joke in Popular Electronics Magazine many years ago. It had plans for you to build a solar powered night light without rechargeable batteries!

It also had plans for you to build a one-bit RISC microprocessor with a reduced instruction set of only two instructions: No Op and Halt!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks