What's new

best bookshelf speakers at BestBuy? (1 Viewer)

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
At the risk of sounding like a total n00b, I'd like users' opinions on the best bookshelf speakers that are sold at BestBuy. I'm limiting myself to BestBuy because I have an account there and can get decent financing on them. The GOOD news is, since I'm throwing them on my BestBuy charge, I could really care less about the price :)

I've got Kenwood floor-standing speakers, but I've just moved into an apt and I really don't have the room for them. So I'm trying to switch to some comparable bookshelf speakers to save space.

From what I can tell, BestBuy's selection ranges from Bose,Sony, JBL, KLH, Klipsch, Athena, and a couple others. I've already got a Bose center channel (VSC-10) and Bose rear surrounds (161's), which I think sound great. I plan on at least listening to the Bose 701's, if that gives you any idea of what size I'm looking for. I realize Bose is considered by most to be an inferior, overpriced product, so let's not harp on that too much :)

I've got a Sony STR-DE885 receiver. Any help or advice would be appreciated:)

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I would check out the Athena's. I have listened to several speakers at best buy and I thought they were the best of the bunch.

Lorne

Agent
Hmmm, you do understand that charging still means that you have to pay at some point, even with limited time no-interest financing. That's money you won't have for other things, even with a low monthly payment. The idea that price does not matter because you are charging is pretty insane. Put another way, if you could lend money to someone at 18%, you'd do it and think they were a sucker. Best Buy looks at you that way.

LT

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Lorne, I understand that :) I'm a realtor; I'll sell a house later this month and then pay them off, which is why I'm not overly concerned with the price at the moment.

Thanks for the advice David. I've personally never heard Athena's (or even heard OF them), but I'll definitely give them a listen.

Daman

Second Unit
I'd check Athena's,JBL's and Klispch's if you want to buy only from Best Buy. Though you may not have heard of them but they are very well respected brands in audiophile world.

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I just wanted to make sure I can still get quality speakers shopping at BestBuy.

What am I losing by going from 3-way floor-standing speakers to 2-way bookshelf speakers? Anything that my center and sub won't compensate for?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

The JBL S38s/S38IIs are discontinued, but if you can find a pair at BB, purchase them immediately. These are the best sub-$1000 speakers I've owned in about 20 years of buying this stuff. They're positively large, however, and won't fit on many bookshelves.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
If I were you I wouldn't do any floorstanders. I would get the best bookshelves that whatever brand has to offer. For HT use your money will go further with a set of good bookshelves vs. some so-so full range towers.

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
These are the models I plan on checking out, per BestBuy's website:

- Klipsch SB-1, SB-2, SB-3 ($200 - $350)
- JBL E-20 ($250)
- JBL E-30 (on sale for $200)
- Athena AS-B2 ($200)

I may even buy two pairs, take them home, and try them out and decide which I like best, then return the others. BestBuy isn't exactly the most acoustic-friendly environment for testing speakers.:)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
It depends on what music you like, and also if you already have a subwoofer. If you're into guitar rock, rap, and bass heavy music I'd go with the Klipsch.

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I do have a sub. It's not a great sub, but it sounds decent enough. Also, I don't use my system for music much, per se. I'm more of a movie fan myself. But I like deep bass and loud explosions :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you're going to place these "bookshelf" speakers on stands, then the towers really won't take up any more floor space...if that's the issue. Since you're considering 701's, I guess a tower is not ruled out?

Having said that, the Athena bookshelf models are the best ones BB carries. If you can do it, though, I'd go with the AS-F2 towers...stunning speakers for under $400. Bass is so good with these they might even obviate the need for a sub, at least in an apartment. The F1 towers are great, also, and a little smaller. You can then do a huge sonic upgrade to the Athena surrounds and center. Even the little Micra system will be better and cheaper than your proposed one. These speakers are truly great if a little too inexpensive to be taken seriously by most. And, of course, they're sold at the "wrong" place...

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Jack thanks for the advice. 701's are bookshelf speakers,aren't they?.......*checking*......My bad, 701's are towers. I was referring to the 301's :)

And the speakers will be set within a built-in entertainment center, not on stands. The reason I'm looking into bookshelf speakers is to get away from the floor-standings, because I'm really limited as to the placement of them at my place. I think bookshelves will give me more flexibility as to the placement of the speakers themselves. Plus I can use them as rear surrounds or in a seperate room when I finally move out and have a dedicated home theater someday :)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I agree that the S38II's are the best speakers! I doubt you could find any at BB though. Check out the E50's. They have a mid that is 3" instead of 4" and a tweet that is 3/4 titanium laminate as opposed to a full titanium 1" but i am sure they sound great. I use the EC35 with my S38 and they sound the same to me.

However, unless you are going to sell your other Bose, I would use the 301's as at least all of your speakers would match. The Bose center will not sound right with the Jbl's or any other brand-the timber matching will not even be close.

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator

Is this true? Should I go with Bose fronts to acheive the best possible sound given my scenario? I plan on keeping the Bose center and rears for now at least. I'll probably be upgrading them within a year or so. But I wasn't aware that different-branded speakers might not sound good when put together.

Daman

Second Unit
Marcus, the term timbre matching comes into play in this scenario.Since your center would be a Bose and mains say Athenas, the tonal qualities of the speaker's would change.. so if the dialog is shifting across the front stage you might find the vocals of a person on the screen changing as the sound moves from mains to center channel etc. Sometimes the difference may be a lot and sometimes not noticable much. It depends on speaker brands and their tonal qualities but it recommended that at least the front 3 speakers are of same brand because of this.
That said i would still say that go in for Athenas because you can do away with the rest of the Bose speakers later on and move on the whole setup to Athena's/Klispch etc. If ull again go in for Bose then you wont have a possibility to upgrade later on to another and ill say better brands.As an example when i was moving from my satellite Polk system to Energies i just had a pair of Energy C1 bookshelves first and was using them with the Polk Center, while the tonal difference was there it wasnt noticable much and i was happy with the setup..so you cant tell how annoying it might be or not,Ill say get the speaker home and give it a try.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with Dorian on this. If you're definitely keeping the center and surrounds, you'd likely be better off with 301's. They still won't sound "right", but at least they'll all sound wrong together. ;)
Honestly, spending ~$330 on 301's when you could get a pair of AS-B2's and a matching C1 center for $350 would be...silly. Move the Bose to the back for now and add a pair of the excellent R2 surrounds later for $160.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks