What's new

Oh Summer, where art thou? (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
{bitching mode}
I don't know about everyone else, but here in Toronto it feels like we've gone from May to September, and completely skipped the summer months!

We don't get much warm weather up here on a regular basis, so I really cherish the warm summer months. What we've had lately though has been grey skies, rain, and tepid cool weather. Only a handful of days have been what you could call "summer" days that called for shorts, a t-shirt, and a visit to the beach! I heard on the radio this morning that we've had twice the amount of rain on average this summer, and the temperature has been WAY below average on nearly a daily basis. Apparently, this was the coldest & rainiest July we've had in 12 years! I've turned on my A/C only on a handful of occasions, and I haven't watered my lawn once this year - the sky has been doing that for me!

I'm the kind of guy that thrives on warm sunny days... it's a psychological thing. Boy-oh-boy am I feeling the effects of the lack of a nice summer! It's really depressing to leave work and not see the sun. Before we know it, it's going to be November, it'll be dark at 5:30 p.m., and I'll be shoveling my driveway of snow & ice.

I think it's time I plan on moving south, so warmer climates. I want sunlight, heat, and palm trees... enough of this Canadian weather...
{/bitching mode}

Moe.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong forum... Admins, please move this to the After Hours Lounge. :)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Dude, move to BC. We have been enduring on average 27-28 degree days. We've had periods of 30-35 heats for over a week at a time...and that's here on the island where we usually see 30+ days once or twice a summer...and only for 1 or 2 days at a time at most. The rest of the time we normally see temps in the 23-26 range.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I'm with you Moe. I haven't even been swimming once this summer, and that's just not normal. It isn't summer as far as I'm concerned. It's...It's... I can't even explain it. I thought all this global warming was supposed to make it warmer. Seems like someone got it wrong.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't live without a sunny summer. It's what recharges my super powers. That being spleeping till 4pm and being able to eat snacks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I started taking up walking (this spring) when I got home from work. Since I don't get home 'till about 7:30, I don't have a lot of time left before the sun goes down.

It seems like I hardly had many days where the sun would be out at 9pm. It seemed like by the time we hit the longest day, it immediately started getting dark. And now, I'm lucky if I can catch the last hour of sun before it disappears for the day. :frowning:

A lot has to do with all of the overcast/hazy days we had...not to mention all the (daily) thunderstorms.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
It's been a cooler and wetter summer all around. Don't mind it so much in Colorado, at least the mountains aren't on fire 24/7 this year.

Moe, you could move to Florida and get some sun. Only occasionally do you get 150 mph winds and ft/hr rainfall. The rest of the time it's quite sunny ;)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
God hates me. I bought my motorbike late last summer and its been crappy weather ever since. There haven't been 2 sunny weekends in a row this summer.

I shoulda bought a snowmobile.:frowning:

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

You have NO idea how much I want to move to Florida! Ever since I first visited the state about 8 years ago, I fell in love with it! The sun, the heat, the palm trees.

I'm willing to put up with whatever odd weather patterns that would manifest themselves there. I don't know how many more winters (and "summers") I can put up with in Toronto... after a while I'm going to go insane!

moe.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Your so lucky. I hate the Summer. I'd love it if here in CA we could do that.

Bring on the cold!

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
here in NYC too, it has been the same thing.
I usually go to the beach twice a week in the summer and the last time I was there was about a month ago.

just dreary and completely unpredictable weather everyday. the weekends have been raining and during the week, daily thunderstorms.

it really blows !!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This summer's been pretty enjoyable here. People claim it's been "cold," but in reality it's been average...the past few summers have been hotter than normal which has skewed everyone's perspective. Vermont is not supposed to have 90's all summer long.

June and July were very nice, highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's. August has been quite humid, though. Ick!

I'm with Ron-P...bring on fall! It's the only season I really enjoy around here (winter is too cold, spring/summer is too humid).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it. It feels like I've spent the whole God damned summer indoors. And now I'm going back to school in less than two weeks, and I wonder what the hell happened.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Ron-P's account has been hijacked by an alien from an ice planet. You're in Huntington Beach man, never tell a Canadian he's lucky. Because he's not, he just tricks his mind into thinking he is. A flippin' polar bear could take a wrong turn and end up in Nick's yard. That's never cool. I can hypnotize my family members from Canada with a trip to HB pier, a bag of In N' Out and the promise that they will witness a thong bikini in real life. :)

Huntington has a hot woman every other square foot.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Normally the summers here in Atlanta can range from comfortable to unbearable. This year, and really the past couple of years, have been rather nice. Not too hot and humid (for the South). I think we've only had a few days above 90 and the humidity hasn't been that bad (again, for the South). In fact, the past week+ has been almost fall-like. I remember summers growing up where many days the temps were above 100 with high humidity.

I would still take the hot days of summer here before I would the cold days of winter up north. I'm just not a winter/cold weather person.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
In the past I've got fed up explaining to non-Brits that the UK has a pleasant summer climate. We get plenty of sunny days, the difference from a lot of the rest of the world being that whilst it's hot enough for a pool day, it's not so stiflingly hot that you can't move.

However, this year has been vile. The hot weather when it's arrived has been full of humidity (even in the coastal regions) and there's been precious little of that. Mostly we've had dull overcast weather with (for the UK) really vicious storms. A couple of days ago we got a month's worth of rain in half an hour. In Cornwall (for those that don't know - the south-western tip of England) there was a flash flood that destroyed the centre of a village that in the UK is famous as a tourist centre. An illustration of the severity is that over a hundred cars were swept out of the village car park several hundred yards into the sea {amazingly, nobody was killed or seriously injured, largely thanks to the RAF and coastguard being prompt in launching rescue helicopters). Last night, another flash flood caused a landslide that destroyed part of a road in Scotland.

And worst of all, this weather has been hell for the garden. The fuschias are nowhere near what they should be.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Here in southern Ontario it's been a dreary summer. Ironically, the two times I headed to the Silver City I saw The Day After Tomorrow about an ice age, and King Arthur where the big battle scene takes place in snowy mountains on a lake of ice. If I wanted to feel cold I would have just gone outside!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I heard on the radio this morning that if this trend continues for us we'll set a new record for the coldest summer in over 100 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks