Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Family Ties

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Jan Jessen

Jan Jessen

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 01:31 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the old 80's tv show Family Ties getting released on dvd ? best regards, Jan

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:56 AM

Yeah I'd love to have this show on DVD. TVLand airs it at 3am in the morning now, which is no good.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 04:02 AM

No news on this coming to DVD, but if it did I'd give buying it some serious consideration that's for sure. I got in to this show when it hit nick at nite for the first time a few years ago.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 05:31 AM

I'd buy it, though the first season was not its best. It focused too much on the story of the formerly-radical parents trying to preserve their old ways, which was a good concept (a reverse "All in the Family") but not really enough to carry a lot of funny episodes. In the second season they started realizing that Alex and his struggle (between his greed and his basic decency) was the really funny part of the show, and the dad became a much better and funnier character -- once Michael Gross grew a beard, he was hilarious, one of the best actors in the business at deadpan reactions. I don't usually like it when a show places increased emphasis on a supporting character, but I think with Family Ties it was clear that Alex was a better character to carry the show than his mother. Paramount has a lot of sitcoms in their library and are releasing a bunch of them over the next few months, so I think it's likely that we will see FT eventually.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 05:48 AM

This is truly a great tv comedy. As long as the episodes were uncut, I'd buy the set in a heartbeat.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 05:51 AM

That would be cool but now I have the theme song stuck in my head. Sha la laaa laaaaa

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   ChrisRose

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 06:16 AM

I've been wishing for Family Ties DVDs for a loooong time. I wonder what the hold up is...surely they don't think it won't sell? FT is one of the best, and best-loved sitcoms of the '80s. (Heck it's *my* favorite sitcom of all time)

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Jan Jessen

Jan Jessen

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 06:32 AM

It's really great to see i'm not the only one that want this show on dvd, gives me hope that there are hope hehe Posted Image

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 10:50 AM

When TV Land did a marathon awhile back, I was amazed at how well the show held up and how great it is. Definitely not your typical "family" sitcom. Some of the stuff that show dealt with was incredibly well done. I'd buy DVD sets in a heartbeat.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Juan Books

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:17 PM

Me too. One of the finest shows of the 80's. It was Reagan's favorite TV show Posted Image

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Brooke

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:28 PM

I'd buy it without hesitation. It's an absolute must. Family Ties (and Michael J Fox) represents my early 'tween and teen years, my first television crush, my first must see show and the first show that truly devastated me with its end. I've been watching the final season over the last month as it's aired on our pay TV channel and it's still hilarious. The "driving scene" in the Keaton kitchen had me in stitches.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Brooke

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 09 2005 - 10:28 PM

The above news was announced on tvshowsondvd.com in September last year. I haven't seen anything since. Is it still happening (though obviously not in the first half of 2005)?

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Angela_K

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 11:48 AM

Over at Sitcoms Online at the Family Ties board there's a petition there to get FT on DVD, so if anyone's interested they can go there and sign it Posted Image

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Katherine_K

Katherine_K

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 10:11 PM

This seems to me like yet another case of Paramount mismanaging their catalogue. I was hoping that with the recent corporate shakeup over at the studeo we'd see them dipping into their vaults, but I've yet to see much evidence of that. Paramount is behind the curve when it comes to realizing the value of TV-on-DVD releases. Warner Brothers is far ahead of them, and Universal seems to be on a fairly quick learning curve. The problem is that they've relied too closely on their (IMO) overpriced scifi releases.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 11:02 AM

I wish Paramount would release Family Ties on season DVD sets already. I was at the store the other day and found a copy of Family Ties: Collector's Edition on VHS for $4.99. (it had 4 uncut(?) episodes from throughout the series) I was very tempted to buy it, but I figured I'd resist since the show is bound it hit DVD eventually. It should have been on DVD awhile ago, IMO...

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted October 31 2005 - 02:45 AM

I watched Inside the Actor's Studio with Michael J. Fox last night and seeing the clips from the show makes me wish I could have season sets right now.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,441 posts

Posted October 31 2005 - 06:05 AM

I will be at BestBuy with my checkbook the second this comes out. The first couple seasons were my favorite. I expect we'll see it one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users