-

Photo
- - - - -

Consolidated thread: ABANDONED TV SERIES

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#41 of 65 OFFLINE   Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 10:22 AM

Didn't the movie do over $100 million domestically at the box office?

#42 of 65 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 11:24 AM

I checked box office mojo and you're right. Becuae of its budget, that was barely enough to eek out a profit, though. Surprising I didn't hear more buzz about it.
My Collection

#43 of 65 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 18 2004 - 06:35 PM

Updated with good news on Twin Peaks.
My Collection

#44 of 65 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 28 2004 - 09:15 AM

eFilmCritic has seasons 1-3 of Good Neighbors out on April 19th. I guess Acorn got the rest of the rights! Yes!

Glenn

#45 of 65 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 28 2004 - 10:31 PM

No, Glenn, not Acorn. Warner Brothers/BBC America. Details and cover art are here.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#46 of 65 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 03:34 AM

Gee Dave, lighten up. I didn't start this. I just passed it along... fron THEIR page.

April 19 (2005)
(*) All In The Family - The Complete 4th Season (Columbia/Tri-Star)
Good Neighbors - The Complete Series 1-3 (Acorn Media)
(*) Jeffersons, The (Season Three) (Columbia/Tri-Star)

Yours is better - fewer disks and more stuff!

Glenn

#47 of 65 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 03:00 PM

Quote:
Gee Dave, lighten up.

Posted Image Sorry, Glenn...I didn't mean to sound heavy! The way you worded it, it sounded like you were the one saying "Acorn" and not eFilm critic, a site I don't visit much anymore.

Oh, and the dates for AitF and Jeffersons are wrong in that bit you quoted. Right month, wrong week.

Sorry if it sounded like I was coming down on you...poor choice of words.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#48 of 65 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 04:01 AM

Sorry too. We both centered on different parts of the same sentence. Odd how stuff gets misread when it isn't spoken! Posted Image

Acorn was an afterthought for me, but what's up with efilmcritic? If they got an anouncement date, wouldn't they know where it came from?

I think the studios should toss out a bone for the public. Not all of them, but with some of them it is close to - or impossible - to find out what is coming out. We find out because titles show up at web sites, but there is no logic to what they list.

Once a month I look at what efilmcritic has coming up, along with DVD Empire. I go through all of their future listings. Good Neighbors wasn't at Empire and no one mentioned it here. (I figure I can't be the only one that likes it), even though I am sure that it will be up at Empire at least a few weeks before it comes out.

The dates get screwed up a lot more than they should too. I have 2 that I want next month and I'm still not sure if they are coming out on the 11th or the 25th, I think. They need better PR, for sure. Don't the studios know that we won't buy it unless they they tell us that it is coming out?

Glenn

#49 of 65 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 08:31 PM

So should we add GI Joe to the list? It seems that the second part of season 2 has slipped off the radar. Now with rumors that Rhino has lost the rights to the show, it might be a very, very, very long time before we get the final release.

#50 of 65 OFFLINE   Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 11:05 AM

Now I can add my two cents on Soul Food. There is a BIG HUGE demand for this series in the African-American community, but the set was priced so high that I think it hurt sales. I think if it were $49-$55 or somewhere in that range it would have sold better. I wrote a review of the set for an online mag and still get mail about the status of future seasons. It currently airs on BET, but I would like the season sets to continue because when they re-air the show on TV it's not the same.
Dorrie webmaster for
www.imissthe80s.com
Celebrity interviews
www.thabiz.com

#51 of 65 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 03 2005 - 01:39 PM

La Femme Nikita needs an update since the 2nd Season has been given a new release date of 3/15/05.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#52 of 65 OFFLINE   John McM

John McM

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
Now I can add my two cents on Soul Food. There is a BIG HUGE demand for this series in the African-American community, but the set was priced so high that I think it hurt sales. I think if it were $49-$55 or somewhere in that range it would have sold better. I wrote a review of the set for an online mag and still get mail about the status of future seasons. It currently airs on BET, but I would like the season sets to continue because when they re-air the show on TV it's not the same.

well, that is the story with ALL pay-cable shows. Sopranos, Deadwood, Queer As Folk, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Soul Food, etc... all are at least $40-60 MORE than they really should retail for.

#53 of 65 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted January 03 2005 - 09:31 PM

I am interested in hearing some theories on why so many shows on dvd get dropped.

Here's mine: Their are quite simply TOO MANY shows available on dvd at the same time right now.

It's totally overwhelming! I know that for me, whenever i'm in the TV show section at Best Buy, I feel like the needle in the perverbial hay stack.

Is it any wonder why people may feel like their is too much pressure on them when it comes to tv shows on dvd? If I have an interest in, let's say, 8 shows, and all of them are available on dvd, i'm not a rich man and some of them are going to have to either wait (which hurts the sale of that show possibly threatening future seasons being released) or get ignored completely because of priority.

And it is true, their are MANY shows that I love on dvd right now, too many and that's the problem.

I simply can't get them all.

Now, if you times that scenario by a few hundred thousand people, their are countless shows that are going to get the boot because of the overwhelming choices available to them.

Bottom line, tv shows on dvd are a great idea, but starting to buy them is a big commitment and many are too expensive to boot (I feel for you 'Simpsons' fans, that show is what, 15 seasons long right now at 40-50 bucks a pop). The public feels as if they are drowning in a sea of choices, at least I do, and so it scares them off and they cannot buy every show they want.

By all accounts, NYPD Blue is a very popular show, or it was, so how can one explain it being dropped or delayed? Because their are other shows that people put first that's why.

The studios are simply overloading the market, pure and simple. That's just my theory, but I belive it is sound.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#54 of 65 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 03:12 AM

I think that was my theory too, about 6 or so months ago. But I know better now. What you stated is fact. No one with a normal job and (ha, ha) normal viewing habits can possibly pick up half of what they'd like to, so the rest bite it.

I'm sure that DVD sales for '04 will be higher than '03, but I can't see it getting any higher in '05. Meanwhile, we end up with half a dozen first and second seasons, waiting for the next ones to come out, and another pile of first season sets, where the 2nd season just didn't cut it.

I really wish they'd get the rest of the movies out!

Glenn

#55 of 65 OFFLINE   Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 02:19 PM

I guess you are right, but isnt "L Word" like $67 at AMAZON on sale. Soul Food season 1 is years old and it retails $89 and is only on sale for $80. Man, that is high, but it is 30 episodes. But I know sometimes you can get some of the more popular series for a bit cheaper, but you are correct the cable series, especially the hour long ones are expensive.

I know this has come up before, but if it's about cost, I wonder how much it would cost, production wise to release half a season for the people who want to buy it in two parts, and then also release the whole season.

If there is a show I REALLy want I will buy it no matter what the cost. (except the Monkees, the consumer in me is still waiting for a bargain).

But I know people like my mom, she would probably like a cheaper alternative. Most of the shows she likes are on sale now like 24, and Buffy, but if there were like half season sets, and whole season sets....just a thought.

Like the first 10 episodes of Soul Food season 1 for $29-$35 and the second half of the season for the same price. Just a wee little thought. And then also have it in packaging so if people wanted to buy the whole thing together walla...

Not for all shows, just those pricey ones....

Regarding-"well, that is the story with ALL pay-cable shows. Sopranos, Deadwood, Queer As Folk, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Soul Food, etc... all are at least $40-60 MORE than they really should retail for. "
Dorrie webmaster for
www.imissthe80s.com
Celebrity interviews
www.thabiz.com

#56 of 65 OFFLINE   Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 03:10 PM

Just pick up Soul Food here:

http://www.dvdsoon.c...s.xml?uid=50513

#57 of 65 OFFLINE   Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 03:28 PM

I'd love to see the rest of Soul Food released in season sets myself, especially the last season, which was a real pot-boiler.

#58 of 65 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 09:23 AM

I thought this excellent thread deserved a "bump" to the top, especially since a new thread on the same topic has begun recently.

CAN WE PLEASE GET A STICKY ON THIS THREAD SO IT ALWAYS REMAINS AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM LISTING?

#59 of 65 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 10:13 AM

Where is season 2 of Boomtown ?

#60 of 65 OFFLINE   Jeff'Reys

Jeff'Reys

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 08:05 PM

Quote:
But I know people like my mom, she would probably like a cheaper alternative. Most of the shows she likes are on sale now like 24, and Buffy, but if there were like half season sets, and whole season sets....just a thought.

Like the first 10 episodes of Soul Food season 1 for $29-$35 and the second half of the season for the same price. Just a wee little thought. And then also have it in packaging so if people wanted to buy the whole thing together walla...
Still waiting for the final part of the Jem! series in which the last season was split into 2 parts. This was one that really should have had a "complete" set to balance out a 2 parter.

I'd like some series to release individual disc options the way I Love Lucy did in the beginning. Best Of's would be great too but more often than not the studios seem to give us only one option when it comes to buying TV show DVDs. There's only one episode of N.Exposure I'm interested in and I'm standing my ground not buying a full season for it as I never cared for the show except for the one episode. Dukes is another where only a handful of episodes interested me.

It'd make more sense for series with continuing story arc's like Ally McBeal, Dallas and the 80s soaps to have mandatory full seasons but for series with many self-contained episodes like the murder mystery dramas Columbo, Matlock, CSI, etc, to have the option for "best of" packages.

Still, 9 times out of 10, i'd probably still go for the full-seasons.

Forum Nav Content I Follow