What's new

Consolidated thread: ABANDONED TV SERIES (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Threads keep getting started about when/whether we can expect more of X show, so I thought it would be useful to gather this info in a single thread. If you have any details or shows to add, please post them and I'll update the list.

For the purposes of this thread, abandoned shows are ones that have released at least one season or some sort of chronological release (not a themed or best-of release), the most recent volume of which came out more than one year ago, the entire show is not yet released and no further volumes have been officially announced.

The Anna Nicole Show
Lions Gate
1 of 3 seasons
last release 11/4/2003
Unknown

Baretta
Universal
1 of 4 seasons
last release 10/29/2002
unknown, probably sales.

Earth: Final Conflict
ADV
3 of 5 seasons
last release 10/28/2003
ADV only has the rghts to release seasons 3-5, which they have.

Good Neighbors
Acorn Media
1 of 4 seasons
last release 5/7/2002
The season released is the fourth of four seasons. Acorn only has the rights to season 4. The BBC has the rights to seasons 1-3 and haven't indicated that they have any plans for a release.

The Jeffersons
Columbia
2 of 11 seasons
last release: 5/13/2003
It's Columbia, so who knows? They went 17 months between seasons with All in the Family. There's probably more coming.

La Femme Nikita
Warner Bros.
1 of 5 seasons
last release 7/8/2003
2nd season was scheduled but pulled at the last minute. Chances are it will be rescheduled and releases will continue.

The Larry Sanders Show
Columbia
1 of 6 seasons
Last release 2/26/2002
A best of of is coming, but no plans for season 2. TVShows on DVD reports it hasn't been ruled out, though.

Mad About You
2 of 7 seasons
last release: 4/22/2003
There is a best-of coming in 2005, but no word on season 3.

Malcolm in the Middle
Fox
1 of 6 seasons
last release: 10/29/2002
Music rights. Should get it eventually.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Fox
1 of 7 seasons
last release: 9/24/2002
Contrary to what I said before, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports Mary Tyler Moore Season 2 is coming sometime in 2005.

NYPD Blue
Fox
2 of 12 seasons
last release: 8/19/2004
Season 3 is coming, but Fox is waiting for a good time to release it.

Once and Again
Buena Vista
1 of 3 seasons
last release: 11/5/2002
I think dropped because of sales. unlikely to get more.

Son of the Beach
Fox
1.5 of 3 seasons
last release 4/29/2003
unknown, probably sales

S.W.A.T.
Columbia
1 of 2 seasons
last release 6/3/2003
unknown, probably sales

Soul Food
Paramount
1 of 5 seasons
last release: 6/24/2003
unknown, probably sales

Twin Peaks
Artisan
1 of 2 seasons
last release 12/18/2001
The pilot isn't out in the US, but there's a region-free disc you can get from Hong Kong for a reasonable price. Good news on season 2 from lynchnet. I'd assume we'll get it in 2005 sometime.

Upright Citizens Brigade
Warner (would now be Paramount)
1 of 3 seasons
last release 11/4/2003
May have been a victim of Viacom buying out Warner's share in Comedy Central. Paramount isn't nearly as big into TV on DVD as Warner.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
You forgot The Larry Sanders Show: Season 1, it was released 2 yrs ago on 2/26/2002 & was abandoned.

Since Mad About You: Season 2 was released last yr, Season 3 could still be in production cause you mentioned that there was 17 months between the All In The Family seasons releases.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I've updates the list. Do you think I should list shows like Earth: Final Conflict where it hasn't been a year yet, but we know nothing else is coming?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I would add Barney Miller at this point too, since it's the only one of the 70s sitcoms released by Columbia to get not a peep about a possible second season, whereas "What's Happening" and "Soap" have already moved ahead to their second seasons in the announcement phase.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
technically 'Son of the Beach' has had 1 1/2 seasons released. The first release went thru Season 2, ep9 "A Tale of Two Johnsons" (ep 21), there are 22 episodes still unreleased.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Barney Miller Season One came out in January, well after Soap and what's happening. Let's give it time.

List has been updated.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I seem to remember Barney Miller coming out at the same time as Soap and What's Happening, so that's why I feel a bit uneasy about its chances right now for more.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The fourth season of Mr. Show (the third and final DVD release) will be released one month from today, on September 21, the same day as "Star Wars".

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Season One of The Upright Citizens' Brigade hit in November. I'll add it if we don't hear something soon.

Charlie's Angels season 2 only came out in April and we went nearly a year between the first two seasons, so I wouldn't count it out yet.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I don't recall on Soap, but What's Happening was released in February, after Barney Miller had already been out, although I do agree it is too soon to add it to the list.

I like the idea of this thread, unfortunately it won't help with what I really don't care for which is those threads asking about a show's second season when its first season was just released like 2 or 3 months ago.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Think I should add the Anna Nicole Show to this list? It has about 6 weeks before it hits the year mark, but I've heard nothing about a season 2 release.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Great list! The date on SOUL FOOD should read 2003, not 3003. :)

Would you be interested in adding the Studio to your list?

BARETTA: Universal
JEFFERSONS: Columbia
LA FEMME NIKITA: Warner Bros
LARRY SANDERS SHOW: Columbia
MAD ABOUT YOU: Columbia
MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE: Fox
MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW: Fox
NYPD BLUE: Fox
ONCE AND AGAIN: Buena Vista
SON OF THE BEACH: Fox
S.W.A.T.: Columbia
SOUL FOOD: Paramount
TWIN PEAKS: Artisan (soon to be Paramount)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Good Neighbors - Only season 4 (of 4 seasons total) has been released.

Also - The Lost World - There is no release announcement for the last season - 3.

...and Yes, this is a great idea!

Thanks, Glenn

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Added a few shows. The Lost World has only been a few months, so I haven't put it on the list. I did add a few that haven't been quite a year yet, though. If anyone can give further details about Earth: Final Conflict (who owns the first two seasons) that would be appreciated.

Also, further details about the Anna Nicole Show would be good. I'm not sure if Lions Gate has the rights to release the whole show or if the only got the rights to the first season, and if so, who owns the rights?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks