Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Klipsch Kornerhorn Speakers, you like??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 01:55 PM

Greetings all! My wife and I are designing a new home with a large (38x60) audio/HT room. I have a chance on a set of K'horns at an excellent price. What are your opinions on using them in this situation with a very good subwoofer? I know it is way too early to think about speakers but the price is a once in a lifetime deal. JD

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 02:08 PM

I own a pair of Belles now, and had a pair of Klipschorns in our 43x14 foot basement (only a pair of Onix Ref 3's could get me to part with them)... I cannot think of a better choice for that HUGE room... Posted Image
Craig Chase

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   dave alan

dave alan

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 02:59 PM

I agree with Craig!

That's the longest running, virtually unchanged loudspeaker design in the History of home audio.

And, it is for a reason. Big, beautiful, super-effecient and sweeeeeeeeet. Posted Image

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I will let you know if I get them. Meanwhile, what sub would you use? JD

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 04:01 PM

Well... Depending on the ceiling height... you have between 16,000 and 24,000 cubic feet.... How much money are you willing to spend ?
Craig Chase

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   MikeNg

MikeNg

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 09:06 PM

Get them man! Those things are classics.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 09:47 PM

Just curious - what's the price? And if you pass on them, give me an opportunity - you never know. Do you know what their vintage is? I owned Klipschorns waaaay back when, when I first got into high-end audio in the mid-seventies. I loved them, but then for a time I came under the thrall of those little "audiophile" rags, who were quite down on them, and sold them. I have forever regretted that decision. There is no speaker quite like the Klipshorn. Their low distortion and easy dynamics are very addictive. They couple into the room like nothing else, which can be a problem if you're in an apartment. I recall the times I really let them loose and found out just how tight the construction in my home is (not tight enough). Rattling walls and windows will impress you and and your co-listeners at first, but become an annoyance in the long run. For HT you'll need a subwoofer. They're ok as is for music, unless you're into organ music. I do have a criticism of the Klipschorn. This is not of the current design, which uses a single horn (and which I haven't encountered yet), but of the previous, long-in-production model which used a midrange and tweeter horn, the one you're probably getting. The K-Horn crosses over from the woofer to the midrange horn at around 400 Hz. Proper design requires that drivers should have flat response through the crossover for maybe an octave or so. A correctly designed horn with flat response that low would be enormous; bigger (and deeper), in fact, than the entire speaker. I also believe that 400 Hz is asking too much of the folded bass section. To get around this, there ought to have been another speaker (a cone?) between the woofer and midrange. I believe this flaw does lead, at least partially, to a "Klipschorn" sound. But I am no speaker designer and so it is very likely that I am operating under false assumptions. P.S. I met the late Paul Klipsch once in the early 80's. Very tall and thin, and quite a character. A true legend.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 21 2004 - 02:22 AM

Craig- will probably go with an 8' ceiling but we can change that if necessary as we are still in the planning stage. Would like to keep the cost around $2K and am willing to buy used. Mike & Alan- I have been watching K'horns for sale (these are 1978's) and there always seems to be a pair or two around for $1500-$2500 but always a long way from me. A friend bought a pair 10 years ago and we set up an audio room for him with a B&W 12" powered sub that was just awesome but his room was considerably smaller. Call me an idiot if you like, but I have always believed that one can set up a killer sound system on a buget, and by that I mean under $10K, that will do everything you need it to do and more. I just don't see these 6+ figure systems justifying themselves no matter what the audiophile mags say. There, I've said it, flame on!

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted August 21 2004 - 02:35 AM

JayD ... No flaming from this direction. With a 60x38x8 foot room, The first thing I would recommend is some form of vaulted ceiling, even if the peak is only 10 feet, it will eliminate a major response peak at 70 Hz. Your next two resonances will be at 15 and 9 Hz... For that size room, and with a $2000 budget, we need to concentrate on the 25 Hz and up bass. You will be surprised how deep that really is. So we won't need to worry about those resonances, and you will have a null at 23 Hz ... still not an issue. There is info on some newer subwoofers coming out that look to be very high output. Depending on your time frame... there will be several options.
Craig Chase

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Craig, a vaulted ceiling will be tough as this is a basement room. Not impossible, just tough. We are realistically 6 months from construction beginning so I think we have time to check out these new subs. JD

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 01:42 PM

That will be tough... and not quite THAT important... For the $$$ the vaulted ceiling would cost, we could get you into some SERIOUS subwoofers... Could you convince your wife that the $12,000 you save NOT doing a vaulted ceiling should go into your speaker fund ?
Craig Chase

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 01:50 PM

No problem! I'll just use her favorite line when she's been shopping "Look at all the money I saved us!" Posted Image What is the serious sub you refer to?

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 01:57 PM

Well... Quad SVS PB2+ come to mind... (yes, that has been around a while... but still a great choice... 8 x 12 inch drivers... large enclosures, great sound.... and under $5000)... Some others are due out in the next 3-6 months...
Craig Chase

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 02:20 PM

OK, in the mean time we will continue working on the design of the room. Are there any books you can suggest to help with this as we are first time HT builders?

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 02:27 PM

The Robb Report might be a bit over budget... Posted Image ...

I can't think of any books offhand... Two of the dimensions are so big that resonance won't be an issue...

I would read Edward JM's subwoofer tests ... both are right here, under his signature you will find links to them.

And keep reading the threads here... a lot of good stuff.

I would also recommend talking to Ron Stimpson at SVS ... They DO specialize in high output subs...

You could also contact Mark Seaton at Servodrive.com ... They make the ContraBass and B-Deap... HUGE output subwoofers...

Both these gentlemen KNOW their stuff.
Craig Chase

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 24 2004 - 03:01 PM

Actually I meant books regarding the design of the room. Don't need to get the cart before the horse as they say. JD

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave Man

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 01:45 AM

JayD, You should venture on over to the Klipsch website and check out the architectural section. There is some really good information there and an architect who contributes regularly. David

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   JayD

JayD

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 02:11 PM

Thank you David I will do just that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users