-

Photo
- - - - -

movie theater speaker setup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 PeterK

PeterK

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 12:15 PM

I was wondering what kind of setup do movie theaters use for speakers. Like the center channel. At home I can hear it very precicely from the speaker, but at the movies it just comes from the screen. And how about the surround speakers. I counted either 8 or 10 at our theaters are they all surrounds and rears. If so do the all produce the same sound. So they're would be a center 2 mains 6 surrounds and 2 rears? I think a diagram of what sounds are comming out of what speakers would really help me out here if someone has one handy?
Vin Diesel will never, ever buy Bose

#2 of 4 Mike LS

Mike LS

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 01:13 AM

From the theaters I've seen in different & various stages of construction it seems that there is usually a solid row of speakers & subs behind the screen in a commercial theater. There's not a whole lot of seperation between them so you can't pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from.

As for the surrounds...the number they use is usually dependant on how long the theater room is. They're still only playing 5.1 or 6.1. The extra speakers are simply matrixed and delayed so the sound cascades from the front to the back.

Now in the case of a room with say 10 surrounds down the sides walls and 6 on the back wall, I couldn't tell you which speakers are playing the side surround and where the rear surround starts.

I don't have a diagram, but the link below is to some construction pictures of a private screening room a guy built. It's as close to "commercial" setup as I've seen documented.

http://www.film-tech...ftsr/ftsr1.html

Scroll through the pages and you'll see how the speakers are arranged.

#3 of 4 Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:11 AM

Quote:
I think a diagram of what sounds are comming out of what speakers would really help me out here if someone has one handy?
From Dolby Labs website ...

Posted Image

For more INFO, click HERE!

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#4 of 4 PeterK

PeterK

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 10:15 AM

thanks guys. thats basically what I was looking for. Posted Image
Vin Diesel will never, ever buy Bose