What's new

Using car power adapter with portable DVD player (1 Viewer)

Keith Royer

Auditioning
I'm looking for some advice. I just bought a Samsung DVD-L200 portable DVD player for my one year old to watch during a 6 hour car trip. It comes with a power cord that would plug into an AC power outlet. This plugs into a power converter of some sort that has a DC connector that plugs into the side of the player. The power connection on the player says 8.4 V DC. My question is, Can I use a 9V cigarette lighter adapter straight into the DVD player itself? or do I have to use the power converter at all times, which means I have to buy a more expensive car adapter?

Sorry if this is confusing, but if you can help me I would really be thankful.

Thanks,

Keith

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
You should be able to used the 9V adapter without issue. The extra 0.6V shouldn't be a problem for the DVD player.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Brad is probably right. The 0.6V shouldn't make any difference. If you're concerned, put an ordinary diode in the + line for a convenient 0.6V to 0.7V drop.

In any event, make sure the current capability of your power adapter (and the diode if you use one) is greater than the current draw from your DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks