Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Using car power adapter with portable DVD player

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Keith Royer

Keith Royer

• 11 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 03:35 AM

I'm looking for some advice. I just bought a Samsung DVD-L200 portable DVD player for my one year old to watch during a 6 hour car trip. It comes with a power cord that would plug into an AC power outlet. This plugs into a power converter of some sort that has a DC connector that plugs into the side of the player. The power connection on the player says 8.4 V DC. My question is, Can I use a 9V cigarette lighter adapter straight into the DVD player itself? or do I have to use the power converter at all times, which means I have to buy a more expensive car adapter? Sorry if this is confusing, but if you can help me I would really be thankful. Thanks, Keith

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 05:29 AM

You should be able to used the 9V adapter without issue. The extra 0.6V shouldn't be a problem for the DVD player.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Dave Milne

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 07:46 AM

Brad is probably right. The 0.6V shouldn't make any difference. If you're concerned, put an ordinary diode in the + line for a convenient 0.6V to 0.7V drop. In any event, make sure the current capability of your power adapter (and the diode if you use one) is greater than the current draw from your DVD player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users