What's new

Powershot G3 problem (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Consider me a mad Canon customer. I bought a Powershot G3 backin May'03 which is now 2 months out of warentee. Something is ever messed up with the shutter button or something internal (software, hardware?) The camera acts as if the shutter button is partially depressed. I turn the camera on and immediately I get a focus-lock indicator in the viewfinder. Zoom doesn't work. When the camera is in the play mode, I cannot go forward or back to previous pictures.

Now I'm stuck with a crippled camera. Canon says $175 is the usual estimate for fix or I can upgrade to a G5 for $300 + Shipping.

Don't need a G5, see that that G3 seems to be discontinued. (is there anything majorly different between the G3 and G5 besides the G5 being a 5MP camera and also black?

They say that they will do an estimate first if I ship it to them sans battery and sans CF card and I don't know if it's worth it. $175 is really steep for a stinkin 1 year old camera, especially when I'd like to get something more compact...

Jay

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
It sucks when something breaks right after the warranty period is over. One of the reasons I never go for an extended warranty plan is that many problems appear during the warranty period and it's already covered. If it breaks after a couple of years you’re ready for a newer model anyway. So it hurts when something like this happens.

If I were in your shoes I would not spend $175.00 to get the camera fixed. I would consider the camera broken and be prepared to purchase a camera that has better performance and that I would like more than the G3.

If you decide to consider the camera to be broken then you might want to consider a fix yourself that might not work. For example you could remove the battery and CF card and spray contact cleaner into the switch. Operate the switch several times without the battery in the camera while doing this. You could then use a hair dryer with the heat switch off to dry the solvent. You could then let the camera dry for a few hours then insert the battery and see if the switch is still making a half-pressed permanent contact. If it works you just saved your camera. If smoke pours out and your camera is destroyed you haven’t lost much.

TimDoss

Second Unit
It's probably just a build up of dirt and grease in the button
assembly... best case, a good cleaning should fix it, worst case, a new assembly will be in order. Either way, if you're
happy with the camera then pay to have it done. Take it to a local camera shop and get some estimates, screw sending it back to canon $175 is regoddamndiculous. As far as upgrading to
the G5, not everything I've heard makes it sound like a good upgrade. Unless you're going to be printing out huge prints, you don't need the 5MP, and it being 5MP it will take longer to write to the CF card also. You have a great camera, and even at the f'ed up price of $175 canon wants, you're likely to
have a great camera for a long time.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for the input, the only redeeming factor for Canon is that the person said that they will do an estimate first and then get back to me whether I'd want it done or not....

I've heard that the A80 has just been discontinued or so, might look into it.

I'd need a camera that does CF as I already have like 1/2 a gig in CF cards and regular batteries is preferred but not a requirement. The G3 has a very good battery life from my experience even with a battery pack (not a big user of the LCD except for reviewing shots.)

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
AAHHH, I may have averted disaster, I took a nail clipper's nail file and kind of wedgied it in the shutter button and Zoom button (if you're familiar with the G3, the zoom control is a ring around the shutter button. Somehow I managed to do something that now it's back to normal. Perhaps the spring under the button got caught or something and was perpetually being pushed. Now, the camera seems to be functioning normal.

Yay!

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Just a short update, took the G3 on a backpacking trip in the White Mountains (The Pemigewassets to be specific) this past weekend and the camera performed flawlessly.. Woohoo! Maybe I'll post some pictures when I get them online...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks