What's new

DLP vs Lcos vs LCD (1 Viewer)

Dan:L

Grip
Hey guys,(I don't know if this is in the right place but...)

I'm currently shopping for a big screen HDTV. I'm certainly not going to buyt CRT or plasma. So do you have any suggestions on which is better? A lcd, dlp, or lcos?

Thanks

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Lcos isn't quite ready for prime time (yet) from a cost/reliability/performace standpoint....IMO

Mort

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
None of the flat panels are ready yet. Stick with CRT until they get the resolution up and the prices down.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
nice s&v article

that being said, i haven't seen an lcos yet. but, there is absolutely nothing wrong with dlp or lcd. true, if you want the best picture possible, and you're happy with a 34" wide-screen tube, and you don't mind a big honkin' box - then a tube is the perfect choice.

but...

if you want anything bigger then 34", wide-screen, direct view, traditional tube-tv, then you gotta go with a fixed-pixel display. in this case meaning dlp or lcd.

people argue that dlps give you better blacks, but i say they're pretty darn close to lcd. i always tell my customers their different technologies that yield the same results: bright picture, thin/lightweight tv, good off-axis viewing, hd quality, etc.

for lcd's, i like sonys. for dlp's, i like samsung (although mits has a pretty sweet dlp that just came out).

edit - adjusted terminology to keep chris wiggles happy. ;)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
65" CRT rear projection TVs have been around for years.

For what it is worth; things may be different with rear projection TVs, but with front projectors, DILA/LCOS can produce some of the best images with the exception of absolute black level and contrast ratio (which DLP currently dominates).

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
I will make a suggestion, before you buy anything, please give a chance to some Front Projector option (Try a Infocus X1 -> 900 US$ or Infocus 4805 -> 1500 US$), I try one of them this past weekend, and i change my mind, a 2.5 Meters Screen (Width) is something not even the biggest plasma could beat!! (There are a lot of advantages of plasma, but in my case, size change everything)...

Try it, if you don't like it, you won't lose anything...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

WTF!? Hello Qualia!? Anybody?

Can the original poster please explain more what his needs are and budget? And why CRT and plasma were scratched off the list? Because besides some of these posts being TOTALLY factually bonkers, there is no answerable question yet...

He could want a little TV, he could be on a small budget, he could be talking RPTVs, FPs, big budget, you have no idea.

Sorry if this post sounded terse, but WTF?! :thumbsdown:

:frowning:

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, here are three questions that if answered will make it much easier to recommend a TV for you. What is the maximum budget that you can spend for the TV? Will the TV be in a room that can be kept dark? How big is the room where the TV will be kept?

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if he wants a "big" screen LCD or DLP, he's talking (I guess?) about 45-60" and spending between $2800 and $$$ungodly$$...

If he's rich, I suggest the Sony Grand Wega 60" (RP-LCD). It will blow your socks off, or perhaps your wallet, or both. Keep in mind that the native resolution is limited to ~720, as all flat panel-type sets are (though I guess 1080 panels are about to be released, but will cost upwards of $8000?)

If he's not rich but still wants a 45-60" screen, I highly suggest you look at the traditional RPTVs (RP-CRT) as the quality on them has come a long way, and with proper calibration can easily rival their LCD/DLP counterparts, at HALF the price! (Well under $2000 for a 50"+ set.)

If he only needs a smaller set, 32-34", then direct-view CRT will give you the best picture, but also the biggest and heaviest box. But at that size, direct view LCD isn't bad either since the smaller size will hide the 720 limitation somewhat.

Good luck...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You have it backwards. CRTs are the standard, and remain the reference display. It is instead the digital counterparts of DLP/LCD etc that have come a long way, and are beginning to rival CRTs.

Porter

Grip
Not only are rear projection CRT;s the least expensive they still offer the best picture. Even places like bestbuy and crutchfield's websites admit to that, so I'm not sure where everyone is getting there info.

Rear projection CRT's can be atleast 65 inches, though they do get rather heavy and big at that size, unlike their newer counterparts.

Second you definatly need to answer those questions to get any info that will help you personally. Also how far you will sit away from the TV would help to.

I'd second the idea to take alook at front projection it wasn't for me but they are a hell of a deal.

Come on now fellas we can give people better info then this!

good luck

Ph

Gladd to see some of us payed more attention
Jeff W. Sean Bryan ChrisWiggles

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

Except for the fact that the questioner stated in his post that he had ruled out CRT and plasma.....and by assumption it was RPCRT to which he referred. Whatever.

The latest incarnation of Lcos I've seen (again assuming we're referring to desktop units vs projectors) were the Philips Cineos (sp) units. They looked poor (washed out for lack of a better term) in the stores I viewed them in and those same stores seemed to have trouble keeping them operational. The prior Toshiba models were not well received, again due to operational problems. Intel has announced that their Lcos chipset will not be ready this year....not ready for prime time....at least not in the desktop market.

Mort

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
My point of view on LCOS comes from the FP world, and there, they are from the time I've spent viewing, the best digitals going (SXRD). Perhaps not applicable here, but again, you just assume the poster was talking RPTVs, and we have no idea his budget, needs or what he's talking about...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay, maybe i should clarify.

when i said 34" ws, i meant *tube* tv. i would think you guys could figure that out. sheesh!

it's kinda obvious that they make rptv's bigger then that...plus he mentioned specifically lcd or dlp.

edit. hell, i did clarify. maybe some other people need to pay attention....

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ted, your original statement, then, was hideously confusing, which surprised me coming from you.

And you don't mean "tube TV," you mean direct view, not 'tube' because CRT based projection sets, be they front or rear, of course also use crts.... ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay, *now* we're being anal. ;)

let me clarify one more time. you cannot get any larger then a 34", wide-screen, direct-view, crt. working at bb, i've gotten into the habit of just calling these damn things tube tv's. makes it much easier to talk to customers that way.

did i mention sheesh!!!

ps chris - i edited my original post... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks