What's new

Will There be a ST: Next Generation Complete Series DVD Set? (1 Viewer)

Shannon B

Grip
I know that Star Trek: The Next Generation has been released on DVD for all seasons, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any plans to release the whole series as one set like will be done for Star Trek the original series.

Thoughts?

Speculation?

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
The original series is not being released as one set, but by seasons as was done with Next Generation.

Shannon B

Grip

Actually there's a lot of discussion about the original series being released both ways. In December it's scheduled to be released as a series set. Please check out the Star Trek TOS discussion in HT Software - TV Shows section(since I am not allowed to link to it directly).

Shannon

Eric F

Screenwriter
Shannon, I'm not sure what you're asking here.

The TOS being "released as one set" is just all 3 seasons packaged together- there is no difference.

If you're looking for a packaged deal on TNG you should check eBay, as quite a few sellers are offering it this way- just be carefull it's not a bootleg- but you should be OK.

Shannon B

Grip
Actually there is some discussion that TOS might be different when it's released as a series instead of just in seasons. They might include some extras that aren't in the season sets.

What I'm asking is, does anyone know if there are any plans for ST:TNG to be released as a series (all seasons together).

I realize that I can buy each season individually now, but since a lot of shows are being released as a series and sometimes there's extra stuff or a price break when their released this way I thought I'd ask about it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this in my original post.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure I read that they would be doing this. It's just all the already released boxes pacakged together. I'll try and figure out where I read it, but if I remember correctly, it should be out before the end of the year.

Anyone else know?

Vincent-P

Second Unit
From The Digital Bits:

"(EARLY UPDATE - 6/21/04 - 12:01 AM PDT)

Morning, folks! Hope you all had a great weekend.

I wanted to let you know that I've OFFICIALLY confirmed the specs for the Star Trek: Generations - Special Collector's Edition (from Friday's post) with Paramount, and updated them accordingly. Both Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS 5.1 audio WILL be included.

Also, be aware that retail sources have given us the street dates for the rest of the Star Trek DVDs due in 2004. Star Trek: Voyager - Season Three is due on 7/6, with Season Four on 9/28, Season Five on 11/2, Season Six on 12/7 and Season Seven on 12/21. After Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One hits stores on 8/31, watch for Season Two on 11/2 and Season Three on 12/7. Complete series sets will be released (or re-released) as well - The Original Series (12/7), The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine (both 10/26) and Voyager (12/21). And don't forget, Enterprise (and possibly The Animated Series) is coming in 2005, along with a Star Trek: First Contact - Special Collector's Edition. Insurrection will likely get 2-disc collector's edition treatment later in 2005 as well. Any way you slice it, that's a lot of Trek on DVD."

thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa90.html

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
At one time, there was a post on this forum of a package for the UK Region that was a "Borg" cube box set of the entire Star Trek TNG series on DVD. Maybe one year ago? It was pricey too.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
DVDPlanet has the Deep Space 9 super box set preorder listed for the college-fund crushing sale price of $577 and some change. The MSRP is over $800!

Methinks a one-shot purchase of everything Trek is not in my immediate future
frown.gif

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Hey folks --

I've searched previous threads for more info on the various versions of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and this is the most relevant thread I could find -- although it hasn't been touched in almost two years. :)

So: a question. I know that all seven seasons of ST:TNG have been released separately. I also know there is a box set of all seven seasons available. Is this box set simply a packaging together of all seven individually-released seasons? Or do the individual seasons contain additional info and extras that the box set doesn't have?

The reason I ask this is because Amazon is currently listing the "seasons 1-7 box set" at $373, with a list price of $520. This doesn't seem quite right, since DVDPlanet has it for $618 with a list price of over $820. Also, Amazon lists the individual season 7 of the series for about $135, which is a full third of the "seasons 1-7 box set" price, and most of the other individual seasons are about that same price.

So -- does Amazon have a bare-bones edition of the "complete series", or are they just offering a huge $300+ discount which I should grab up before they change their minds?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Here's a direct link to the "complete series box set" at Amazon:

ST:TNG, the Complete Series

And here's another one for what appears to be the same thing at DVD Planet:

ST:TNG, the Complete Series

What am I missing, folks? Help me out here. :)

cheers,
Phil

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
Check out this thread Phil:

Star Trek Price Drop

and when you say this:

The answer is: sort of...

As the original releases had bonus discs. I don't know if these discs are still available....but they were included when the sets were first released.

As to your probable next question:
I don't know what is on these extra discs.

Also (as per the above mentioned thread), check out Deep Discount DVD to see what there price is.

Edit: Here it is:
ST:TNG, the Complete Series ($314.59)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Eric, thanks for the reply (and the link -- I should have used "Star Trek" as the search terms instead of just "Next Generation", I guess). So from what I understand, there's only one version of the "complete set", and it's pretty much a repackaged collection of all seven separate seasons? (can anybody else confirm that?)

Because, hell, I do want to own all seven, and at a price of about $300 for all seven series, I mean, damn. Especially considering some of the individual seasons are still showing at $100 and up.

cheers,
Phil

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
If I had to guess, they're probably the same as the standalone season box sets, save that an additional "tray" is provided which seats all 7 boxes -- this was precisely what the "complete" TOS turned out to be: the 3 sets slipped into a tray, then shrink-wrapped and sold as a package.

The main draw to me would be the price. Sounds quite competitive, so unless you're holding out for the inevitable high-def re-release, you might as well jump in.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Folks, this is Paramount we're talking about; so don't expect the complete sets to have anything new in them over the season sets.

Hi-Def is afaik useless for TNG and DS9, and most likely Voyager as well since they were made in SD (though you'd likely get seasons on fewer discs, and less compressed). Enterprise was made in HD wasn't it?

HD would be worth it for TOS, then you could see all that dirt, muck and film damage in all it's glory!

Same goes for the films; Paramount should be ashamed of prints they have used for the DVD releases.

The franchise is sufficiently popular and profit making that they could surely have done proper restorations on all this. Cheapskates!

Besides, the complete sets in r2 were pretty hideous looking things.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Richard, with a price of $300something for the complete set, but single seasons still listed at over $100, I was more concerned that the single seasons might have stuff that the complete set did NOT.

I don't think HD would be useful for TNG either so it sounds like I need to pick the complete set up in a hurry before they change their minds.

Thanks Yee-Ming and Richard for the responses.

cheers,
Phil

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Yup. Paramount should have taken a hint from Warner with their Friends/West Wing sets.

Ten bucks says the "bonus disc" will combine the featurettes found on the Best Buy exclusive discs, so, in essence, nothing new. :rolleyes

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
If they put something into a full seven season box set, they would not keep it a secret. They are in the business to make money, and if they put something extra in a set, they would mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks