What's new

An odd request - Waltzing Matilda (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for some good free recorded versions of Waltzing Matilda without vocals. Doesn't matter what the arrangements are, as long as I can edit and use the files on the PC.

If all this sounds weird, I'm authoring a DVD containing various footage of a friend's trip to Australia. I really wanted Waltzing Matilda on the opening menu. The only bits I've managed to find on the web so far have been short, low quality clips.

I never did get into the whole file-sharing and MP3 download scene, so if anyone could get hold of some versions, or at least point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Good on ya!

Rob

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have always wondered, is this Austalia's national anthem or is it Advance Australia Fair?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
No, AAF is the national anthem but I think God Save The Queen is played at royal events. Matilda is a kind-of 'unofficial' anthem - quite a nationalistic piece.

francisco-a

Agent
I think if you really need it you can search it on a P2p software under "backing track". I´ve found many files that are only the music, is like a perfect karaoke.
BTW, is Watzing Matilda the same song that Rod Stewart plays in his Unplugged?.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think Rod does a version on that album. I might look that up actually, always liked old Rod's voice.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
The Rod Stewart version of Waltzing Matilda is a remake of the Tom Waits song, Waltzing Matilda. This song is no relation to the unofficial anthem of Australia.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

There are a bunch of people who want the national anthem changed to Matilda but it would seem most people don't want an anthem that is about a man thieving sheep. :)

Sorry, I couldn't find any non-vocal versions of the song.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
That's OK folks, thanks anyway. I decided on a different track in the end and went with 'Australia' by the Manic Street Preachers. I've also done a nice 40 second montage of her parachute drop video to the sound of Tom Petty's 'Free fallin' :)

Cary_H

Second Unit

I recall a few short years ago, a long-running feud around any "official" use of WM by the Aussies resurfaced.
The composer of WM was an American, and not an Aussie as you'd think. I recall the dispute is some sort of copyright or ownership thing.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Actually, the Tom Waits song, though it references "Waltzing Matilda," is actually called "Tom Traubert's Blues."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks