What's new

Well I am finally starting my HT room (1 Viewer)

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Well its offical LOL(ordered everything)

Optoma H77
Lexicon RV-8
IScanHD with SDI
Pioneer DV59-Avi with SDI
Rockets by Onix 7 channel package
SVS PB2 plus
Da-lite CV 119" fixed wall scrren with pro-edge

Now I finally moved into my new house and boy am I pooped, we moved everthing ourselves.

Had the materials for the basement delivered though

I just had 45 sheets of 4x8 and 45 sheets of 4x12 Drywall delivered and Home Depot is delivering over 200 2x4's, 2x6's etc, about 2000 Linear feet of insulation.

So its time to get cracking on the home theater(have to build a craft room for the misses and a 3rd bath and, etc)

The whole walkout basement is 2000 sq ft so you get the idea. I will post a ton of pics as I go . I will be doing 100% of the work myself, so I hope to be done with the HT room in 8 weeks and the rest of the basement by spring.

Steve

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator

Jim_Ski

Agent
Steve,

good luck! I just finished an ~1100 sf basement, and it took me a tad over 8 weeks (roughly a year ;) ) As a matter of fact we should have our final inspection(s) tomorrow (hooray).

One thing I did that I'd recommend is putting a subfloor down over the concrete. I used Dricore (www.dricore.com) and have been happy with it (I used it under carpet and pergo). Keep in mind you'll need to make sure your door openings compensate for any change in flooring.

A word of caution: once you finish that theater... the rest of the basement is sure to suffer slowdowns! :D

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I was just telling my fiance that last night. I will finish the 2 rooms in about 8 weeks and the rest of the basement in 8 months, heheheh.

I will look into the sub-floor, but I am reaching my limit funds wise and with the walkout basement and padding underneath the carpet I should be fine.

I know alot of times its not wise to have padding in the basement, because its like a sponge if water gets to it, but we had like 8" of rain in 2 days back in June and not 1 drop in the basement and the sump was dry and there were not even any gutter on at that time.

What is the price sq footage wise? and is it easy to install?

Steve

Jim_Ski

Agent
it's roughly $5 per 4 sq ft section (2'x2').

Even though water is not seeping in (good thing), moisture still will come up through your floor and may cause annoyances (stains, mold, smells). I notice you're in WI so may have chilly winters. I'm in MN myself, and the small R-factor was a big win for me. Dricore claims an R-2 with about an 8 degree increase in floor temp.

It was a breeze to install as it's floating and nail/glue-less (tongue-and-groove).

BrianKR

Second Unit

I feel your pain in reverse.
I just got done hauling 36 sheets of busted up drywall upstairs and outside. I am rebuilding my HT room and adding a bathroom in the basement. It's a ton of work, but it's a great feeling doing it yourself.

Good luck to you on your project.:emoji_thumbsup:
I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator

I put up 24 more feet of wall tonight, no pics though, camera needs batteries. Tomorrow night I will build shelves in the mechanical area for my fiance. So back to the HT room on Thursday, I only have about 24ft of wall to go, but the corner will be a 45deg turn, so it will take a bit longer

I hope to get that up by friday and have all the electrical run Sat and HVAC Sunday :)

Steve

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Excellent Steve, keep the pics coming. Half the fun of my HT was building it.

If you can, shrink down the size of your pics. Even with my high-speed connection they are slow loading.

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I think it is alot of fun building it up from scratch :)

OK here are a few more pics. I had to put up shelves, so only got one more wall in plus figured out the 45deg corner.

Here is a few more pics(darn camera is not focusing right, urgh)

http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4128.JPG

http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4129.JPG

http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4130.JPG

Finally pulled the SVS out of the box and my 750 sig Rockets and all I have to say is DAMMMMMMMMM, and I thought I had here bass before.

http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4132.JPG

http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4134.JPG

Steve

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
The Framing is 99% done, I just have to frame in the equipment rack.

Here are a few more pics.

Had to frame in the duct/beam and the water pipes which was a pain to get level
http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4138.JPG

The 8" Riser
http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4139.JPG

and the equipment rack space and door to access from behind
http://www.stevesreefroom.com/DSCN4140.JPG

I hope to get the wiring electical wiring done tomorrow. I will be puting in

12 recessed lights in the HT room(24x15 room)
3 recessed lights in the equipment room(12x3.5 room)
6 or 8 wall sconces in the HT room
9 recessed lights in the craft room(12x14 room)

Steve

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Looking good. I'll bet that each time you go into that room you can hardly wait for it to get done.

Parker

BrianKR

Second Unit
WOW you are kickn bootie Steve! :emoji_thumbsup:
What did you use to build your equipment rack?
It looks nice and solid.

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Parker, yes you are right, I actually am hoping to finish just before the Packers opening in 3 weeks, but the finished work will slow me down. Plus the wifes is getting sick of me re-arranging the living room to project the picture on the back wall, hehehe.

Brian, the equipment rack believe it or not was part of a entertainment center that didn't fit into our master bedroom, so I cut the equipment rack off and ended up making a nice TV stand for the 32" in the bedroom.

I will finish the HVAC tomorrow night and will also have the rough in electrical/cable/speaker wire finished.

If I push, I will have the insulation and drywall up by Sunday night, but we will see :)

Then comes the mudding of the drywall, not looking forward to that :frowning:

Steve

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Good luck and stay motivated. I decided to not buy the projector until my theater is done. Otherwise, I'd just want to sit around and watch movies instead of working on the HT. The result has been me working on it every waking moment. :)

I don't know if it's too late, but you may want to add a few inches to that riser. Depending on your seating setup, 8" may not be enough. Just an observation that many people have had. I went with a 10.5" riser. No word on the results yet though as my couches are still in the garage waiting for the riser to be carpeted, and for the room to be painted.

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
I still have time to add a few inches to the riser, but on one side my the ceiling is 6'10" and witht he riser its 6'2", and a 10" riser will bring it to 6' even, but thats only one chair out of 7.

True I want to watch the projector, but it isnt slowing me down. I have the heating/cooling supply/returns done and just have the 8 recessed light to wire tomorrow and then I will drywall the outside walls so I can insulation the walls without it falling right through.

If I stay on my time schedule I might be done by Monday night football on the 13th of Sept.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks