Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

White Flashes during DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephan J.

Stephan J.

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:23 PM

I have an Hitachi 57f500 and Sony DVD player. While watching rental DVD's I have had white flashes appear around the edges of the screen. This has happened with three different players. I don't think it is the TV because it only happens during DVD's. It doesn't happen with DVD's I own except after I watch a rental disc. Then it happens, but eventually stops. Just wondering if rental discs are causing some sort of damage or if anyone else has heard of this happening. It is extremely distracting and I have not had any luck with the manufacturers. Thanks in advance.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 04:11 AM

Maybe you need more overscan on your TV. On many (CRT) TV sets the picture is slightly smaller when the overall content is darker, and ragged edges of the video frame may be coming into view.

Also the DVD players might be formatting the video signal so the picture appears slightly narrower than from other sources such as your VCR. This is normal, within tolerances I don't know.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 05:07 AM

Stephan,

Can you "frame step" through the DVD and find the frames with the white flashes, or does it only happen during real-time playback?

Can you freeze an errored frame on screen?

My initial reaction would be an overscan issue as well, but it doesn't explain why it happens only on rental discs (although, this could be a mind trick, that you are looking for it on rentals more closely, having convinced yourself that is the source of the problem).

-Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephan J.

Stephan J.

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 10:32 AM

I cannot frame step, it happens all the time. I've noticed now that it happens also when the dvd is not being played but the player is on. It does not occur until I turn the player on. Again though, it does not happen all the time. I went three months without seeing it at all.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 11:28 AM

my guess is this is somehow related to your dvd input. does it only happen when watching dvd's? what about when watching regular tv?

i really doubt it's a rental dvd issue.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 11:46 AM

I cannot frame step, it happens all the time.

So what you're saying is that it is not affiliated with the actual video information on the disc (it is not an error in a frame): You can't freeze a single frame and find the error-- but rather it is an impulse coming from the player/ display itself: regardless of the status of the DVD?

If you don't put in a DVD and just have the player on (with no disc inserted)- does it also flash?

I'm guessing if it happened with several players that it is the input on your TV or receiver that your DVD player is connected to.

Is your video switching done on the set, or via the receiver (is the dvd player video send connected directly to the TV set or routed thorugh a receiver first)?

Am i correct in assuming you have a specific video input that the dvd player is always connected to (on the Tv set or the receiver)? Have you ever tried hooking a different device (like a VCR or Cable box) to this input instead and see if the flashing happens?
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 11:47 AM

rental dvd's are the same thing as you buy so that shouldn't make a difference, I'm thinking something with the input, do you have anything else you can put on that input? or possibly another input for dvd (component 2 instead of 1)

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephan J.

Stephan J.

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies. First my dvd player is hooked straight to the tv on component video. I have tried different inputs and it still does this. Also, when it flashes it will do it with the movie playing AND with just the player on. But it does it at random times. Also I can turn the player off and sometimes it will stop. Again, thanks for the assistance.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 05:56 PM

Quote:
I have tried different inputs and it still does this. Also, when it flashes it will do it with the movie playing AND with just the player on.
sounds like a bad dvd player. try a different dvd player if possible.

also, you didn't answer whether this happens when you're watching regular tv or not.

point is, i think this is related to your dvd player (or maybe bad cables) and not your tv ... that's a good thing.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephan J.

Stephan J.

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 01:35 AM

It does not happen with regular tv or vcr. I have changed dvd players but not cables. I will try that and see if it helps.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephan J.

Stephan J.

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 04:50 AM

I tried an s-video and it still happened. It only happens on dvd's though.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 05:59 AM

okay, so let's see.

it only happens when watching dvd's, not regular tv. it happens regardless of which input or type of video cable you use. you've changed *both* dvd players and video cables.

man, color me stumped. what's odd is that it only happens when watching dvds, but you've changed players, inputs and cables.

maybe the tv is hanging up when receiving some particular resolution or format? what's dvd anyway? 480i, 480p ... something like that?

uh...guys....??? :b

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephan J.

Stephan J.

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 08:46 AM

The dvd player is interlaced, I am using the tv for the conversion to progressive. It is strange but very apparent when watching movies. Especially 2.35:1. It looks like there is some sort of interference but I cannot find anything that could be causing it. What is the overscanning problem mentioned earlier.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephan J.

Stephan J.

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 08:46 AM

The dvd player is interlaced, I am using the tv for the conversion to progressive. It is strange but very apparent when watching movies. Especially 2.35:1. It looks like there is some sort of interference but I cannot find anything that could be causing it. What is the overscanning problem mentioned earlier.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 08:12 AM

Can you find an adjustment named "width" or "hsize" or labeled with a horizontal two headed arrow, in an on-screen menu? (If you can get into service mode you might look for this in a service menu) Increasing this adjustment introduces or adds to overscan.

Most likely your computer monitor has such an adjjustment for this so you can try it out and get an idea of what will happen.