What's new

2001 SE in the works!!! (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Here's the relevant paragraph from the Bits:

Great news, it's high time this film gets the DVD treatment it so richly deserves. The anamorphic video on the current Warners disc is pretty good for the most part, but suffers from some really bad EE. The Dawn of Man sequence and some interiors (space station and the meeting at Clavius) are particularly bad. New authoring is definitely in order here.

I hope we get some worthy extras as that is what is sorely lacking on the current bare-bones release. I'm not real sure what is actually available for any supplemental material, but obviously just about anything will be better than what we have now. Perhaps some of you folks know what could possibly be used for such material?

Paging Jack Briggs! :D

This is one Warners 2-disc set I am really looking forward to and I hope we get at least a tentative release date soon. With this and the Strangelove SE coming would it be too much to hope for new SE's of ALL the Kubrick films Warners owns?!

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
I'll believe it when I see it, Heinz. This is GREAT news about 2001, but I've double-dipped on this title and The Shining already--any new Kubrick SEs better have some substantive documentary material, or I'm not buying again.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I just read that news as well. Can't wait to upgrade from those lame Kubrick collection discs. Two of my favorite movies on all time getting the 2-disc SE treatment!

Hopefully these DVDs will sell really well so Warners/whoever is responsible will be motivated to put out SEs of Kubrick's other films!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If only they'd throw in a D-Theater version... ;) Still, I'll buy the SE if it does indeed come out.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wonderful. I was just about to buy a used Kubrick 9-disc set to go along with Warner's 10-disc Hitchcock set.

This may have to do with the Kubrick Estate finally releasing all the archival material pertaining to his films. God knows how much stuff they have on 2001 and Dr. Strangelove...

I bet a newly remastered (not retransfered) DVD of 2001 would be beautiful. For example, Warner was able to take away most of the EE from My Fair Lady when they re-compressed it for the 2-disc SE.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great! I'll probably end up double-dipping if there is a substantial amount of extras, and they really improved the video and audio quality.

:emoji_thumbsup: to WB for finally giving this true cinematic classic the treatment it deserves!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Cool. Sounds great if it happens. They should get Clarke to participate in case anything unfortunate should happen.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Oh, absolutely. I'd love to hear a commentary from him, but I'll settle for a combination of old and new docu footage (it was pretty neat to see the featurette on the Criterion LD back in college).

Was there some big news item when the Kubrick Estate opened up the archives, so to speak?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd be pleased if there was some filmed documentary material which reflected the information in THE MAKING OF 2001 paperback book of 35 years ago. Behind-the-scenes shots of how the film was made would be incredible!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well considering the '2001' dvd releases so far have been somewhat lacking in extras, I would say The Greatest Science Fiction Film Ever Made deserves a little more respect in that department. I hope it's true and not just a rumour. I mean we've been waiting for a 'Blade Runner' special edition for like an eternity.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Great news! I was jost posting a couple of days ago in another forum saying that a special edition of 2001 was probably a longshot considering there's already been four US DVD releases of the film already. I LOVE to be proven wrong! I hope this thing comes to fruition!

BTW, for any L.A. fans out there, 2001 is showing at the Arclight on Wednesday night (August 18th) as part of their AFI 100 series. DVD's are great, but 2001 on the big screen is always hard to pass up.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Grumble...

Still like my Creative Design Arts deluxe edition with soundtrack CD...

Grumble...

Just don't say they're doing an SE of Clockwork Orange, I just got that for free the other day at Best Buy when I bought the LE of Final Countdown!

CDE,

CS

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well congratulate me. I at long last, I fell victim to the "Finally broke down and just bought the current edition and now a SE is on the horizion" curse. However, as luck would have it, I have not unwrapped my copy yet.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Will, you've done us all a great service.

You know what would go great with a 2-disc 2001? A 2-disc 2010 :) (an *anamorphic* 2010, to boot!)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I'd love a set of both films, but I think Jack Briggs and Rain might go into a homicidal rage if it came to pass ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
2010 is a good movie, but it's like pairing Psycho II with the original. It's not that the sequel is bad, it's that it's not as good as the original. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks