What's new

Should I use Firefox as my browser? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
What does the community here think about FireFox?

Is it a good replacement for Explorer? Is it safer?

Are there any problems/issues with respect to the XP operating system?

Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It's better than IE in just about every way. It's only a 4mb download - try it, but do get some of the Extensions installed which give extra functionality.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Try it or Mozilla. I use Mozilla. The pop-up blocking is very nice (IE has this in SP2) and the tabbed browsing is wonderful (not available in IE AFAIK). I've been running Mozilla on XP Pro for about a year now with no problems at all.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
After the family computers upstairs kept getting an obscene amount of spyware OVER and OVER I finally installed and made Firefox as the primary browser. Now spyware is pretty much a thing of the past.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Lee,

Firefox is a great browser that I've used for quite some time. It's fast, easy to work with and now my default browser.

Firefox allows you to customize it and create lots of different looks and also utilize diverse functions when you add/download the extensions as they are called. One of the extensions that I love is the ability to enlarge images by right clicking on it and making the image larger. If you shop on Ebay, it's a great tool.

There are a few web sites that are not friendly to Firefox, but you can download one of the extensions that will allow you to right click and load the url in Explorer.

Besides tabbed browsing and a few other items, it's the browser of choice on my PC's. All in all, it's a great product and I would recommend it at least on a trial basis.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Do you tend to surf with multiple windows open? If so, then yes, no question about it, Firefox is for you.

If you only have one page open at a time, then you won't be as impressed but you'll still get a bunch of advantages that will make you wonder why you ever used IE.

Personally I reccomend Firefox .8. You have to hunt on the website to find it since they're up to .9 now. My favorite extension, ImageZoom, isn't available for .9 yet...

I love being able to customize Firefox by adding only the features I need. I added ImageZoom, the StatusBarClock (which tells me not only what TIME it is, but what DAY OF THE WEEK it is, which frankly I need reminding of), and the powerful TabBrowserExtensions since I happen to always surf with many, many webpages open at once and could use the added power.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

No problems or issues with the XP operating system, however you will discoverthat Norton's Password Manager only works with IE. That's the one and only "aw darn!" factor I've encountered. And I had to add a free extension in order to make it possible to download items using my favorite download manager program (which frankly you won't need anymore since Firefox has a good one built in... but I was sentimental).

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I like the tabbed browsing in FireFox, but not every page loads OK with it.

A few people on my site were discussing this and suggested Avant which is supposed to be an "upgrade" to IE. Haven't tried it myself though.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yes.

Although, I do have one big issue: I can't log into my Slashdot account! I can't figure it out...maybe it's a security setting somewhere in Firefox...

When I try to sign into Slashdot with my account, nothing happens! I fill in the name and password, and press submit. The button gets pressed, but absolutely nothing happens - it's not sending the form information over. :confused:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I just installed Firefox today to try it out. The extensions really help.

I was able to log into my slashdot account. I tried it for the first time just now because I read your post. Check your cookie and password manager settings. That might have something to do with it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
FireFox accomplishes almost everything I want; I switched over for about 90% of my browsing recently; it's good stuff :)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Will B,
Is this the extension that you are talking about? If so, it is now available on 0.9

Lee,
If you're new to the Firefox world, I'd recommend installing the latest version of Firefox (0.9.3) for the simple fact that it's the most secure.
I have a fairly informative post here on HTF (at least I think so) that explains all about the Firefox. I'd definitely give it a try. And as someone else mentioned, a great lil extension is IEview, which makes it easy to open that seldom site in IE if you are having any problems with it in Firefox.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Firefox has been my default browser on my home and office computers for a few months now. Once you go tabbed browsing and Adblock, you never go back. :D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
after failed attempts to get away from IE many times (opera, netscape), firefox finally did it. great browser, and much less spyware.

CJ

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Firefox is working great, and all the websites I've built seem to need no modifications to look correct or work properly, fortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks