-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Showgirls: Camp Classic or Complete Crap?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,426 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 13 2004 - 03:25 AM

Well, what's the answer? And back it up! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#2 of 30 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 03:37 AM

crap IMO. Some of the worst acting I have ever seen come from an actress.

Not even this movie could have been saved by the bell.

The movie as a whole was a good idea, but the story direction and some of the plotlines were just very un-appealing.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#3 of 30 Benson R

Benson R

Supporting Actor

• 741 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 03:45 AM

In response to thread title: Can't it be both?

I guess if I had to go one way I'll say camp classic, and too back it up, on with the quotes.

I love Doggie Chow!

First I get you used to the money, then I make you swallow.

It must be weird not having anybody cum on you.

And my all time favorite:

I'm erect, why aren't you erect?
XBL Gamertag: PVT Hicks

#4 of 30 Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 03:57 AM

I'll have to vote for both, it's a symbiotic relationship. Part of why it is camp is because it is crap. They compliment each other nicely, like almost all camp classics.

I dearly love the Evil Dead movies, but let's face it: as straight up movies, they are crap. But for camp, solid gold.

#5 of 30 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:53 AM

Total crap. On a trip to Vegas, I went on a backstage tour of the Tropicana's "Folies Bergères" show, and the showgirls HATED that movie, calling it a total opposite of what actually happens in real life! While watching the show itself, I could catch a glimpse of the performers on the side giving each other high-fives when the show was going very well.

BTW, weight checks ARE done on all the performers, but not for the reasons depicted in most movies. They do it mainly for health reasons. With everything they do on stage, a variation of 10 lbs could indicate a potential health problem.

Funny anecdote. Between shows, the showgirls sometimes do some quick lunch-break shopping at Wal-Mart in their stage costumes! Posted Image

#6 of 30 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:04 AM

Complete crap.

Of course the problem is backing this statment up. How best to do that? Would it be the incredibly bad acting (interestingly they worst actor was chosen for the lead role), the mind numbingly dumb script or the dialogue that is so bad that others in this thread quote it in support of the ‘camp’ argument?

Even liberal doses of nudity can’t rescue this movie. For that alone, the movie has to consigned to the ‘crap’ category.
¡Time is not my master!

#7 of 30 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:21 AM

The "camp classic" label is sometimes used to weasel out of the fact that something is crap. Showgirls falls in this category.

#8 of 30 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:24 AM

This film has screened many times over the last few years here in Seattle with live commentary by local film critic David Schmader. Would this be worth doing if the film wasn't a classic on some level? Posted Image

#9 of 30 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
a classic on some level?
So it's classicly bad. Posted Image

#10 of 30 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,426 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:49 AM

I think the David Schmader commentary is included on the new DVD!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 30 Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 06:33 AM

Eye of the beholder, Lew "I enjoy Ali G Inda House" Crippen. Posted Image

Camp classic says I and even more perhaps? A film that questions whether women are willing participants in their sexual exploitation (and thus is it truly exploitation?) or is the sex industry grossly predatory and nihilistic by presenting an illusory pot of gold to women who have little or no other options, then discarding them when they can no longer perform? Who's zooming who?
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#12 of 30 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 08:31 AM

It's camptastic.
My Collection

#13 of 30 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Lew "I enjoy Ali G Inda House" Crippen.
Posted Image

But hey, I stand by my last paragraph. The definitive criticism.
¡Time is not my master!

#14 of 30 Eric.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 01:59 PM

It's a fantastic movie!!It may have the baddest acting ever and a terrible script but it dosen't stop it from being one of the most re watchable movies ever.It never fails to cheer me up and bring a smile to my face.I put it in the same category as say series one of Starsky and Hutch a tv series that is total cr@p by todays standards but can still bring a smile to your face and give you total enjoyment watching it.

#15 of 30 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,222 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:39 PM

Quote:
It may have the baddest acting ever

I know that Showgirls is crap, but there's no way its acting is the worst ever. I just watched Purple Rain, and it contains worse performances. I just watched Freaks, and it contains worse performances. Crappier acting IS out there!
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#16 of 30 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:46 PM

Oh, I think it is high camp. Course, camp has a certain amount of badness involved, but not so much that it makes you run and scream for the hills. Showgirls is not THAT awful.

Also, mucho nudity helps its rewatch value. Posted Image Posted Image

Jason

#17 of 30 Scott Temple

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 07:26 AM

Today marks the film's 10th Anniversary. It was released to US theaters on Friday, September 22nd, 1995.

Happy 10th, Showgirls !
Posted ImagePosted Image
Lacey Chabert is so fetch!
My DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc library

#18 of 30 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,487 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 22 2005 - 09:50 AM

Eminently quotable in the rudest way, over-acting, excessive nudity and sex, a naked chick in stilletto's kicking ass.

Camp classic.

#19 of 30 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 12:31 AM

I can't think of any quotes from the movie, but definitely camp classic. It also had to have one of the best advertising campaigns ever.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#20 of 30 Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 01:24 AM

Can never get enough of these quotes

http://www.imdb.com/...t0114436/quotes

Andy

Forum Nav Content I Follow