Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official ALIEN VS. PREDATOR Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
204 replies to this topic

#1 of 205 Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 06:17 AM

Spoiler-filled review/synopsis from a supposed screening yesterday. Take with a grain of salt, obviously, but if true it sounds really lame.

http://iesb.net/movies/movie81004d.htm

#2 of 205 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 06:42 AM

JEEZ! If that is even close to what the movie is like, I've flip flopped again and definately won't be seeing it!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#3 of 205 BennyD

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 09:43 AM

If a human and a predator become buddies anytime during this movie,
I will have absolutely no respect for Anderson.

If that review is legit, the only hope for the franchise is that they get a capable director to film the inevitable sequal.
Which condering the premise of an Alien loose on a predator ship could be highly entertaining, in the right hands.

#4 of 205 Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 11:13 AM

If a human and a predator become buddies anytime during this movie,
I will have absolutely no respect for Anderson.

I seem to remember the first Alin Vs. Predator comic ended
with a Predator and a human woman joining forces to defeat a queen.
Sounds more like they're staying true to the source comic.

Well, from what I culled from the x2 showings of the ad on TV, to me it appears that at the end we see the aliens, en masse, attacking predators at the top of a pyramid and they let loose with a nuke. Is this similar to the aliens overtaking the homeworld premise I've been reading about here (haven't read any of the comics)? Maybe it's a flashback sequence, or something, unless the Antartica thing is raised above the ice at the end.

One premise of this film is that predators have been visiting earth for centuries and failed alien hunts, like the one in the trailer, are the reason several ancient civilizations seem to have vanished overnight.
The trailer scene in question is a flashback.

#5 of 205 Ben_@

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 06:32 PM

Quote:
I actually think just "VERSUS" would have been a good title.

Actually Jason, there's already a movie called Versus. Its from Japan and it is very cool.

I'm still psyched about it, as I have been for a long time now (a year or so). When i first told people about it they all seemed luke-warm to the plot of the film. but now they see the trailers on TV and just go "oh wow." Hopefully the trailers won't be the only good thing from this series.

BTW, any thought that the PG-13 is a bit of a setup to the "R" or unrated cut that will make its way to DVD?

#6 of 205 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 12:19 AM

Quote:
BTW, any thought that the PG-13 is a bit of a setup to the "R" or unrated cut that will make its way to DVD?

Of course. I sure studios probably figure with certain releases to cut the movie so it gets a less restrictive rating for theaters. Then they can sell even more DVDs later on with the "R-Rated Version. Contains [insert adjective] extra footage not seen in theaters." banner.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#7 of 205 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 04:50 PM

Well, the verdict is in, so to speak. Theaters supposedly got their prints as early as yesterday (which would confirm that Fox was trying to pull one over on critics by not screening it until tonight) and tons of reactions to the film are popping up all over the internet, from Aint It Cool News, to IMDB message boards and to the various AvP fan communities. The response seems to be OVERWHELMINGLY negative. Most of us saw this coming the moment Paul WS Anderson was attached, and at this point, it would appear that he has done nothing to prove us all wrong. Here's a quote from a review:

Quote:
...and the result is a loony effects-laden catastrophe that’s bound to destroy any affection audiences might have retained for the original movies. In this contest it’s boredom and stupidity that are victorious.

read the whole review here: http://www.oneguysop...iew.asp?ID=1366
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 205 Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 05:12 PM

This one doesn't sound too bad A vs P

And then this one rips it apart Filmjerk
"When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the Master."

#9 of 205 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 08:45 PM

As much as I hate to add fuel to Bill's fireball of Anderson flameage.... Posted Image

Here's my review.

#10 of 205 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,164 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 12 2004 - 09:16 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Alien vs. Predator" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Alien vs. Predator" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#11 of 205 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 01:35 AM

This morning a local critic that does TV/radio/newspaper was talking about how he would have had to screen this last night in order to have a review today, so he just skipped it.

Fox obviously has little confidence in this film, they didn't even ship the prints until the last minute, making it very difficult for critics to get reviews in todays newspapers.

Too bad they didn't have this lack of confidence before hiring Paul W. S. Anderson.

Keep the reviews coming, they are even more valuable than usual given the lack of newspaper reviews.

#12 of 205 Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 01:51 AM

Ouch! Posted Image Well, now at least I know to go in with EXTREMELY low expectations, then I just might enjoy it.

#13 of 205 MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:00 AM

I'm so happy AVP will do the impossible and out-stank Catwoman!
[c][/c]

#14 of 205 DavidBL

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
"Alien vs. Predator" is a cool-looking lunchbox that's full of rocks.
Posted Image (from Scott Weinberg's review link above)

Scott, do you get to tell rottentomatoes.com what to use as your "one liner," or do they just pick it? I couldn't think of a better choice BTW.

Teetering as to whether I'll see this or wait for a DVD rental... or hope it's on an airplane on one of my trans-Pacific flights... or wait for TV... or not...

#15 of 205 Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
wiping out entire species with the flick of an intergalactic Deus Ex Machina bomb. They're like U.S. Presidents!

Man, can't even get a movie review these days without US bashing. Guess there is no need to read further.

#16 of 205 Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:37 AM

MIRC here I come.

I kid, I kid.
In the end only the fittest survive in this world. If you are strong you live...and if you are weak you die. I am the one who deserves to live. - Shishio Makoto

What's really gonna make your noodle limp is when you realize that Thomas Anderson is an anagram for "No Modern Asshat".
Deep... -...

#17 of 205 Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:46 AM

WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN are studios going to give films like this to people that actually KNOW how to make a good one?

I've been waiting, what, 10 years for this and it STINKS? BADLY?

It really solidifies what I've been saying lately - recent movies just suck. There was a time in my life when you could "sink your teeth" into a movie. Now it's all crap. Those days in the 80's and early 90's when almost every week during the summer you went to see a gem. Bleh. And the studios wonder why ticket sales drop. I'm so disappointed I can't even tell ya.

Mike

#18 of 205 Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:55 AM

If all his movies suck. Why does Paul W. S. Anderson keep getting more chances? Is Hollywood that clueless? The movie fans know this guy can't direct.

#19 of 205 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:21 AM

If all his movies suck. Why does Paul W. S. Anderson keep getting more chances?

They make money. Plus, I don't think they suck. Posted Image

One thing though about AVP, isn't this a rather lopsided pairing?

I mean, the Alien movies, especially the first two, were big hits, and have become absolute mainstream movie classics.

The Predator movies on the other hand... well the first one is normally referred to as being good "for being an Arnold movie" and the second one is normally trashed by everyone, even fans of the first one (I happen to like the second one though). It seems that the general public couldn't care less about a Predator movie, while new Aliens movie would have been a much safer bet.

/Mike
/Mike

#20 of 205 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:56 AM

Scott, do you get to tell rottentomatoes.com what to use as your "one liner," or do they just pick it? I couldn't think of a better choice BTW.

I pick the quote. And thanks!

Man, can't even get a movie review these days without US bashing. Guess there is no need to read further.

Funny how you can't make a joke about the president without being referred to as a "U.S. basher". Lighten up.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow