What's new

Da Ali G Show - Anyone watch this one? (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I haven't really seen this one discussed around here. I like the interviews done with political figures, Pat Buchanan and BLT's for example. The stuff he does as Borat is pretty amusing as well.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Booyakasha...was wondering when someone would post this.

This show is crazy...and some of the funniest stuff on TV right now. One of the few shows when it would be impossible not to laugh out loud at the insanity being portayed by a very creative comic. A must see for anyone bored with the current reality show redux and the empty lull between new Curb and Soprano episodes.

Wesside

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
It's the perfect topper of an evening of rerun 'The Wire' [missed it the first time around], SFU, and Entourage.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Maybe I should have titled this "What's your favorite line from Da Ali G show?"

"My sister was voted best $ex in mouth"

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

So my country can be free.

At first I could not believe what I was hearing. But when he got the whole crowd singing along, my wife and I were just cracking up.

Too many of these in a row and they get to be too much the same. But I was definitely ready for the return.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
"So if I were to admire a man's penis in the shower that would be ok, but if I put it in my mouth I would have crossed some sort of line?"

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
"what if the Jew use his claws?"

The Borat character has the be the worst/funniest part of that show. His casual anti-semitism that other people just seem to let by is both frightening and hilarious.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Gregg, thanks very much for the link. That was an illuminating and entertaining several minutes. I'll be watching this program more often. Cheers.

DS.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
So glad to see other people appreciate how subversive and talented Cohen is. This is one of the those shows that needs a lot more than a casual glance. Superficially, it looks annoying...a full episode or two is what you need to get into it.

Borat is easily my favorite character. It's amazing how much detail the show invests into him - everything from the pseudo-grainy film stock to Cohen (from the photographs I've seen) actually yellowing his teeth!

His anti-semitism is, of course, merely a prop, as Cohen himself is Jewish. The councilman who declared that Jews "Are gong to Hell" is up in arms about being duped into an interview and "looking bad." He doesn't seem to realize that his own words are the source of the problem.

http://www.boratonline.co.uk/ is a great resource for fans of Borat: the webmaster has tracked down a number of people who were interviewed to get their insight, and, again, it's amazing how committed Sacha is to his persona. Some of the stuff actually sounds funnier than what got aired.

From the martial arts expert on last week's show...

"He wanted me to show him some self defense, so I asked him to grab my arm and I would teach him a basic escape technique. He refused unless I would vulgarly insult his mother, which I wouldn't do. Then he wanted to wrestle in the nude as they do in his country (and began to drop his pants). That took me by surprise. I told him that if he wanted to wrestle in my country, he'd have to do it with his clothes on. He tried to insult my manlihood and began his routine about comparing testicle size, but I just wouldn't enter that conversation. He said he couldn't understand why I wouldn't wrestle nude and I replied that I didn't understand why he wouldn't let me show him self defense moves without insulting his family. He called it even on that one and we moved on."

And from the group that evaluated his acting method from season one...

"I think he was re-enacting a Jackie Chan movie. Also, there was a lot cut from that segment. I will tell you this--he sang a most awful rendition of the song 'Memory' from Cats."

The biggest problem with both Ali and Borat is that they are becoming more recognizable in the States, and I'm not sure if they can get away with anything else at this point. When Ali became popular in the UK, Sacha reverted to interviewing celebrities "in character" in front of an audience, and everyone was essentially "in" on the joke. I know the UK is getting a Best of Borat show shortly, and he'll be interacting with a studio audience. I need my region-free player back. :frowning:

Seth--L

Screenwriter

If that happens, all he needs to do is change Borat's name and appearance. But keep in mind, only a third of American homes pay for HBO, and far far far less watch Ali G.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hope not too many throw stones at me but I think he's annoying and a jerk, and I'm a huge fan of Jackass and the spin-offs. I just don't find his fake accents or different personas funny.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The Borat character has just started on Brit TV (though I believe there was a try-out of this character on a Brit show a couple of years ago).

Not meant to be a thread crap, but I personally group it with The Office as too painfully true to be funny.

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
this show is hilarious! I steered away from it all last season as the previews just looked like it would be to annoying. I just started watching it 2 weeks ago and regret having missed last season. i'll probably rent the dvd of the 1st season if blockbuster or hollywood vid get it.
fav parts so far:
- Borat singing in the country bar;
- Ali's security conversation with James Zeigler;
- the rap's he gets the politicians to do at the end of the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks