What's new

New Mary Poppins Aspect Ratio (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Why is the new dvd of Mary Poppins going to be in a 1.66:1 aspect ratio? I thought the film was made in 1.75:1????

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the filmakers filmed in 1.75:1, but that the Studio was pressured by the theaters to matting it to 1.85:1. 1.75:1 is probably the OAR if that's what's on the DVD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Because 1.66 is "Family Friendly Widescreen" and Disney is all about "family."

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
1.66:1 was a pretty standard aspect ratio for non-anamorphic films made in England where I believe MP was filmed (?).

Jo_C

Second Unit
Actually, 1.66:1 "VistaVision" is the aspect ratio Poppins was originally shot (and was represented on a deluxe LaserDisc some years back). The DVDs we've seen up to now have been cropped to 1.85:1, so the upcoming DVD will be the intended ratio.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
A Disney emplyee who seemed to know about such things said that all of disneys fifties films were soft matted to 1:75. the first Disney that was hard matted to 1:85 was Mary Poppins.
Yes, one of the disney laser versions (the best picture and sound so far for this film) was 1:66 - cuz it noticeably had the sides missing on that transfer . There was already at this time a Japanese laserdisc at 1:85 and all you had to do was compare it to the american laser to see how much was missing at the sides.
Again, surprisingly, we have another sound remix on the new disc. The last one was a disaster. It had been re-equed so bright, it gave me a headache.
Whats wrong with the original four track mix?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
If it was hard matted to 1.85:1, then you would lose info on the sides. Just check out The Color Purple vhs with the dvd.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Yes, I have that Archive Laserdisc at 1.66:1, and you can see more information on the top and bottom when compared with the DVD version.

It's especially nice in certain scenes, like when she flies in for the first time and lands on the walk of the house. On the DVD, the top of her umbrella is chopped off through much of it, whereas on the laserdisc you see more space above the umbrella which adds to the overall effect of that flying scene.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I had the Japanese LD, then the American AC-3 LD (Masterpiece Edition w/isolated mono score on the Analog/L track - passed over the Archive Edition) - both 1.85:1. Never bothered to pick up any of the DVD's to date.

I'm going to wait and see if Sherry Bobbins shows up for rental to compare it to my LD. If the DVD is not a significant improvement, it's time to make another DVD from my LD collection (albiet with a low video bitrate).

Jane Darwell as the bird woman is still my favorite bit. The orchestral bridge of 'Feed The Birds' is the most emotionally moving score I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"...then the American AC-3 LD (Masterpiece Edition w/isolated mono score on the Analog/L track - passed over the Archive Edition)"

When did that street? I can't believe I missed it, or never even heard of it until now, especially considering how much time I spent at Dave's Video in the 90's.

Oddly enough, Mary Poppins was one of the first titles I ever bought on DVD, along with The Black Hole...the reason I bought a DVD player was because there was no wide-screen LD release for Black Hole, and Dave's Video was killing me by playing the title in surround on their large-screen TV's.

Poppins: ME must have been so late in the game I never even noticed it in my change-over to DVD.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
According to the LaserDisc Database that would be 9871 AS, released in October 1997.

What do you mean, anyway? The first LD release of that picture, the techs transferred the scope film as if it were Academy Ratio... creating a 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen LD! :laugh: Not what you meant? There were a few like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks