Bleeping ridiculous words in movies on TV

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 of 97 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 01:41 AM

It's a frequent device, although I remember Larry Niven used it a lot in his "known space" books.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#42 of 97 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 02:35 AM

Yes, that's true. I seem to remember, however, that it was a Clifford Simak book that had it first. But I can be wrong and I don't recall the title anyway.

Cees

#43 of 97 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 12:45 PM

Fast Times at Ridgemont High has some pretty funny dialog substitutions for broadcast.

#44 of 97 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
You may not realize this living on the east coast, but unlike most netwroks, F/X does not has a West coast affiliate. it's showing the same thing at the same time in all markets. So if a show comes on at 10pm in the east, it's on at 7pm on the west coast.
Nope. F/X has a separate pacific time zone feed. If it's on a 10pm in New York, it's on at 10pm in LA too.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#45 of 97 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 07:48 AM

Is this a recent change? Parents Television Council specifically mentioned this in manyy of their complaints about The Shield.
My Collection

#46 of 97 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Same thing here. Just "Yippee ki ay!"

On TNT last week they actually added "Mr. Freeze" to the end of "Yippee Ki ay". Of course, this means nothing but took care of the M and F sounds at the beginning of each of the real words.

Has anyone watched movies on AMC with the closed captioning on. In Serpico they were beeping the audio for curse words, but the exact curse words that were bleep were appearing in the closed captioning.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#47 of 97 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
There's a seventies Sci-Fi novel (but I cannot remember now which one), where in the future the word "bleep" has become a swear word. So they say things like "You bleeping moron" and simply "Bleep!".

As a child reading about the Vietnam war that's what I thought the soldiers said! Because at least in some articles, the journalists had started to parrot the sound of "bleeeeep" that they heard on television!
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#48 of 97 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 10:06 AM

Quote:
Is this a recent change? Parents Television Council specifically mentioned this in manyy of their complaints about The Shield.
The Shield has always been on at 10pm on the West coast since the first season. Before that, I couldn't say.

Maybe some cable systems didn't switch over the Pacific feed as soon as others.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#49 of 97 James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
Oh man! I was watching "Not Another Teen Movie" last night on the NewVI (a Chum affiliate).
Anyway, this was, or appeared to be completely uncut.

It's the way Chum works(if they edit themselves). Sometimes they borrow FOX or another American network transmission, so it'll be the American edit.
If it's before 9pm, they'll bleep out everything, but once 9pm passes, they'll only bleep out "Mother" from motherfucker and extremely offensive language. I also noticed they don't really like rape or extreme drug use in films. But if you manage to catch the same movie during the midnight showing, you'll notice they make zero edits(well maybe a few for time).

Quote:
However, the most creative editing I ever heard was in Die Hard 2...

YIPIEE-KI-A-{MISTER FALCON}!!!

That's the funiest edit I've heard. It sounded like it was some spanish guy dubbing as well, which made it even more funny.
This was a FOX edit, btw.

#50 of 97 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 01:46 PM

Best censoring: Showgirls on VH1. They actually had computer-animated bras and bikinis drawn on all the topless girls (which was roughly 97% of the time). Made the movie even more hilarious.

#51 of 97 GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
Has anyone watched movies on AMC with the closed captioning on. In Serpico they were beeping the audio for curse words, but the exact curse words that were bleep were appearing in the closed captioning.

You only really see about 65 percent of the film in most TV versions of Serpico. Most of Tony Roberts' and John Randolph's scenes are hacked to bits or simply scanned over (also to a lesser degree in that underrated gem The Taking of Pelham One Two Three).

Favorite replaced dialogue: Linda Blair, right before she soils the floor in a CBS broadcast of The Exorcist--"What the baloney is going on here?"

"Film is not created in a vacuum. Rather, it results from a combination of forces and personalities, coupled with limitations of time, budget, and technology, which all converge in a way that is unique to a moment in time."--Robert Wise

#52 of 97 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 04:47 AM

I saw Speed on FOX recently.

Towards the end of the movie: "Pop quiz, ANIMAL..."

#53 of 97 Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 03:14 PM

I think my all time favorite is Rain Man. They change "fart" to "pass". "Did you pass Ray?"
I mean seriously...fart???Posted Image

#54 of 97 Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 02:36 AM

MTV likes to cut out alot of stuff now in the videos by just silencing the word (when they play them). I happened to pass by Akon's "Locked Up" video and the words Re-up, cash and stash, all drug references, were silenced. Its one thing to cut out curse words but MTV takes it too far. I think they censored Maroon 5's "This Love" too. They silenced the words "keep her coming every night". I think its hilarious that artists make clean or radio friendly versions of their songs and they are cleansed even more by the outlets that play them.

#55 of 97 KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 03:13 AM

I was recently in Australia and NZ. Any movie that is on after 8:30 is un-censored. I watched American Pie completely uncut starting at 8:30 and this is not pay TV. They also had all the HBO series on normal TV after 8:30. Even the commercials for the Sopranos were uncensored.

It doesn't seem to be affecting them at all, why shouldn't we adopt the same principle?

#56 of 97 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 05:48 AM

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be affecting them at all, why shouldn't we adopt the same principle?

Because we Americans are a little more uptight about that kind of stuff? Anything more and this will be the last of me you'll see on this forum.

#57 of 97 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 10:14 AM

???

What has the forum to do with it?

Cees

#58 of 97 Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit

• 323 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 10:35 AM

WT..? Anything more? Anything more of what? This discussion? Posted Image Please clue us in, as this forum exists PRECISELY so we can have meaningful discussions about this topic and others without people getting too "uptight", to use your words. Loosen up please Posted Image......the discussion is about how funny and/or ridiculous these 'edits' are, not about "perceived" moral standards.

#59 of 97 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 04:35 PM

I know that this about the funny edits and stuff, it's just that if I start talking about why we are subject to these ridiculous edits, I'll go off on a political rant and start going crazy.

I do find some of them funny. I haven't had the privlege of hearing the melonfarmers one yet, hopefully I will.

Posted Image

#60 of 97 Natalie F

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 05:26 PM

Quote:
I was recently in Australia and NZ. Any movie that is on after 8:30 is un-censored. I watched American Pie completely uncut starting at 8:30 and this is not pay TV. They also had all the HBO series on normal TV after 8:30. Even the commercials for the Sopranos were uncensored.

Hell, I've even heard people say 'shit' on the 6pm news here Posted Image Not quietly in the background either, actually to the interviewers.

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow