Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bleeping ridiculous words in movies on TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 of 97 OFFLINE   Bruce N

Bruce N

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:48 AM

In the Blues Brothers they bleeped "farkakte" when they're in the steam room with Mr. Sline (sp?) he says "You guys are still wearing the same farkakte suits."

And during Blazing Saddles they bleeped "Shtupp" as in Lily von Shtupp.

Posted Image

My wife and I both thought this was about the most ridiculous thing we'd seen lately.

Bruce
"Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?"

#2 of 97 OFFLINE   TonyTone

TonyTone

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 06:47 AM

On a related note (sorry for hijacking the thread)--has TNT and/or TBS relaxed their standards as far as broadcasting movies that have had profanity-laced dialog censored in some manner (either bleeped/muted/edited)? I ask because I coulda swore that when I was watching Under Siege 2 on TNT (or was it TBS--I know it was definitely one or the other), some profanity (e.g., words other than the F-word...like "sh*t") normally edited out...weren't. I know they weren't edited out because when I Tivo'd the dialog with caption turned on--sure enough, the actual vulgar words were indeed viewable. I know in the past, TNT/TBS televised theatrical releases with the profanity cleared edited out--did they recently undergo a moral change of heart?

#3 of 97 OFFLINE   derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 08:16 AM

The past year or so I've noticed increased profanity on some of the major cable stations (FX most of all losta GDs which is ridiculous.) Cable stations are pushing the boundaries admidst the competition for 'supposedly' higher ratings. The joke of it all is that the FCC only has control over broadcast not cable content. See http://www.loper.org...04/Feb/994.html for a good rundown.

#4 of 97 OFFLINE   Gabe D

Gabe D

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 08:20 AM

I've seen "Army of Darkness" on TV where they have repeatedly bleeped out the main character's name: Ash. Clearly somebody thought they were saying "ass." Posted Image

#5 of 97 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,831 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 08:26 AM

You can prettty much hear all the swear words on FX except for the F-bomb and the C-word. Just watch any episode of "Rescue Me" or "Nip/Tuck" if you don't believe me. Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 97 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:51 AM

Once, i was watching Predator 2 (starting at midnight) and things I know you say on TV, like "son of a bitch" kept getting bleeped. Then, they left in a F-bomb. Someone must have fallen asleep when they were supposed to be editing.
My Collection

#7 of 97 OFFLINE   Shem Kellogg

Shem Kellogg

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:59 AM

"do i make you horny?" was censored last night on TBS (i think) i the first a.p. flick...can't remember what the line became
thugged out since cub scouts

#8 of 97 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:09 PM

Quote:
In the Blues Brothers they bleeped "farkakte" when they're in the steam room with Mr. Sline (sp?) he says "You guys are still wearing the same farkakte suits."

Just a little i dotting and t crossing ...

Fercockta - Loose translation 'shitty' breaks down to 'fer' (with) - 'cockta' (shit).

Shtup - To F__K

Must have been bleeped for us yiddish savy New Yakers. I've even seen versions of Blazing Saddles with the campfire baked beans scene entirely cut out ! Posted Image
How the hell can you show Blazing Saddles without that scene ?

The one that most amazed me was a broadcast version of Lethal Weapon 1. The scene where Mel Gibson gets blown thru a plate glass window by a shotgun blast. Danny Glover comes to his aide, Mel then says something like 'I'm f__king pissed Rog, I'm gonna get those f__kers'. They changed that to be 'I'm miffed Rog, I'm gonna get those funsters'. Oy !

#9 of 97 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:30 PM

for austin powers, they just made him say "do I make you randy.... randy. do I make you randy baby yeah do i!?" instead of "do I make you horny, randy! do I make you horny baby do i!?"

#10 of 97 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:37 PM

'I'm f__king pissed Rog, I'm gonna get those f__kers'. They changed that to be 'I'm miffed Rog, I'm gonna get those funsters'.

I used to watch it on regular TV just for that part! It would leave me both in hysterics and amazement every time! What genius comes up with this stuff?
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#11 of 97 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
You can prettty much hear all the swear words on FX except for the F-bomb and the C-word. Just watch any episode of "Rescue Me" or "Nip/Tuck" if you don't believe me.

They both air after 10:00 @ night (when the kiddies should be in bed. :wink: )

#12 of 97 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:48 PM

Turner Classic Movies doesn't censor words late at night. I was watching Raging Bull and was shocked when ever f-word was left in!

#13 of 97 OFFLINE   John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 02:19 PM

Quote:
The one that most amazed me was a broadcast version of Lethal Weapon 1. The scene where Mel Gibson gets blown thru a plate glass window by a shotgun blast. Danny Glover comes to his aide, Mel then says something like 'I'm f__king pissed Rog, I'm gonna get those f__kers'. They changed that to be 'I'm miffed Rog, I'm gonna get those funsters'. Oy !
Best ever? The Big Lebowski.

When Sobchak takes the tire iron to the car be believes belongs to the boy he is interrogating, the original line was;

This is what happens when you fuck a man in the ass.

It was changed to

This is what happens when you find a man in the Alps.

#14 of 97 OFFLINE   Kevin O

Kevin O

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 03:43 PM

I seriously think that the people in charge of dubbing over these scenes have contests to see who can get away with using the most nonsensical words/phrases to replace profanity. It is funny to hear what they come up with though.

#15 of 97 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 06:03 PM

Turner Classic Movies doesn't censor words late at night. I was watching Raging Bull and was shocked when ever f-word was left in!

They don't always censor nudity late at night either. TCM had Animal House on a while back and the whole segment where Belushi is spying on the girls by ladder was uncut.

#16 of 97 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 08:04 AM

Turner Classic Movies shows only uncut movies, AFAIK. That and OAR are the reasons it's lightyears ahead of AMC, who only has the restoration projects to redeem its name.

Quote:
The past year or so I've noticed increased profanity on some of the major cable stations (FX most of all losta GDs which is ridiculous.) Cable stations are pushing the boundaries admidst the competition for 'supposedly' higher ratings. The joke of it all is that the FCC only has control over broadcast not cable content.

There haven't been any boundaries pushed. The guidelines as to what can be said at what time of the day hasn't changed. That's why all these shows are on at or after 10pm. In the case of critical and commercial successes such as "Nip/Tuck" and "Rescue Me," there are good ratings coming to the channels, and it's not just because people are titillated by bad words. It's because the shows are well-written and hire good actors. They're just talking like real people, in character for the professions they are representing.

Besides, to the FCC, cable has always been separate, as well it should be, since it's paid television, not publicly acessible.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#17 of 97 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 08:21 AM

You may not realize this living on the east coast, but unlike most netwroks, F/X does not has a West coast affiliate. it's showing the same thing at the same time in all markets. So if a show comes on at 10pm in the east, it's on at 7pm on the west coast.
My Collection

#18 of 97 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 08:26 AM

Dan: Interesting. I thought all left coast programming came on at the "same" time as the East Coast, i.e. 10pm their time, which would be 1am my time. At least, that's been my experience in journeys out west.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#19 of 97 OFFLINE   Erich_S

Erich_S

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 08:34 AM

I saw part of the edited-for-TV Blazing Saddles a couple nights ago ... the, um, sound effects in the campfire scene were replaced with horse sounds (whinnying and the like), but the dialog was kept the same. It was strange.

However, the most creative editing I ever heard was in Die Hard 2...

YIPIEE-KI-A-{MISTER FALCON}!!!

#20 of 97 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 09:05 PM

Jesse, that's the case with pretty much any channel except F/X.
My Collection

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow