Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Which of these used pre-pros for sonics only ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:11 AM

How would you rate these pre-pro's for sonics only ( dacs, ht processing, bypass transparacy )..60%ht / 40% two channel.

Krell Showcase 7.1
Ead 8000
Proceed avp-2
Krell hts ( better then showcase but 5.1 ?)
Meridian 568.1 (no bypass I know)
Integra RDC-7

And do you think these pre-pros from a pure sonics point of view beat the likes of Anthem, Parasound, Rotel

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Keith

Mike Keith

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 03:20 AM

I hear the Krell HTS is hard to beat, but the Parasound C2 is my choice.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 07:09 AM

i think the aragon soundstage is also a contender you should be looking at. it was much better than the ead encore it replaced.

kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken Smith

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 07:24 AM

It doesn't have SACD or DVD-Audio but I think the Lexicon MC-1 should also be considered. I've seen it on E-bay for 1k- 1.5k.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 07:53 AM

Quote:
Krell hts ( better then showcase but 5.1 ?)

Actually, I heard that the sonics on the HTS were pretty bad, since it was a first-run a/v preamp from Krell and they did not really know how to fully integrate their preamp sections with the digital processing section, or something to that effect. However, I have not heard the HTS, although I have heard the Showcase, and it does a pretty darn good job of straight audio.

The AVP2 does not have 5.1 bypass unless you have the unit with the +6 option, but I would think that the Proceed, the EAD and the Integra are probably the best of the units you mentioned, sonically, with each having their own strengths/tendencies. However, these units are all pretty expensive (more than $3k used, $4k new), and Proceed is no longer in existence.

I found to prefer the musicality of the Anthem AVM-20 over the Krell Showcase, with the Anthem being a little smoother in the midrange, as well as integrating the highs, mids and lows a little more to my liking. The Showcase was crystal clear, but sometimes came off as a little bright, and the seperation between the highs, mids and lows was more pronounced than on the Anthem. They go for around the same price now (give or take a couple hundred), so they both seem to aim for the same consumer price point.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 10:36 AM

i've heard and setup the krell HTS and showcase. they sound terrible IMO. they are VERY harsh and bright. everything sounds brittle and almost painful.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Yogi

Yogi

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 11:04 AM

Quote:
But there's a 10,000 challenge on that

Never really liked Krell. Hard and brittle sounding. Of all the prepros listed I only listened to Proceed and it sounded heavenly.
The truth is not out there but within you.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor

• 689 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 12:06 AM

JT, you have had a Soundstage in your setup right?

I thought you were happy with the Integra dtc-940 (?).
Charles

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave Milne

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 07:18 AM

There's always the Bryston SP-1.7. It has received accolades for its sonics. No video switching, excellent DACs, bypass mode is equivalent to the venerable BP-25 stereo preamp.

I was just about to buy one when someone offered me a too-good-to-pass-up deal on an MC-12.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 09:58 AM

I'd get a Lexicon MC-8 or a Bryston SP-1.7

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 05:52 AM

Quote:
JT, you have had a Soundstage in your setup right?
Quote:
thought you were happy with the Integra dtc-940 (?).

Waas up Charles,

The answer is yes and yes.

The soundstage was excellant and the Integra dtc-9.4 is almost impossible to beat for the money imo. Thats the problem, I dont think the Parasounds/rotels/anthems/b&k's are gonna be a noticeable improvement if at all.

I was thinking originally about getting a tube pre-amp for music..but thought maybe the EAD8000 OR equivilant could give me a boost in Movies and music (seeing's how it retailed for 6000.00 to begin with)..

I could keep the dtc-9.4 and add tube pre.
I could sell the dtc-9.4 and get the EAD or equiv. etc.
I could sell the dtc-9.4 and get something like a Denon 3805 or Lex mc-1 (for movies only) and take the extra cash and get a better tube-pre and maybe another source to replace the denon 2200)

Whats the consensus, I know two channel can always be improved by a good analog preamp..no doubt

But Im wondering how much of a differecne if HT was the ONLY thing the processor would be doing , between something really expensive like the ead and my dtc9.4 also between something newer with all the bells/whistles like the 3805 ( The eq should be nice for sonics)...Is the mc-1 outclassed in sonics by these newer cheaper recievers ?(newer dacs etc.)

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Ricky T

Ricky T

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 09:31 AM

Hhmm, comments about Aragon Soundstage, MC1, receivers....hopefully, someone with intials R.B. will chime in Posted Image

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:26 PM

Anthem is an absolute steal at its price point, especially at the current price for an AVM20 used, although your budget suggests you could be looking at at least a new AVM 30.

I upgraded from a Rotel 1066 to an AVM 20, and I would NOT put them both in the same league. The Rotel is good, but the AVM 20 is light years ahead (ok well maybe not light years, but a large difference sure).
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted August 14 2004 - 06:48 AM

I've got the Integra DTC 9.4 as well, which I use with an EAD Powermaster 1000. It blows away the Rotel and compares favorably with the Anthem (I think it sounds better, but is not upgradeable). The only unit I've heard that sounds better than the Integra is the EAD 8000. The Krell and Proceed I have not heard. The Meridian is supposed to be amazing, but have not heard that either.

John, why are you selling your PM 2000? That's about as good as solid state gets. An amazing piece of equipment.

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow