Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warning: ALF Season 1 cut!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
365 replies to this topic

#21 of 366 Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 07:02 AM

I was on the fence, but I just fell off.

#22 of 366 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:03 AM

Well this sucks but I'll still get it. I love Alf and finally having it on DVD is awesome cuts or no cuts. I saw ALF as a kid and loved it but it wasn't until 2000 when it came back on tv in Canada on the Family Channel that I finally got to see this show again and loved it. The synndication cuts were probably there as well and seeing those as the ones I saw it won't really make a diffrence. Shows shoulden't be cut and it sucks it happened to ALF and should be fixed in the future. I'll defintly write them a letter and see if they can get it right next time.

#23 of 366 CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:25 AM

They put out the Will & Grace episodes too.

Some of those were cut.

#24 of 366 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:59 AM

Would you buy a novel if you knew 10% of the pages were missing?

Me neither, that's why Edited TV shows on DVD won't cut it...

#25 of 366 Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 10:00 AM

Gord/Dave, someone.

Please explain this atrocity!

#26 of 366 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:15 PM

I assume they were given copies of the masters to work with, since they don't own the show. They probably had no idea what they were working with.

Unfortunately I'm rarely impressed with the sets from Lions Gate. The Dead Zone sets are great, and Boomtown was nice (except they should have released the 6 season 2 episodes in the set), but everything else is pretty lame. Cheap packaging, sloppy jobs on authoring and cut episodes. Their QC department either doesn't exist, or is busy doing something else.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#27 of 366 Kyle R

Kyle R

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up.. definitely wasn't a "must have", so some money saved to burn a hole in my pocket!

#28 of 366 BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:46 PM

Matt - the discs are overlapping each other. The hubs are on the inside of each side of the case (2 discs on each side).

They had about 9 copies on the shelf at Best Buy. I found one that didn't have loose discs. I stopped by a Target to pick something else up and checked the Alf sets there - they only had 3 on the shelf and one of them was good.

They need to seriously reconsider this package design in the future.

#29 of 366 Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm rarely impressed with the sets from Lions Gate. The Dead Zone sets are great, and Boomtown was nice (except they should have released the 6 season 2 episodes in the set), but everything else is pretty lame. Cheap packaging, sloppy jobs on authoring and cut episodes. Their QC department either doesn't exist, or is busy doing something else.

And I thought Columbia TriStar were dingbats! Lions Gate makes Columbia TriStar look like a group of professors.

Can we rise as one and slay them?

We need to bring lawyers into a case of questionable DVD practices! Posted Image Posted Image

#30 of 366 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,000 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:58 PM

With the money they made from the Fahrenheit 911 they can afford not to cut corners.

It amazes me to no end that a relatively small company like Shout! Factory can put out good work but larger companies like this and Columbia fall flat on their faces. Oh well, the bigger they are...

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#31 of 366 Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 02:57 PM

... the more harder they fall.

#32 of 366 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 03:06 PM

The acquisition of Artisan seems to have infected Lions Gate. I have an inquiry into the company about this screw-up asking how it happened and, if it was a mistake, if it will be corrected. I am not optimistic but will report what I learn.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#33 of 366 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 03:10 PM

I had some season 1 episodes on video and i didn't notice any cuts in those, also on the last disc is the unaired pilot which contains a few minutes not in the pilot that aired. the episodes seem to clock in anywhere between 21 to 22 minutes a piece (except for the pilot which is only 20 minutes) give or take a few seconds. i have only watched the first disc. If they are the syndicated versions it is pretty dissapointing, but has anyone found a list of what is actually missing how much longer could these episodes be timewise than what is on these discs allready ? just curious as i thought 22 minutes was the normal runtime for a half-hour show back then.

#34 of 366 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 03:31 PM

I can confirm that at least one episode is cut. A couple years ago, a Candian company called VSC released a disc called "The ALF Files" in Canada containing 3 hour-long episodes, including "Try to Remember," which is included in Lions Gate's season 1 set. I have that Canadian disc and since I opened the season set before seeing this thread (unfortunately) I checked the running time of that episode on both discs. I didn't watch the episodes so I can't tell you what's cut (I will try to watch them tomorrow). But I can tell you that the Canadian disc clocks in at 48:54 for that episode, a full 3:09 longer than LG's set, which was 45:45.

Plus, Aryn, the season one episodes of "Punky Brewster" on Shout! Factory's release of that are each over 25:00 in length. Those aired just 2 seasons prior to ALF season 1 (1984-85). I doubt sitcoms would have lost 3-4 minutes of show to commercials in just 2 seasons. That doesn't seem right to me.

#35 of 366 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 03:43 PM

Scott: sounds like that one is definately cut then. perhaps most of them are i dunno i was just going by runtime, but you bring up a good point about punky brewster. Hour shows in the early 80's ran for about 48 to 50 minutes so that makes sense about the 25 for half-hour show. Alf ran from 1986 to 1990 so the later seasons definately would be shorter times as the hour shows got cut back to about 45/46 minutes around then so id presume 1/2 hour shows did aswell but i'm not positive. Anyhow thanks for your info it was helpful.

Edit: I am realizing alot of these episodes on the set are also not in the correct order either.

#36 of 366 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
The acquisition of Artisan seems to have infected Lions Gate. I have an inquiry into the company about this screw-up asking how it happened and, if it was a mistake, if it will be corrected. I am not optimistic but will report what I learn.

Thanks for checking into this, Randy. Look forward to hearing what you find, even if I don't expect quick correction and free replacements.

#37 of 366 Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 07:20 PM

Geez. Guess I'll just wait until the full episodes come out. I won't hold my breath though.

#38 of 366 Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 08:17 PM

Too late for me also opened the packaging in the car to make sure no Floaters.

I always tell myself wait a week before buying a new release TV set. Yet this time I didn't because I loved the show that much.

Fool me once shame on You. Fool me twice shame on Me.

#39 of 366 JanM

JanM

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Chris! Seems like I won't buy this one, no subtitles and cut scenes, just have to wait for the Seinfeld release then in November!

Jan

#40 of 366 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,271 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 11:59 PM

Deep Discount has issued me a Mailing Label and RA number to return the set for Credit even thou it's opened. Bravo DDD and shame on Lion's Gate.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

Forum Nav Content I Follow