Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

24 Season 3

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

• 2,267 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted August 09 2004 - 02:27 PM

A word of caution to any buyers who haven't seen this yet like me!

Like the Season 2 box, the Season 3 one is full of spoilers from the booklet to the menus. So far I've managed to avoid them by using the Play All function on each disc and not reading any of the box. I would also advise not looking at any extras until you finish the series.

Picture and sound are on a par with Season 2. And its just as addictive as the previous seasons so far.... Posted Image

Now just one more episode.....

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 10:42 PM

I got mine yesterday, I opened it with my eyes shut and placed them all in blank cases. I kept my eyes shut and the sound mute until the menu stops then I "play all". Haven't seen anything spoiler wise yet. Thank God for play all.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

• 5,319 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:03 AM

I did'nt even know this was released yet. Very little in the way of Advertisement on this set. I bought the first two seasons but I'm passing on the third. It was an OK season nothing more. I definately got better after they would up the awful beggining with the ..... But it seemed alot of it dragged on forever before it got rolling. Maybe if I can pick it up for around $20 later I will just to be a completist.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

• 1,376 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:16 AM

Currently it's only out Region 2. Chris

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

• 2,267 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted August 10 2004 - 01:34 AM

So far Im only up to episode 9 and I have to say it is much better than Season 2, which I liked BTW. They seem to have planned this out much better as well. And Kim's role in this series so far has been much better handled. I had a look at the episode descriptions in the booklet for the first 8 episodes after I watched them, and |I can't emphasise enough how much they would spoil the show. I dont understand why Fox does this, especially given the nature of the show.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 02:15 AM

It doesn't come out in the US until sometime in December, I believe, as a prelude to the 4th season, which begins broadcasting in January 2005.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   RyanAn

• 1,523 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 03:10 PM

I almost slapped myself thinking it was released in America and I seemed to miss it. I really do not like it that they spoiled via the cover. How so? Ryan

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

• 2,267 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted August 11 2004 - 01:27 AM

Well I think the cover artwork is different from the R2 anyway but the R2 box includes pictures of various scenes from the series, including some returning characters, and the menu screen for each episode all have a shot from the episode which is usually spoiling what is going to happen.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

• 1,130 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 11:32 AM

The official region 2 set boxes look so much like bootlegs for some reason. Anyways, I will be purchasing the set from AmazonUK. I dont really want to wait until Dec. for the US release. I could be dead by then. Thanks for the heads up of the release.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   James Lambert

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 12:54 AM

Regarding the spoilers in the booklet, although I don't own this set, I can't really see how they can be avoided. Surely the point of the booklet is a list of all the episodes with a brief synopsis of each. With most weekly serials this is fine as they are episodic in nature. They have a set up that gets resolved at the end, so that it can all start again next week (Simpsons often make jokes at this convention). 24 just doesn't work this way though, as there is no conclusion at the end of the episode, rather a cliff hanger to set up the next episode. As such the booklet helps someone who's viewed the show before find a particular episode. New viewers should just pretend it isn't there. I've done this on all of Buffy, Angel, alias and season 1 of 24. Spoilers on the menus though, that's just stupid!
Knowing my luck, if there is such a thing as re-incarnation, I'd come back as me!

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 01:06 AM

I received my Region 2 set yesterday. The transfers look quite good and my LG 7832 is doing the pal to ntsc conversion. I must warn you that the voices are slightly sped up. This doesn't affect male voices as much as the females. Michelle sounds like Minnie Mouse most of the time. If anyone has any further questions then please feel free to ask. I can post pics of the box if anyone wants too.
If this is your first night, you have to fight

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

• 2,267 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted August 12 2004 - 07:38 AM

also advise not listening to any of the commentaries for the episodes until after you have seen the whole series. Some of the comments do spoil future episodes.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 08:55 AM

I watched the first episode of the 3rd season today and I think it's the best season opener so far. Although it was quite slow, I liked the darker tone the series and especially Jack had gotten. Looks intriguing, let's hope it stays that way.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

• 2,267 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted August 13 2004 - 05:31 AM

Well I've now finished the box set. After a fantastic start, the middle part of the series (8pm - 4am) felt like they were running out of ideas. What was the point of the baby story ??? In fact, one of the things I was most looking forward to was
the return of Nina Myers
. You just knew it was coming, but in the end it was a bit of a letdown and I was glad they decided that this arc had run its course. Things really started to pick up around 4am and it never let up until the end of the season. I was particularly impressed with how they handled
Chappelle's death
and that particular hour was really great. Unfortunately the main menu for this disc does spoil this somewhat as it shows
Chappelle with a gun to his head
. Ok it out of context but once you get to the episode, you know whats coming to a certain extent. What struck me most though was how the series itself was very conscious of trying to turn viewer's expectations on their heads, especially with Kim's role in the latter half of the series.
It also felt like they knew a lot of characters had run their course and a fresh start next season would be a better option. I'm glad they were a little more creative with getting rid of some character's without just killing them off.
. Still not as good as Season 1, but on a par with Season 2. Next season should certainly be different....

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   TomWoodward

Second Unit

• 358 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 09:21 AM

We've just posted the artwork for the region one set here
Tom Woodward

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted August 14 2004 - 03:03 AM

I actually liked her being back in the show, even if how they got her back was a bit contrived. You have to love how they let her leave the show, though. One of the best moments in the show's history was how that storyline finished.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 14 2004 - 05:59 AM

Overall I really like the style of the artwork but Kiefer is all but unrecognizable in that pic.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 14 2004 - 04:40 PM

Its funny, but that picture is the exact one I theorized to myself that they would use for the box art, but I wish they used a different color scheme this season, like a brownish or gold tint to it all.

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 15 2004 - 12:34 PM

He looks like John Cusack with a mad eyebrow problem!
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Ben LG

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted August 15 2004 - 12:41 PM

Damn I got caught too, I thought it was the R1 release Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users