What's new

Stooges released colorized (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Interesting that George Lucas was anti-coloration and restoration. I mean, I don't mind the special editions, but I think he loses a little credibility in a case like this.

I'm generally against colorization because it's usually horrid, but that one image looked decent. Granted it's one image, but I might check it out, just to see how it looks. But I'm not interested in seeing too much stuff colorized, though. As long as there is always a choice, though.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Studio execs are so out of touch.

This is a way to raise consumer interest??

Have any of you ever heard anyone praise this method before?

So ridiculous... Why not just superimpose Jim Carrey's head over Curly to make these films more palatable to a younger audience?

It will be the next pop cultural revolution, an entire MTV generation of 14 year olds hooked on golden age cinema thanks to the colorization of Columbia's classic film library!

:rolleyes

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Well Lucas is the creator of the SW films, whereas the colorization done to the 3 Stooges films is not done by the original creators.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Every colorized film I have ever seen always looks wrong. The color palatte seems wrong.

Scenes that takes place outside is never done correctly. Sometimes in outdoor shots there are things that aren't even colorized, such as people in the background or other things. Also things visible through the back window of a car isn't colorized either.

The only thing they manage to colorize 100% of is in door scenes, but even then the colors seems wrong to me.

Even after all of these years and with the advancement in computer technology they probably still haven't got it done right.

Until they get the colorization process to look 100% natural and look as if it was originally filmed in color I'll steer clear of colorized films.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

..you know I don't think whether it is in color or B&W has as strong an affect on a younger person's willingness to watch or not, merely the fact that it is "OLD" will have a stronger affect than anything else IMO...look at Blair Witch, that was B&W for over half of the film and they watched that...either they are open-minded and will watch it or they will not no matter what hue it is.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
That picture looks just as crappy as the older colorized films. Columbia needs a swift kick in the film can.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I just don't understand why Sony determined that we needed to switch between color and B&W on the fly. Doesn't that lower the bandwidth available to both video streams?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big Stooges fan but frankly I have stopped buying the last few compilation discs because they're too expensive and I don't like the "themes" Columbia has been putting them through. I'm waiting for the studio to give us straight complete box collections of "Curly", "Shemp" and even Joe Besser.

And now with the abomination of these colorized editions, you can REALLY forget about getting my cash, Columbia.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Colorization of the Stooges is a heartless, ridiculous and pointless endeavor, IMHO. It doesn't even make economic sense. How many people browsing the aisles of Best Buy are going to come across such a DVD and say to themselves, "Hmmmm....I was on the fence about buying a Three Stooges DVD but since it's in color I'm throwing it in my shopping cart right now!"?

The answer is zero (or nearly zero).

You either like the Three Stooges or you don't. Color isn't going to shift the pendulum a different direction. I don't believe that for one second.

Just my $.02. Your mileage may vary.

Link Removed

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

yep....add that to a pretty hefty price tag for what amounts to just a few shorts, a good portion of which have been previously released.

I must admit to never having been a stooges fan, but if I WAS...I would have to pass this up just on principle. You aren't REALLY given a CHOICE, but they tell you that you are. You're still paying a SRP of $24.95 for four measly shorts in color and black and white. So you're paying for the colorized shorts whether you want them or not.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
If these were all-new, previously unavailable shorts, I might have bitten the bullet. But for Columbia to screw us with just FOUR shorts -- two of which have been previously available -- per set, forget it. Anyone who buys these is a sucker.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, very much so. Men in Black and Punch Drunks (previously on Curly Classics) look marvelous in the B&W versions on Goofs on the Loose. Ditto for Violent is the Word for Curly (previously on All the World's a Stooge), which is on Stooged & Confoosed. Punch Drunks in particular has a stunning level of detail. Gone are the ugly scratches and murkiness of the original releases.

My fury at these discs' double-dipping was significantly tempered by the high quality restorations and transfers given to these classics, which were really bad prints, that were given shoddy transfers, the first time around.

My reviews of these two discs at dOc:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=6258
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=6254

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah $19.99 for a disk that runs 61 min and has 4 shorts, well technically 8 because of the worthless duplication because of the colorized versions is insane. Columbia treats what should be it's most prized possesssion very badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks