Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone knows what people working at Disneyland get paid?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 11:03 AM

We just go back from our trip there. The shuttle bus driver said there 10K employee working there at any one time. Wow!

I have a little daughter so we got in line a lot to take photos of Disney Princesses. I had in mind that they're working their way up to being an actress or something. I was curious how much they get paid. I probably can guess on what some of the regular jobs get paid but was curious about the performers: photo session characters, parade, shows, ect...

#2 of 11 Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 11:32 AM

I had a friend who worked in the park and in corporate at Disneyland, his sister was a dancer / costumed character player. Basically, almost everyone makes squat except the more main characters you see in suits and the dancers in the major shows or parades. Those jobs can pay very well.

The very best job in the park from my understanding is Tinkerbell, as that person gets hazard pay for flying down a wire to the Castle twice a night to the tune of $1000 a performance. So $2K a night for ~30 mins of work, not too shabby. But there's only one Tinkerbell position available and many, many hungry performers, so I'm sure Tink is mindful of that.

#3 of 11 DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 11:39 AM

What? I've been to Disneyland about 8x and never saw Tinkerbell doing that or even Tinkerbell at all! Posted Image

#4 of 11 Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted August 09 2004 - 12:10 PM

I had a few IE (industrial engineer) friends work at Disney World and they made a decent salary. The work was interesting (find the optimal place to put the T-shirt stand for max sales, etc.).

#5 of 11 Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 12:57 PM

I knew someone that went to work for Disney World as part of a summer college program. She worked a food stand and made very little money (like $6/hr). They had to live in dorm-type apartments and still had to pay room and board. In the end, she really didn't walk away with any money.

#6 of 11 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 01:37 PM

Yea at my college there's always a ton of flyers to get poor college students down there to work for the summer. It really sounds and looks enticing from the pictures but I know in the back of my mind they won't pay much. Leila that's insane they had to pay room and board on $6/hr!?

Aren't Disney employess called "cast members" by the way?

#7 of 11 Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 01:55 PM

Quote:
Leila that's insane they had to pay room and board on $6/hr!?

Yeah. I mean, it wasn't like paying for your own place "out in the real world". I think they only had to pay a nominal amount, maybe $200/month, but of course that was with sharing the place with several other people.

I'm not 100% on the specifics, but I know that she said the job was crappy, the pay was crappy, the living arrangements were crappy, and in the end she didn't really gain financially from it all.

She really wanted to be an accountant for Disney but apparently before you can work at a real job you have to go through a short stint working the crappy jobs. I guess that's how they lure all these college kids in, with promises of greener pastures. I don't know what really happened when she was there, but it seemed she became so jaded with the place she never went back.

#8 of 11 Jason L.

Jason L.

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 03:15 PM

I remember a friend of a friend of a friend who supposedly worked for Disney down in Florida, on college summer break like you described.

He said it was the wildest summer ever. Picture hanging out in a college-type dorm, with hot-looking chicks everywhere, sunny weather, alcahol galore, parties every night, no classes, no responsibilities, no supervision, no boyfriends/girlfriends watching, making friends with people from all over the USA, and waaaaayyyy too much time on everyone's hands [as they say - the Devil's handywork].

I wish I had known about it when I was in college, because I would have gone in a heartbeat.

#9 of 11 Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:38 AM

They only recruit at a few schools. I have know a couple of people who have done the college program at WDW in Florida. They pretty much said it was as you descibed Jason, except you actually got to meet poeple from all over the world with plenty of time on their hands. Of course, there was plenty to do if you wanted to avoid the party lifestyle as well, just like college or anything else really.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#10 of 11 DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:41 AM

Hmmm... I think I want to quit my good salary research job and go there Posted Image.

Part of me want to use my art skill to work there one day but have no idea how to go about it.

#11 of 11 Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 10:56 AM

Quote:
He said it was the wildest summer ever. Picture hanging out in a college-type dorm, with hot-looking chicks everywhere, sunny weather, alcahol galore, parties every night, no classes, no responsibilities, no supervision, no boyfriends/girlfriends watching, making friends with people from all over the USA, and waaaaayyyy too much time on everyone's hands [as they say - the Devil's handywork].

I had a friend go down to Disney World to work for a summer job during college. He went down there straight and with a girlfriend and came back out of the closet with a boyfriend (who was his roommate). Another friend went down there had a good time, but ended up being sent home for sneaking into one of the bars there with a fake ID.

Sounds like your friend had a good time, but from what my friends told me, you are very likely to be roomed with someone of a different sexual persuasion if you stay in their dorms. For my one friend, this turned out well and he found the boy of his dreams, for my other friend, it was somewhat of an inconvenience.

J

Forum Nav Content I Follow