Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Invaders

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
823 replies to this topic

#21 of 824 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 03:50 AM

After holding off for 2 years I've decided to transfer my tapes of the Invaders to DVD. I was hoping that we would eventually see a DVD release, especially considering the popularity of SciFi. But several factors have led me to this decision:

1 - The major studios seem to not be concerning themselves with niche titles. Unlike the music industry, which creates separate divisions and labels to market things that appeal to smaller audiences, the television industry appears to not be going in that direction.

2 - The Combat release, which took the 46:30 timesped tapes to use rather than going back to the masters. All Worldvision shows, when they created their Evergreen package in the early 80s, were mastered to tape in that form.

I have complete, unsped Invaders masters from a PBS station. While they are from 16mm prints and not in the greatest condition, at least they are in the original running time without any speeding up or trimming done. Do I think the show will eventually come out? Yes, at some point I do. But I also think that whoever does put it out, Paramount, Image, whoever, is not going to go to the expense of remastering it when they can take the 46:30 episodes from 1-inch.

#22 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 01:33 AM

"We are theorizing with reality, theorizing as to who flies UFOs and why they are here. The 'other' shows are playing with dimension of time and space while THE INVADERS takes the hundreds of news reports that we have gotten and continue to get and goes a step further in that David Vincent knows why they are here. I've always wanted to star in my own series and now that I've got one I'd go anywhere and work and work any kind of hours to make it successful."--Roy Thinnes.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Tomorrow January 10th, 2005 marks the 38th Year of the original primetime broadcast debut on the ABC Television Network of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes.

As a fan of THE INVADERS myself I thought it only fitting to commemorate this auspicious celebration I have reconstructed the original TV GUIDE magazine Close-Up that appeared in the January 7th - 13th, 1967 issue announcing the premiere of this (favourite)
1960s SF tv classic.

TV GUIDE Close-Up dated Tuesday, January 10th, 1967.

8:30 P.M. E.S.T. (CH. 7, 13)

THE INVADERS - Adventure

"Beachhead" Debut - Colour.

Try to picture yourself in David Vincent's shoes. He must warn his fellow humans of an invasion from outer space. Would anyone believe you?

David's nightmarish mission begins after he sees a large, glowing UFO land in a misty backwoods clearing. Two events convince David that he's on the right track: a mysterious fire in his apartment and an unearthly couple who are posing as honeymooners.

To get proof of the invasion, David heads for the couple's home...which he finds in a modern but virtually deserted ghost town.

Joseph Sargent directed from a script by Anthony Wilson.

Series created by Quinn Martin whose other tv shows include The FBI and The Fugitive.

(60 Minutes)

David Vincent..........................Roy Thinnes

Guest Cast

Alan Landers............................James Daly

Kathy Adams............................Diane Baker

Det. Lt. Ben Holman..................J.D. Cannon

Deputy Sheriff Carver................John Milford

Aunt Sarah...............................Ellen Corby

John Brandon.............................Skip Ward

Mrs. Brandon.....................Bonnie Beecher

Mr. Kemper.........................Vaughn Taylor

THE INVADERS CLOSING TITLE THEME (Click Here).

HAPPY 38TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE INVADERS!!!!!

Jeff T.

#23 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 10:20 AM

"We hope to speak with someone at Paramount on Monday to get the story on the possible delay."--Gord Lacey.

If Gord can get in contact with Paramount Pictures then why not ask them when a DVD release of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes can be expected?

Furthermore when will this classic 1960s SF tv series be made available in tv syndication in North America (the U.S. and Canada)?

Just what plans does Paramount have for THE INVADERS and when can we expect to hear something about them?

Currently THE INVADERS is airing on U.K television.

Unless this is brought to Paramount's attention (most probably) nothing will be done about making THE INVADERS available here once again.

Jeff T.

#24 of 824 OFFLINE   Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
North America (the U.S. and Canada)
As opposed to North America (Wales and Pakistan)?Posted Image

Blimey, Jeff, how many more times do you have to go on about The Invaders (sorry, THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes, although quite what other series it could be I don't know)? We get the message, you want it on DVD!

And instead of berating someone else who's been in contact with Paramount on a different subject, why not write (as in letter) to Paramount yourself, asking for it to be released? Nothing too fanboy-ish, not too much bold text or fancy pictures, just a nice, normal letter.Posted Image
"There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" - The Doctor.

#25 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
"And instead of berating someone else who's been in contact with Paramount on a different subject."--Jonathan Kyle.

Just who is being berated here? I don't get you at all on this!

If there's an (actual) e-mail address to Paramount Pictures then if somebody will be give it to me I'll be only too glad to contact them myself.

As far as my message posts are concerned if you don't like them you don't have to read them.

Try to bear that in mind!

Jeff T.

#26 of 824 OFFLINE   Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
"And instead of berating someone else who's been in contact with Paramount on a different subject."--Jonathan Kyle.

Jonathan who?

Quote:
Just who is being berated here? I don't get your you at all on this!

And I don't understand what you mean by "I don't get your you". But to explain, your post appeared to be berating Gord Lacey for being able to get in touch with Paramount on a different matter (you quoted him, but presumably from an unrelated thread as he's not posted to this thread) but not to mention The Invaders ("If Gord can get in contact with Paramount Pictures then why not ask them..." etc. etc.).

Quote:
If there's an (actual) e-mail address to Paramount Pictures then if somebody will be give it to me I'll be only too glad to contact them myself.

Don't e-mail. Write a letter. In an age of multiple e-mail addresses, e-mails probably don't get paid as much attention as a good old-fashioned letter.

A quick Google tells me that Paramount Pictures is located at 5555 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90038. Try writing to the Head of Home Entertainment. Will he/she read it? Who knows, but if enough people who are fan of The Invaders write politely, who knows what might happen?
"There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" - The Doctor.

#27 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 08:04 AM

Okay I should have said, "I don't get you at all on this."

And as far as Gord Lacey is concerned I reiterate that no one's been berated here. I (indirectly) asked if Gord could get in contact with Paramount Pictures then to make some (important) inquiries about THE INVADERS since it seems that this tv property is now in some sort of moratorium as a viable property in both North American tv syndication and as a potential home video release.

So obviously you thought wrong.

Pertaining to the use of snail mail this happens to be the 21st Century and electronic mailing is the medium of the age not the outmoded stamped envelope. You mean people still use this?

Once again I reiterate if there's an actual e-mail address to Paramount Television I will be only too glad to contact them myself. If Paramount Pictures doesn't utilize the internet then perhaps it's high time they kept in step with the other major distribution companies.

Just what is the point of all the advanced technology that's accessible nowadays if it isn't put to any (constructive) use?

Some people respond to my message posts here pertaining to VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA or THE INVADERS with a "yawn" but frankly I can't think of anything more disinteresting than the majority of the tv series that are currently being made available on DVD.

Jeff T.

#28 of 824 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 01:57 PM

Quote:
make some (important) inquiries about THE INVADERS

What makes this inquiry more important than any other inquiry we might make?
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#29 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 02:50 PM

I really don't know why people are making some sort of argument out of this!

Technically speaking THE INVADERS is no longer available for tv syndication in North Amercia since its acquisition by Paramount Pictures in 1999 and there has to be an accountable reason why?

Is one of the online DVD news information services going to get to the bottom of this (mystery) or not? And I've asked plenty of (similar) sources to no avail.

When it comes to the major DVD distribution companies just why is that people are so (seemingly) loath to ask any questions about tv properties outside of what these outfits already have in mind for release? Why is there resistance (in this day and age) to the idea of asking questions...period! How else is one to learn anything and assertain the truth?

As far as THE INVADERS is concerned of course it's important. But I said that the questions were "important" in the light of what's happened to this classic 1960s SF tv series. You don't want to help out fine. Then I'll continue to make inquiries elsewhere.

Meanwhile the online DVD news services can continue making (all-important) progress reports on the likes of THE BRADY BUNCH, HAPPY DAYS, LAVERN AND SHIRLEY, HUCKLEBERRY HOUND and YOGI BEAR all of which absolutely nobody should go without...and you (certainly) can have it all! Making a complete laughing stock of the whole tv series on DVD industry.

Yes, yes I know these tv shows are soooooooooo popular! So much for mainstream tastes.

Now maybe THE INVADERS might not sell as well as the aforementioned 1970s sitcoms...but it will sell satisfactorily enough (read: profitably) to justify its release.

You doubt this? Then just look at how well THE INVADERS (not to mention VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL for that matter) are doing on the blackmarket of illicit DVD sales. Check out eBay where these are very high demand tv premiums.

For me when a legally issued DVD collection of THE INVADERS is (finally) made available I'm ready to buy it! In the interim I'd (really) like to know why this tv series is (currently) not available for tv syndication in North America and yet it is in the U.K.? Will this situation change in the (foreseeable) future?

Jeff T.

#30 of 824 OFFLINE   Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 08:35 PM

Jeff, write them a letter. Seriously. Yes, this is the 21st century, but when so much e-mail is spam is it any wonder that written letters are given more credence? It's the same with petitions; no-one takes any notice of online petitions because they can be easily hijacked, whereas a written one (or, even better, a concerted letter-writing campaign) will have much more impact.

#31 of 824 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 10:39 PM

I really don't know why people are making some sort of argument out of this!

Technically speaking THE INVADERS is no longer available for tv syndication in North Amercia since its acquisition by Paramount Pictures in 1999 and there has to be an accountable reason why?

Is one of the online DVD news information services going to get to the bottom of this (mystery) or not? And I've asked plenty of (similar) sources to no avail.

When it comes to the major DVD distribution companies just why is that people are so (seemingly) loath to ask any questions about tv properties outside of what these outfits already have in mind for release? Why is there resistance (in this day and age) to the idea of asking questions...period! How else is one to learn anything and assertain the truth?

As far as THE INVADERS is concerned of course it's important. But I said that the questions were "important" in the light of what's happened to this classic 1960s SF tv series. You don't want to help out fine. Then I'll continue to make inquiries elsewhere.

Meanwhile the online DVD news services can continue making (all-important) progress reports on the likes of THE BRADY BUNCH, HAPPY DAYS, LAVERN AND SHIRLEY, HUCKLEBERRY HOUND and YOGI BEAR all of which absolutely nobody should go without...and you (certainly) can have it all! Making a complete laughing stock of the whole tv series on DVD industry.

Yes, yes I know these tv shows are soooooooooo popular! So much for mainstream tastes.

Now maybe THE INVADERS might not sell as well as the aforementioned 1970s sitcoms...but it will sell satisfactorily enough (read: profitably) to justify its release.

You doubt this? Then just look at how well THE INVADERS (not to mention VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL for that matter) are doing on the blackmarket of illicit DVD sales. Check out eBay where these are very high demand tv premiums.

For me when a legally issued DVD collection of THE INVADERS is (finally) made available I'm ready to buy it! In the interim I'd (really) like to know why this tv series is (currently) not available for tv syndication in North America and yet it is in the U.K.? Will this situation change in the (foreseeable) future?

Jeff T.
Jeff, all of the points I bold-faced above that you write in response to my question basically say the same thing: that asking about "The Invaders" is "important" only because the show is important to YOU. Nobody else asks me about that show. Nobody. It is ranked #300 among unreleased shows on our site. Jake 2.0 is ranked higher than that, and since it's one of my personal favorites, I'm more likely to ask about Jake 2.0 if the opportunity came up.

Instead of asking about any one person's personal favorites - even my own - I ask about things EVERYONE is asking me about. Mission: Impossible, Wild Wild West, Carol Burnett Show, etc. All ranked much higher on the list of vote-getters among unreleased shows then either your favorite or my favorite.

The studio contacts we manage to talk to don't have a lot of free time, so our calls must stay brief, focused, and hopefully to questions they have the answers to on hand. Frankly, if they have to say, "I'll research that and get back to you", they will get distracted by other more immediate business and forget that the question was asked. I fear that a question like "Is Paramount going to release The Invaders on DVD, and if not then why not?" would fall into such a category.

Not to say I wouldn't ask if the right opportunity came up; I would! But I don't see the question as the centerpiece of a phone call to someone who probably would not have much time available to spend on talking to me. Remember, they want to be nice to "the press", but the people we talk to who have the answers are employed to do other things than talk to Gord or myself.

As for the studio people who ARE employed to talk to the press all day long - the marketing or publicity dept.'s - well, if they knew something, I guarantee you there would have been a press release already. Posted Image

And that, my friend, is why we have had updates on Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Huckleberry Hound, and Yogi Bear! Because someone inside was excited about a project and came to us with the info, or came to another website or newspaper with the info and we relayed the story. I never called a studio and asked about those titles; those stories about those particular titles pretty much came to me unbidden! Now, once I knew something was afoot, we might ask the studio for comments and do some follow-up work in that regard, but as you can see, I have an opening wedge in those cases. With The Invaders I do not...it's a completely out-of-the-blue question!

Why is there resistance (in this day and age) to the idea of asking questions...period! How else is one to learn anything and assertain the truth?
So why aren't YOU following people's advice and asking the questions to the studio yourself? You put SO much energy into jumping on this forum and asking others to ask about your favorite show(s), but with a tiny bit of that energy you could track down the contact info yourself and ask the question directly.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#32 of 824 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 03:25 AM

I would have to agree with Mr. Lambert here. Jeff, simply dash off an e-mail to Paramount. The fact that the studio purchased the rights to the series in 1999 means that it is at least aware of the series. It might even see release on DVD. So go write Paramount.

(I haven't seen this series since, oh, the mid-1970s when it was being syndicated. And I certainly enjoyed it during its first run in the 1960s. It would be a hoot to see on DVD.)

#33 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 10:13 AM

"We got more calls on THE INVADERS than any other of the QM shows. People were always asking what happened to it. It was a very popular show."--Debi Lehr Lawlor, Quinn Martin Films Secretary.

In response to David Lambert's message post Paramount Pictures acquired THE INVADERS as part of a tv series catalogue of various titles when it bought out Aaron Spelling Enterprises in 1999.

Currently all the Quinn Martin tv series in this (former) Aaron Spelling library are now available for tv syndication under the auspices of Paramount Pictures-Viacom International Television with the notable exception of THE INVADERS...why?

Thank you for your extensive response and I certainly didn't want to put you out to that extent but your (considerable) efforts in addition to the information provided are certainly appreciated.

Pertaining to a DVD release of SF tv series franchises like VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, THE TIME TUNNEL or THE INVADERS I honestly don't believe that a situation would (ever) occur where DVD box sets of these specific shows would be sitting on store shelves unsold.

This is all (admittedly) suppositon but the (potential) success of a DVD collection of THE INVADERS can now be gauged with the retails sales results of STAR TREK, THE TWILIGHT ZONE and LOST IN SPACE which in the case of LOST IN SPACE is presumably just what 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment is currently doing in its determination whether to continue on with subsequent DVD releases of the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv franchises.

Since Fox has now established the practice of releasing half-season DVD two volume editions there would be minimal risk in moving ahead with a VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - FIRST SEASON, VOLUME ONE 4-disc DVD box set consisting of the initial 16 episodes from the first season (1964-65) should such a collection fail to be successful...but I maintain that it would be highly successful!

The only means to (conclusively) prove this is do it and as I said there are other similar SF tv series that have already been marketed on DVD to sufficiently ascertain the probable success (or failure) so it's not all strictly guess work involved.

In the particular case of THE INVADERS perhaps it could be leased out to an outfit like Image Entertainment that could make the show (finally) available in high quality disc pressings.

I say that SF films and tv series sell and this genre already has its (sizeable) established market base on a global scale. There are also numerous SF media publications like TV ZONE magazine (in the U.K.) and STARLOG (in the U.S.) not to mention SF tv specialty services like THE SCI-FI CHANNEL that would go on a virtual media blitz with word of an impending DVD release of a SF tv property with the stature of THE INVADERS to be sure.

So Paramount has a lot to seriously consider in the potential sales of THE INVADERS tv franchise.

Jeff T.

#34 of 824 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 05:41 PM

If Paramount is going to exploit their sci-fi library, I suggest they start a Sci-Fi Cult TV label or Cult Tv label. For example, they could start with The Invaders, 7 Days, The Sentinel, and Jake 2.0 7 Days might work because it si being shown in repeats on Spike TV and Jake 2.0 is fresh in people's minds (with four unaired episodes unless you have HDNet).

I do have the Jake 2.0 promo disc from UPN, but I really want to see every episode on DVD in addition to the other three I mentioned. It is good that Paramount listened and released Keen Eddie, but They do need to look at their sci-fi titles since the Trek series releases are soon to dry up (excluding Best-Of theme sets).
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#35 of 824 OFFLINE   Nick Eden

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 05:07 AM

I too would love to see The Invaders out on DVD.

The series was last shown in full, with no commercials or annoying on-screen logos here in the UK back in the early 1990s and it is with doubt a great piece of TV sci-fi.

I believe it will come as there will come a time when ultra-popular material (such as Star Trek, again which I love), cannot be re-packaged any more- people will just be happy with what they have got!

#36 of 824 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 08:38 AM

Well, Nick, there's always the possibility of a high-def edition of everything every studio has sold us thus far.

#37 of 824 OFFLINE   Deke

Deke

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 16 2005 - 03:37 AM

UK Channel 5 is currently showing the series ad-free at around 5 o'clock on Saturday mornings!

Unfortunately I live in a bad C5 reception area...

Roll on the DVD set.
You ain't seen me, right?

#38 of 824 OFFLINE   Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted April 17 2005 - 04:19 AM

Here's another vote for THE INVADERS on DVD... Bring it on, alright! I saw it on German TV in the late sixties and could never really get "into" it, but I guess I just wasn't ready for it at the time. As far as I recall, it was pretty cool. Would you believe it was never re-run in Germany? In fact the first time in decades that I was reminded of that show was when Roy Thinnes popped up on the X-Files...

#39 of 824 OFFLINE   Michael-de-Mat

Michael-de-Mat

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 01:19 AM

I was 11 years old when "The Invaders" premiered. I thought it was on for one season but from what I read it must have had a partial second season. I have what I thought was the first and only season on VHS produced by Goodtimes Home Video. How many episodes were in the first season? Can anyone enlighten me?
Michael de Mat

#40 of 824 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 02:10 AM

Michael,

Episode list for "The Invaders":

http://epguides.com/Invaders/

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow