Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The "Absolute, Bar None, No Holds Barred, Best Recording You Own" thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 11:39 AM

Title says it all. Here's your chance to let the world know what you consider to be the absolute best sound quality recording that you own. Lets assume that aliens have landed, and you want to show off your rig and give them a little insight into our hobby. Its well known that audiophiles will sometimes place greater importance on the recording quality than the performance, but sometimes the two intersect (pretty rarely, IMHO, but it does happen on occasion). Format (CD, SACD, DVD-A, Vinyl, Stereo or MC) is unimportant, nor is the genre. But the catch is, you can only list ONE recording; no sub species or "Best Rock", or "Best classical"...ONE choice. And because I am a wuss, I have not yet decided which of my recordings I would nominate, but given what I presently own, its even money that it will be a DVD-A or perhaps an SACD. So what's the point? Well, for purely selfish reasons, I hope to learn about great sounding recordings that I may never have known about, and maybe even some genres that I would not normally explore. So, with that said, talk amongst yourselves... BGL

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   JordanS

JordanS

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 11:41 AM

Roger Waters "Amused to Death"
Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

-Darth....

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 11:54 AM

Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat

From Amazon.com:

This album's worth of Leonard Cohen tunes was originally released in 1987. It remains as an audiophile's dream, as the recording is generally regarded as one of the best engineered ever. Many cite this disc as a benchmark to really put a stereo system to the test. Not to mention the fact that the performance is brilliant. Features the guitar work of the late Stevie Ray Vaughan & includes the Cohen staples 'Bird on a Wire', 'Joan of Arc (with L.C. on the guest vocal), and seven others.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Warnes' voice, but it's a spectacular recording.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 12:21 PM

John Mc LaughlinPosted Imageromise[cd]

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 03:28 PM

Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" dvda
but I would assume that the aliens have heard it already Posted Image

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 03:32 PM

I can't decide between "And Justice For All..." and "All Things Must Pass."Posted Image
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 04:42 PM

I own too many recordings to say, really. If I picked 3, they'd proably all be vinyl. They'd all be 12" singles and could be 33 1/3 or 45 RPM. I don't have too many DVD-A's and SACD's that compete all that well with vinyl.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 05:43 PM

Brian- Ya gonna make me pick one lp from the 500 odd that I still have? Can't do it! Posted Image

I do have 4 SACDs and 2 DVD-As, and Dark Side of the Moon ain't bad.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 06:08 PM

San Francisco Symphony - Mahler's Symphony No. 1 (SACD)

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 12:01 AM

Round Up (a collection of Western theme songs) by Telarc

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor

• 689 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 12:05 AM

Tales of Mystery and Imagination- Alan Parsons Project Century LP
Charles

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 12:35 AM

Alison Krauss and Union Station: Live

Boy it's tough narrowing it down to one. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 03:00 AM

Yeah, that one and DSOTM are probably my two favorite digital recordings. Both sound fantastic

As for ALL recordings, I have a few of the MFSL Beatles albums, and they are AMAZING! I don't know if it gets ay better than listening to Abbey Rd. through a good vinyl righ (which I believe/hope I have Posted Image ). Though, they do say it's getting better all the time...

I have started my vinyl collection again, and have about 700-800 albums, about twice what my CD collection is (not including MP3's). Can't wait to start cleaning all of them to really get the sound out of those grooves, and who knows, maybe my old, dusty copy of Led Zeppeling III will become my new favorite best recording.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   TomCW

TomCW

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 03:38 AM

Not just to be different, but as AK+US has been mentioned, I will pick 'David Elias - The Window'. You may not like the music (although I can't imagine that), but you can't fault the sonics. As for you vinyl folks... records can sound great, but are just too much hassle for me. I do kinda miss picking which side to play first, but other than that I've never looked back. Tom
I like to live in an altered state/ it makes me love all the things I hate.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon

Second Unit

• 307 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 04:19 AM

CD - Roger Waters: Amused to Death and Steely Dan: Two Against Nature (tie - can't decide) DVD-A - Porcupine Tree: In Absentia Chris

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 04:21 AM

More like IMPOSSIBLE. Great suggestions thus far. As suspected, some music and genres are nominated that I tend to NOT be exposed to. Right now, for my choice (subject to change on a whim) I am inclined to go with a mint, US vinyl copy of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold". This LP got me back into vinyl after a +10 year absence. I went out and bought the newest remastered CD, and while it too sounds very, very good, the highs on the LP just sound soooo smooth. That may well be because the LP is rolled off compared to the Cee Dee, but be that as it may, I find I can crank the LP as loud as I dare and it just sounds better and better. With the cee dee, up to a point its fine (and perhaps exceeds the LP in terms of crispness), but at increasing volume, the highs seem to sound a bit harsh. If I could somehow get the LP to be as clean and quiet as the CD, I would never leave the house! BGL

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 11:56 AM

crosby&nash[new cd]...the sound quality on this disc is amazing[at least through my headphones]

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   DavidLW

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 01:01 PM

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Session (vinyl of course!) Posted Image

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 02:54 PM

Bruckner: Symphony No.8 - Boulez/VPO; DG
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Gregg Z

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 04:24 PM

Mark Levinson "Live Recordings at Red Rose Music Vol 1." Stereo SACD. One of, if not the, top demonstration discs of what SACD is truly capable of. This disc is the result of experimentation (nice way of saying "farting around with some new technology"). It is a series of live sessions done at the Red Rose store in NYC. The mic was plugged straight into the DSD encoder and the output transfered to disc. No mixing, no editing, no takes. Truly pure DSD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users