What's new

3 songs that have impacted you greatly (1 Viewer)

JordanS

Second Unit
1) Pink Floyd's PULSE version of "High Hopes"

The last Pink Floyd song on record. A masterpiece with an orchestral movement and a guitar solo from heaven. A great way to end Pink Floyd, my favorite band. Songs ends with the lyrics "Forever and ever" which to me implies that the music created by this band will live on in that fashion.

2)Radiohead's "How To Disappear Completely"

The song, like my #1 just moves me right into a different dimension. The music is just outstanding and Thom Yorke delivers one of his best vocal performances ever. The slow part of "Paranoid Android" (all I can say is "WOW") almost made it the winner.

3)Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"

Introduced me into the wonderful world of classical music. Now, along with classic rock, is my favorite type of music.

What are your 3 songs that have greatly impacted you?

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Depeche Mode - Somebody

Radiohead - Paranoid Anadroid & The National Anthem
(live performances, Thom Yorke is a god!)

Travis - All I Wanna Do Is Rock
(after this song Andy Dunlop's amp broke, during this song i felt like i was on stage pouring my heart out)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Rush-Tom Sawyer

Introduced me to prog rock at a young age and I still haven't recovered from it.

Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody

Taught me that music didn't have to be the standard issue stuff they churn out on top 40 radio.

AC/DC-Let There Be Rock

Pure energy, pure rock...opened my eyes to how powerful a simple song can be.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The Times They Are A'Changin' by Bob Dylan. I believed every word of this song to be the cold-blooded truth the first time and everytime I hear it.

She's Leaving Home by The Beatles...really, one of several songs on Sgt. Pepper that struck nerves for me.

I'm The Slime (ouzzin' from your TV set) by Zappa & the Mothers ...a very phrophetic song about the future of television.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Rain Song by Led Zeppelin: I heard this song about 5 years ago and was mesmerized. Zeppelin was just everyday hard rock to me before I heard this gem.

Four Seasons by Vivaldi: The most beautiful of all classical / baroque music. I first heard it on the "Cosmos" (Sagan PBS special) soundtrack. Led me to other classical artists like Mozart, Strauss.

Limelight by Rush: The most powerful rock song I've ever heard. The lyrics convey a rather personal message from the band - unusual for them.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Easy Street-Edgar Winter Group (Actually, my first exposure to Edgar Winter was a later album, Shock Treatment(1974). Still a major favorite, Edgar's voice is sweet. I love the duality of this album with Edgar and Dan Hartman's songs miles from each other. A bit more polished than the lovely White Trash stuff, but some great Derringer guitar work. But Easy Street is ALL Edgar.)

White Rabbit- Jefferson Airplane (I can't state here what Grace Slick's harmonic minor singing in White Rabbit still does to me)

Soldier's Things- Tom Waits- About the most visual song I have ever heard.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Ozzy's 'Bark at the Moon' - In my youth, I had been raised on vanilla music and had been brainwashed into thinking Heavy Metal and more specifically Ozzy was evil. Once I heard that song on the radio nearly 20 years ago, it was like a floodgate being opened. It opened me up to all kinds of different music.

The Cure's 'Disintegration' - Well just say it evokes strong memories of a painful breakup :angry: , but I cant get enough of it.

Van Halen's 'Eruption' - Made me pick up my 1st guitar.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Dexie's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen [first song I remember being really gaga for]

AC-DC - Back in Black [foundation of my JHS/HS musical tastes]

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit [a watershed for many more than me, I'm sure]

Moussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition [remains most moving work I know]

Morricone - Good Bad and Ugly Soundtrack

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Country Feedback - REM

Dream Come True - Frozen Ghost

Need You Tonight - Inxs

Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away (first song I fell in love with from Pink Floyd when I was 10, and my dad bought it)

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (to this day, after thousands of listens, if I sing along I still get goosebumps)

Pearl Jam - Jeremy (don't listen anymore, but at that point in time in my youth, it was a huge song to me)

A Day In The Life - The Beatles.
Formally introduced me to the Beatles when I was a kid. Still remains my favorite Beatles song.

Paranoid Android - Radiohead.
The most epic, and greatest recorded rock song of all time. IMHO.

Mayonaise/Spaceboy - Smashing Pumpkins.
These two tracks, back to back, epitomize my youth. Get chills everytime I hear either one.

-SDP

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Fade to Black - Metallica

I still can't believe that thrash metal can also be so beautiful. This is the only metal song I know of that the chorus is so good it doesn't even need lyrics. I'd have to throw Orion and Master of Puppets in here too as far as giving me the same kind of feeling.

Learning to Live - Dream Theater

Introduced me to progressive metal (well, 80's metallica was progressive too, at least to my ears, but not near to this level). From this point on (1992), I have always prefered longer and more complex metal songs.

Back in Black - ACDC

I will always remember hearing that song for the first time. I was in the first grade at the time, and my mom had always said that rock music was evil so I had never heard anything remotely heavy. I was down the street at a friends house who was a couple of years older and he played it for me. I was so blown away by what I was hearing, that I can't put it into words. It was complete sensory overload in a very good way. I kept having him go back to the very beginning of the song over and over again. It's clear to me that day shaped my musical tastes for the rest of my life.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Big ups--respect for "Learning to Live." DT's Images and Words got me back into prog in 1994 and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence did it again eight years later.

Only three? I'm gonna need some honorable mentions.

Peter Gabriel - "The Rhythm of the Heat." I started getting into Gabriel because of "Big Time." Security set me straight about what was really great about him. From Gabriel I went to early Genesis and that was it. I was hooked on prog rock for life. Yes, Kansas, ELP, and Dream Theater just came naturally after that.

The Who - "Love, Reign O'er Me." Quadrophenia was the soundtrack of my adolescence. I haven't been able to listen to this as much lately since I saw a guy attempt suicide during its climax at a concert 15 years ago, though.

Rich Mullins - "Sometimes by Step." Probably my favorite song right now, and one I was blessed to be able to sing in church last Saturday. Mullins mixes the epic with the personal in ways I didn't think possible, and he is perhaps the most passionate and earnest songwriter I have ever heard. His death in 1997 still reverberates throughout contemporary Christian music.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

The Beatles - "A Day in the Life"
Bruce Cockburn - "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"
Dream Theater - "Metropolis Pt. 1"
ELP - "Karn Evil 9"
Tim Firth - "Keen on Cars"
Dan Fogelberg - "Nexus"
Peter Gabriel - "Family Snapshot"
Genesis - "Supper's Ready"
Joe Jackson - "Another World"
Kansas - "Paradox"
Cindy Morgan - "Alive and Well"
Sam Phillips - "Lying"
Jane Siberry - "Hockey"
Pete Townshend - "A Little Is Enough"
Wesley Willis - "Shoot My Jam Session Down"
Yes - "Close to the Edge"

NP: Tim Firth - Harmless Flirting

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
With only 23 years under my belt, my songs are a bit more recent than some of the others mentioned.

Green Day - When I come around
Brought me into a different kind of music: punk, which I then explored further. Both backward and forward in time.

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle
Reminds me of my father (not 'cause he wasn't there, but because he liked the song)

Any song from Live's 'Throwing Copper' CD
Peak of my youth listening days. Other bands in that era for me were Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
"The Weight," by The Band.

"A Day in the Life," by The Beatles.

"America," by Simon and Garfunkel.

These are the first 3 to come to mind. "The Weight" is purely mythological and, because it's message is a universally human one, inspirational. I agree with those that call "A Day in the Life" the greatest song ever written. Simon and Garfunkel wrote the soundtrack to my childhood, and "America" perfectly blends their poetry, their intellectualism and their romanticism.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

How about Afterimage?

1. Manhattan Project - Rush: Just a powerful song, lyrically and musically.

2. Pirate Looks at 40 - Jimmy Buffett: Sums up my feeling that I ended up "arriving too late."

3. Achilles Last Stand - Led Zeppelin: Just a kick a$$ song by powerful band.

I think this list applies today; but tomorrow, yesterday or last year I would probably have a very different list.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Great song.

I love the version on A Show of Hands, and I think that Power Windows is a very underrated Rush album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks