What's new

You REALLY have to see this....... (1 Viewer)

gregD

Second Unit
At least they kept the price under four figures.

Bet it sounds even better if you paint it green.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I can go to my hardware store and buy wooden drawer knobs for about $1. I don't see any difference. Wow, I can get that great improvement in sound for only 0.25% of the price

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe we should see a Secrets review of this one too... For close to $500, it's well worth it compared to those $$$ power cables! :p)

J

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Some day audiophilia will kill me. They'll develop $5000 LED indicator lights for CD-players and suddely "layers" of detailed sound will appear. Much of that sound will be of me laughing so hard my nose bleeds and I run out of blood in an hour or so.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i posted that last week in another thread (the "is he smoking something" thread). it is pretty absurd.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
did you guys notice that these are replacement knobs for a $6,000 piece of equipment that, as best I can tell, functions the same as a volume control.

I would think for 6K, they could throw in the $500 wooden knobs.

BTW, is that $485 for a knob or a pair of knobs?

The more I look at that website, the more I want to be locked in a room with the owner of that company for about 5 minutes. Somebody really needs to kick the sh** out of that guy

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Perhaps we are looking at this in the wrong way. After all, if the people selling this sort of thing for this kind of money actually ropes some pigeons to pay these kind of prices, maybe we should consider doing it ourselves. That way, we can make the money (easier) ;) to indulge in our HTF or sound equipment/DVD/audio CD/computer hard and software habits.

P.T. Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
You could buy a used lathe, some wood and probably make 50 knobs for the price they are selling this one at. Since the investment in the equipment would be made, you could then make hundreds of them and sell them at $50 - undercutting the competition. Plus, you could use all kinds of exotic woods for lots of appeal.

Thanks for sharing the link to the knobs. I guess if one has the money to put towards such an item, they truly have too much money and too much time in their lives. :)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Well, only if you use green
Magic Maker. Start messing w/ tempera paint, crayons, dye or felt and you're hosed, big time.

Personally, I'm having some knobs milled from Shakti Stone.

:D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I just realized the amp pictured on the site has two knobs. I guess this means that you have to pay $480 x 2 to get your amp properly situated.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I spent a little time exploring the site...

did you know it came up with a 'fatal error' if you clicked on the 'Sale' link?

Leo Kerr

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Leo, Darnit ... now, we know that you were just trying to process a sale from the site so you could see how much they wanted for shipping on those bad boys. Considering the price they're asking for the knobs and that they only weigh 1/2 of a pound, the shipping must be at least $50. :D :D

[Edit]: I was able to add the items to my shopping cart and process through the sale. UPS Next Day Air comes out to be $40.75 for a pair of these things. Sheesh.

Lifestyles ... of the rich and stupid. :roll; :roll;

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And its very particpants are wondering why their cherished high-end audio cottage industry is dying such a swift death. The sheer hubris is killing them off. While home theater provides demonstrable value with its consumer electronics.

How can these people sleep at night?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There are many comfortable mattresses and doctors willing to write a Vicodin scrip.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
no, no... the 'sale' button I was pushing was to see what items they had at reduced price.

Unless, of course, they were doing the old - quick! boost the price by 200% and then give 'em a 25% off sale! - trick.

Leo

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Stuff like that just leaves me kinda speechless...

But if they can make even one sale (much less sleep at night) then I'd bet that we all could come up with some business where belly button lint can be used as a superior room treatment. I already know where I'd shamelessly rip the oh-so-profound praise prose from... I mean, if they're selling a 1 meter RCA cable for $1,200 with an "unbleached, natural cotton dielectric" (and apparently with directional arrows so you knows exactly which way your electrons should flow...) then there has to be a market somewhere for unbleached natural belly button lint.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
As an aside, the whole premise is that the knobs are treated with C37 lacquer. Now what that laquer is, is anybody's guess and I once tried to get an MSDS for the product but was unsuccessful. I imagine my ability to get might hinge on local state laws. The laquer itself is purported to reduce unwanted vibrations (one of them hi-end audiophile claims that remain unsubstantiated) and I think people use it on tubes also as well as treating various electronic components. For a twist, you could probably market red urushi lacquer and state something silly like its a proprietary formulation based on technology that goes back 5000 years in Japan. Toss in some gobbledygook about how the ancients were wise beyond their time and sounds to me like you've got a winner. Make sure you post it on the Asylum and send samples to 6moons. They like that kind of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks