Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

This Was Going To Be A DualDisc Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Chris-V

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 06:53 AM

I wandered into my local Tower Records yesterday and saw a display with several DualDisc titles. I've had one eye on DD for a while but had only seen one other store with the display, and it didn't have any titles I was interested in. This one had a couple, so I was going to pick one up and put together a review.

Then I started looking at them. The title that grabbed me was Audioslave, which seems like it would be a great hi-rez multichannel listening experience. I checked the details on the back and was disappointed to see that the only hi-rez product on the DVD side was the album tracks in PCM stereo. That was disappointing because I'm more a fan of multichannel, and wasn't willing to shell out $20 to buy the disc a second time just for the stereo tracks. Disappointing, but to each their own. I knew what the disc included and it wasn't my cup of tea.

AS long as I was looking, I decided to check out some of the other titles to see what they offered. I was very frustrated. There was some discussion in a previous thread about standardization of the hi-rez product on DD's, and whether we'd be getting 24/48 or 96. It appears from the titles I looked at that not only is there no standardization as far as content, there is also no standardization as far as labeling. Each disc had its own labeling, almost none of which was helpful. Choices ranged from the Audioslave "PCM Stereo," to "Entire album in 5.1 surround sound" with no indication even of whether it was ARS or Dolby, to "advanced resolution sound," which could obviously be stereo or 5.1, at either 48 or 96, to no information at all.

I finally decided it wasn't worth the cash to pick up a disc that I might bring home and discover was just stereo, or didn't even include hi-rez audio.

The frequency issue has been a problem with standard DVD-A's, and it appears that for the moment at least, there is no move in the industry to resolve that with any kind of standardized labeling for DualDiscs.

I read an article yesterday indicating that the big roll-out of DualDiscs will likely be postponed until early next year at least. If they do become a mass-market reality, let's hope for better labeling than the "catch as catch can" labels I saw yesterday.

#2 of 8 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
I read an article yesterday indicating that the big roll-out of DualDiscs will likely be postponed until early next year at least. If they do become a mass-market reality, let's hope for better labeling than the "catch as catch can" labels I saw yesterday.

See the DVDA thread where I posted a link to the Steve Hoffman discussion and the original article.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#3 of 8 Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,757 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted August 07 2004 - 07:59 AM

I have not seen DualDiscs. But lack of labels is very frustrating. Several of the early Warner DVD-A titles, besides having no info as to resolution, indicated an advanced resolution stereo mix when in fact there was no discrete stereo mix at all. I'm the opposite, I'll buy for stereo and in a minority of cases, I'll like the surround mix. So I won't buy any disc w/o hearing it if it has no stereo. SACDs in many cases also don't give the details of the recording chain behind what is on the disc (e.g. PCM, analog master, etc.)

I'm not at all looking forward to DualDisc. I'm not about to stick them in my home machines hoping they won't cause a problem due to weight or thickness. If I listen to stuff in the car it is on CD-Rs only. Personally I'd prefer to have more DVD-A titles vs. less titles and more DualDiscs.

#4 of 8 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 08:10 AM

But Phil think of all the great video content you will be missing! Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#5 of 8 Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,757 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted August 07 2004 - 09:49 AM

I know Lee but we are likely the minority on a board like this. I think I may have looked at a few of the video things on some of the DVD-As I have. I don't even care that much about the extras on DVD-V discs. I'd rather have a Superbit disc with less filler. I am not a huge fan of concert videos either and I probably only have about a dozen of those. If I want video that is what I would buy.

#6 of 8 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 10:39 AM

I usually only look at video content about once or twice. The only DVD-A I've watched more than that is Buena Vista Social Club. I listen to music way more than I watch it.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#7 of 8 John Wes

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 02:31 PM

Video? Too much to do about nothing.....DVD-A's are around the same cost of an SACD.....I would guess it's kinda like an LP only better as far as all the info you could include.

I don't get why those who don't want it, make such a big deal about it. Set your menu up in your player, keep your tv off and enjoy the music....Just like an SACD....Now if the price of them because of video were more, then I could understand.

Maybe it's more about a standard bias than the music..

*shurgs*

Back to topic....no Tower Records around here.....Time to start looking online for that Audioslave..Posted Image

#8 of 8 Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,757 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted August 08 2004 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
Set your menu up in your player, keep your TV off and enjoy the music

Sorry but the hardware does not work that like with all players. Many default to group 1 (some players don't even have a group button) and most often is the surround mix, which in most cases I don't like. Yes there are variations in DVD-A authoring and some are better than others as well. The format in general is trying to piggyback off the success of DVD-V, the most successful consumer format in history and I am not sticking the disc in for its video content. I want to stick it in and be able to hear stereo most of the time, try the surround to see if I like it and sometimes compare the CD audio. If I wanted a concert video I would buy one. The worst feature of DVD-A (nothing to do with sound quality) is moving away from the 20 yr. established norm of listening to music by sticking it into the transport and be able to push play or "CD/SACD" w/o the hassle of how something was authored. DVD-A should do itself a favor and make it a std that all discs be authored to the spec that allows the audio button (since virtually every player if not every one has it) to toggle between mixes.

Forum Nav Content I Follow