Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will Seinfeld be cropped?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 09:10 AM

I've read the Seinfeld press release where they say the show will be released in high definition. Since high definition is widescreen, and the show was originally shot in the regular TV 4:3 ratio, does this mean the DVD will show the picture cropped, like the Kung Fu DVD set?
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Aaron_H

Aaron_H

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 09:59 AM

Carlos,

Seinfeld will not be cropped. When the press release says "now in high definition," they are actually saying that the shows were remastered in high definition.

Seinfeld was shot on film in the 4:3 aspect ratio. So, the producers of this DVD went back to the original film elements and made a whole new high definition transfer of the episodes. This high definition transfer is then used to create the DVD transfer at standard definition (480i/p). Just because a transfer is high definition does not mean that it is widescreen. It could be 4:3 or whatever.

The DVDs that will be released in November will be in standard definition. I imagine Sony may re-release Seinfeld in high definition someday on Blu-Ray (their proprietary high definition DVD format). This is probably more than a few years away, though.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 04:16 PM

Yeah. I have a hard time believing they'd release seinfeld on DVD in FAKE widescreen if they aren't even committed to doing it with their movies that were filmed that way...

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 05:09 PM

Very good point Robert.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 06:17 PM

Did it bother anyone else that the press released claimed, multiple times, the releases were in HD?

Never Looked So Good All 40 Episodes, Now in High Definition, Available November 23
Seinfeld, the show about nothing, finally debuts on DVD November 23 - newly enhanced in high definition.
bring the talent back to chat about the show and then see the original episodes with high-definition images has been a thrill for all of us

I know it's just a case of stupid marketing people not knowing shit about technology-- but it's openly false and further clouds the consumer understanding of HD!

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,234 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 11:53 PM

Quote:
Seinfeld was shot on film in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

WRONG!!!! Seinfeld is "Filmed in Panavision" so they must have been shot with anamorphic lenses at a 2.35:1 AR. Check out the credits next time you are watching, a lot of them say that.

(BTW, this is not a serious post and I do know that Seinfeld is not filmed in widescreen) but I do think it is funny that many episodes indicate that the show was "Filmed in Panavision"
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Roger_R

Roger_R

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
BTW, this is not a serious post and I do know that Seinfeld is not filmed in widescreen) but I do think it is funny that many episodes indicate that the show was "Filmed in Panavision"
So Panavision-cameras that are non-widescreen are not Panavision cameras? Take a look at this site: http://panavision.com/ Sounds to me Panavision is just a firm that's renting out filming gear to studios.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 08:21 AM

but I do think it is funny that many episodes indicate that the show was "Filmed in Panavision"

Panavision makes more than just anamorphic lenses.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 12:53 PM

Did they cut the original film to conform to the tape edits even back in the first and second season?

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 01:34 PM

Ooh, that's a good question. If not, then they're going to quite an expense to have the HD masters of the appropriate raw footage conformed to the old standard def edits.

The main title supers were on video as well, and there was occasional greenscreen backgrounds for scenes in moving cars. I wonder how they're handling that.
-Jay

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
Panavision makes more than just anamorphic lenses.

No, WillG makes a good point. The "Filmed in Panavision" tag generally refers, at least in theatrically released films, to films shot with Panavision anamorphic lenses. Films shot with Panavision equipment but not with anamorphic lenses generally states "Filmed with Panaflex Cameras and Lenses." These phrases are not used with complete consistency, however, so there are exceptions. But historically, "Panavision" is an anamorphic process, made by a company, also called Panavision, which makes Panaflex cameras and both anamorphic and spherical lenses.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 08:10 AM

There is a reason why the Panavision logo incorporates different aspect ratios:

Posted Image
-Jay

Forum Nav Content I Follow