What's new

Ads in front of movies..... (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
You know what's even worse? Studies also show they are effective... so you combnie those two, we'll NEVER be rid of them.

Not that I mind, as long as the theaters can make a little money...

/puts on flame-retardant suit...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

If this is what they're talking about, showing ads in place of the inane slide shows while people are arriving and finding seats, I don't mind that.

What I don't appreciate is being force-fed commercial ads after the lights are off and it's showtime.

I think there's a difference and I'm not sure this article is drawing the distinction.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And rightly so. I'm sick of the constant barrage of advertising on TV. It pisses me off that, increasingly, I'm paying cable charges for the privilege of being assaulted by ads. I thought I was paying for actual content, but judging from the ever increasing amount of television advertising, I'm actually paying to be a captive audience for advertisers.

It really pisses me off when I go to a theatre, pay their ridiculous admittance prices, and then have to sit there and be assaulted by the same stupid advertising that was assaulting me on TV.

It appears the authors of this study only kept the responses that supported the conclusion they wanted to reach.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator

could i correct those two paragraphs?
a study released on tuesday showed that two-thirds of moviegoers do not have any idea of what it is that is being shoved down their throats. among younger fans, who are the most ignorant of movie goers, the percentage rose to 70% of those who have no idea that the ads start at the movie starting time being tacked onto everything else they have to watch too, making their stay in the theater longer

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
if they showed the ads before the scheduled start of the movie...i'd be fine with that, but it's not the case.
BTW. i am in that 12-24 demographic, and i am very much against pre-movie anything. commercials are horrible with their made for tv sound and lame premises. and trailers show way too much, i just want to know who directs, who wrote, who produced, whos in it. the kind of trailers i like are the ones shown for the original ALIEN.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the ads. I don't mind seeing good ads, but mediocre ones or blown up tv ads piss me off. In summary Powerade matrix ads are okay, but those Body Fantasies ones they were showing a few months ago are not.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

From my experience, few people in that age group go to the theater to see the film anyway. They're only there to goof with friends, make snide remarks at the on-screen action, and laugh at each other's inane jokes. Or, if they're a couple on a date, to make out.

So it's unsurprising that 70% of them don't mind a less than stellar film presentation. The film is secondary to their socializing or smooching.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Most of the theaters near me are Regal Cinemas branches. They've got this new thing called "The Twenty." It's 20 minutes of advertising, mostly in four five minute infomericals, that starts 20 minutes before the time that the movie is scheduled to start. It's mildly entertaining, not terribly annoying, but most importantly, the trailers start rolling at the time printed on your ticket.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
too bad I wasnt in the sample....

If I see the "Can I get a Cheeseburger", "Coca-Cola Shor-films", Marine climbing the mountain MI:2 style, Craig Kilborn ad.. anymore I am going to scream.

Oh yeah, and throw in moviephone and the one with the jackass on a motorcycle who cuts off the couple on a date, or is that the same ad.

Oh I could go on, but instead I have to work...

-- Matt

Jeremy:L

Agent
I wouldn't necessarily mind if they used it to offset cheaper ticket prices. But with ticket prices going up a dollar a year it seems (they're now $9-10 in some theaters here), it's just rediculous!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member

Amen Malcolm.

Let's just consider WHO did this study. Do any of us think it was so consumer group organized by people like us? Doubtful. We may hate the ads but we still wouldn't pay to run such a campaign.

Who does have a financial interest in it? Theaters. So if theaters wanted to justify running ads, or marketing companies that work to supply those ads wanted to justify their reason for being, then they might run such market research.

And if that's who did it, you can just imagine the skewed language of the questions. What Malcolm touched on points it out all too clearly to me...why would you even ASK about how the slide show ads compare to the wholly different (and not mutually exclusive either) film-ads? One reason would be to get a favorable response, which you would be almost certain to get.

Did anyone ask this question I wonder..."If you had a CHOICE between seeing and not seeing the ads, which would you pick?"

Finally, the idea that no one complains is stupid. Why else would some theaters already be making policies to cut back on the commercials? And wasn't it Disney who had at least one film for which no commercials were even allowed to be run? Someone started a thread on that subject about a month ago.

Cripes, the fact that the study was EVEN DONE tells you that someone, somewhere was complaining.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor

That, I would really have no problem with. It'd be more entertaining than the boring ad slides they show here. I don't want to see anything other than a few trailers and the film once the scheduled time starts. I have a major problem with watching 5-10 minutes worth of ads once the lights go down. Which is what they do here.

It was far worse when I went to Paris a couple years ago. They literally show 30 minutes of comercials before the movie starts. Intermixed was one or two movie previews.

Can some people from other countries chime in and tell us what they have to deal with?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I just saw a newspaper ad from Century Theatres saying "No TV Commercials- It's All About The Movies!"
While that company hasn't exactly had a clean record in the past, they just earned a LOT of respect from me.
Studies would probably show the average moviegoer doesn't mind scratched prints either.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's a broad generalization to make, and an incorrect one since the majority of movie-goers are inside that demographic, myself included, and it's typically only one small group of rotten eggs. There are inconsiderate assholes in their thirties, forties and fifties that do the same thing.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm thirty and I don't mind the ads. I understand why they are there and see them as a necessary "evil".

Revenue from ticket prices are front loaded, with sometimes as much as 100% of the ticket prices going back to the studio. Then there's a sliding scale back to the theaters. The second week they get a little more, the third week a little more of the cut and so on. However, with these 3,000+ location openings, realistically putting movies on as many as 6,000 actual screens the movie burns out in three weeks giving thetaters very little of the actual ticket revenue. Typically concession made up the gap but with these movies playing so big so quickly for so short a time it just isn't enough, so they've started selling advertisements. Makes sense to me.

If they are what's needed to keep theaters in business so I have them to go to (no home theater in the world can match the magic of a night at the movies) I'll put up with them. I mean, it's not like they're brainwashing me or anything and I don't feel like anything is being forced upon me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks