What's new

My wife wants a Bose Wave Radio (1 Viewer)

My wife heard a Bose Wave Radio at a friend's house and now she says she can't live without one. My opinion of Bose products is they are overpriced and their quality can be replicated at much less cost.

I've looked at the Cambridge Soundworks Radio CD 740. This retails for $300 (as compared to $500 for the Bose Wave Radio).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

gregD

Second Unit
No alternative suugestion... and I've not compared the two mentioned... but I've heard the Cambridge, and recommended it for a couple of friends who love it... good sound, solid value.

JackS

Supporting Actor
No experience with the Bose but someone on this forum a couple of years ago stopped to pick up a Wave for his office. Browsing a little before buying, checked out a Sharp (or equivilent) mini system for $99. His impression was they both sounded the same. His reasoning- Buy the Sharp even though the quality may be lower and junk the mini system on a yearly basis if need be. At $99 he could do this for four and a half years when compared to the price of the Bose. If intended for use in a main room, the extra money for the Bose may be justified since it at least imparts a lot more class than a mini system.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I bought my wife the Bose Wave Radio CD a couple of years ago and it's worked flawlessly. For what it is, a glorified clock radio, it does have decent sound. It made her happy and opened the door to new Denon components for me :D

Mort (who believes that there's always trade-offs in life and that it's especially nice to come out on top in the trading department)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The Boston Acoustics radio has been very well reviewed but it has no CD player, nor is it stereo. I would choose it over the Bose (partly out of principle, but mostly because it's a lot less expensive) unless I wanted the CD, then I'd go with the Cambridge Soundworks radio. IMO.

StephenHa

Second Unit
I've heard both tha cambrige sounds better to me, I usually refer customers to the jvc micro system at $199 that sound much like the bose

SimiA

Second Unit
I'm going with Mort on this one.
Never fails to make the wife happy, and who knows what benefits you may reap down the road.
A few $$ now, for what's behind door # 3!
Just a thought.
Vb

Well, she wants a radio and CD player for the kitchen. I'm not wild about the idea because she tends to burn dinner when she listens to music. Nevertheless, like Mort pointed out, I may well be able to parlay this into a new 5-channel amp.

Sounds like the Cambridge Soundworks Radio CD is the one to investigate further.

Thanks.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
After auditioning both, I'd choose the Cambridge over the Bose. Both are priced higher than they should be for what they are, but you're paying a higher premium for the Bose simply because it has 'Bose' stamped on it! The Cambridge is the far better deal of the two in my opinion. Other's may vary!

SimiA

Second Unit
Ya know, all that counts...is your wife happy?!?!????
Oh, and is she "not" going to burn the food???:D :D
Vb

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I have heard very good things about the Tivoli Audio clock/radio with an optional cd player, second speaker unit, and subwoofer. But the price is higher than what you are looking at if you add all the optional components. But well worth checking out (plus it looks a heck of a lot better than the other options I have seen discussed on this thread--in my opinion only).

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have this arguement all the time with my GF......

GF: I want a new computer.

Me: I'm not stopping you, go buy one.

Why is it wives and girlfriends only seem to think that stuff magically appears when they tell their better halves to get it. You think they'd have learned by now most stores accept women customers.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Does the term "She who must be obeyed" have any gravitas in your household??????

Seriously, I have had the radio-only version for a while (got it free with a Diner's Club promotion). Sure, it works fine, but the SQ is not really all that great.

For a long time I used it at my desk with a CD player connected, or jacked in the output of my PC. I tired of the fact that there is really no stereo effect, and the low end just was not there.

At some point, I needed a new pair of PC speakers, so I bought a cheap ($59...honest) pair of Creative Labs speakers (with seperate sub).

No lie....for what I paid these, they sound ridiculously good, and they embarrass the Wave, which is now being used as a very expensive clock.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Bose basher (just bought a pair of QuietZone2 headphones that I really like inspight of the high cost). I just think you can do better than a Wave at 1/3 the cost.

Now, if your wife is interested in a gently used Wave, currently being used as a clock......

BGL

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry your wife wants a bose. There are really lots of really nice micro-systems out there from Denon, Yamaha and others for the same money, albeit they are not 1 piece.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
HOLY CHRIST! I was just watching TV and saw the wave radio on the shopping channel for $659 Canadian... I didn't know they were that much. Thats insane!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks