Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What albums would you like to see be released in a surround hi-res format?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   RobertWW

RobertWW

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 06:25 PM

This has probably already been done, but here goes anyway. List some albums you'd like to hear in a 5.1 format. It doesn't matter what, but try and pick albums that you'd think would be befitting to surround sound. My pics (just the ones I can think of right now): The Police - Ghost in the Machine The Beatles - Abbey Road/Sgt. Pepper/White Album Nirvana - In Utero Frank Zappa - Either some early jazz stuff or late instrumental stuff. So far all we've gotten is his late 70's rock stuff. They Might Be Giants - Flood/Lincoln/Apollo 18 The Doors - All the other albums Melvins - Absolutely anything David Bowie - Some more of his earlier stuff. Pink Floyd - Animals/Wish You Were Here/The Wall Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk/Spotlight Kid/Clear Spot/Trout Mask Replica Black Flag - The Process of Weeding Out

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 07:17 PM

Nirvana - Nevermind/Bleach/In Utero Metallica - Ride The Lightning/Master Of Puppets/...And Justice For All Fear Factory - Demanufacture/Obsolete Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction Meshuggah - Chaoshpere/Nothing Slayer - Reign In Blood/South Of Heaven/Seasons In The Abyss AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap/High Voltage/Highway To Hell/Back In Black Slipknot - Slipknot
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Todd_B

Todd_B

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 01:01 AM

Here's a great thread over our top 3 albums we would like to see..

Todd B
Darmok and Jilad, at Tanagra.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 05:02 AM

anything by: Radiohead NIN Pink Floyd 70's and 90's Bowie Talking Heads Depeche Mode New Order Pixies Morphine Ministry also: Primal Scream-Evil Heat and Xtrmntr Meat Beat Manifesto-subliminal sandwhich Who-Who's next cooper temple clause marilyn manson-antichrist superstar Metallica-ride the lightning, master of puppets, justice(if they fixed all the messed up stuff in the original)

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 05:11 AM

emerson,lake and palmer welcome back my friends to the show that never ends....deep purple made in japan...king crimson in the court of the crimson king and in the wake of poseidon..manfred mann's earth band the roaring silence...foghat live...ted nugent double live gonzo...to name a few

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 07:22 AM

TOOL

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 07:35 AM

Talking Heads are apparently on the way and in the can meaning finished. I would like to get the entire Pink Floyd catalog. Oingo Boingo might be fun in 5.1.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 07:56 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tool. That would be awesome too.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 08:02 AM

Lee, I would like to hear some Oingo Boingo, have you seen the farewell DVD, its a really good live performance, unfortunately it is in PL only, no 5.1, hoping they revisiit it sometime?

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 10:33 AM

I have not seen the farewell DVD but these guys were definitely ahead of their time. Look at the success that Danny Elfman has had on soundtracks. They had a lot of talent.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveDickey

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 10:34 AM

Talking Heads are coming to hi-rez? That's terrific! Lee, do you know which album(s)? Where did you hear about it? I'd like to check out the info. Tks, Dave Yaz would also be welcome in a surround format...

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 02:22 PM

Anything from Dream Theater or Queensryche. But only if it wasn't mastered in the gimmicky fashion of so many multi-channel efforts. Actually, the hi res aspect is more appealing to me. I just wouldn't want to here guitar licks or drum rolls from over my shoulder. Posted Image
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 02:43 PM

QUADROPHENIA CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 03:38 PM

The entire back catalog of Pink Floyd. But I'll settle for Wish You Were Here, Echoes, The Wall and Animals first, in that order. Also, more Queen.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 10:58 PM

Rush 2112

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 12:44 AM

Soundgarden: Superunknown Live: Throwing Copper Metallica: RTL Blues Traveler: Four Any Pearl Jam TOOL would be interesting enough to buy. Edit: Maybe Our Lady Peace too. If anybody has seen any of these discs let me know! It's hard to keep track of this un-publicized market.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   John Wes

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 02:27 AM

Too many to list..... Besides many above... Ten Years After, A Space In Time Robin Trower...Bridge of Sighs Miles Davis...Bitches Brew.. Of the top of my head.. Now I'm talking HiRez and not surround sound.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 02:38 AM

Lee, if you Danny Elfman, you should definitely check it out, even rent it, its a pretty lengthy concert(over 2 hours) as well as bonus materials on 2 discs, recorded on Halloween 1995, their last live performance, and it was a pretty big stage show and well recorded, as i said, unfortunately no 5.1. Posted Image

farewell dvd at amazon

Dave,
Remain in Light is mentioned in this interview.
jerry harrison

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 11:20 AM

AFAIC, surround music was made for PF.

Good call on Yaz...I second that. I almost forgot about those guys. Upstairs At Eric's is one of my faves.

Anything by Tool would be welcomed.

I would also love to hear some Dave Matthews Band in surround other than a live DVD.

My #1 request would have to be Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream". That would be killer! Posted Image
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 06:29 PM

Anything from Stereolab

Portishead's Dummy

Massive Attack's Mezzazine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users