Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Got Man On Fire early

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim_E

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 10:06 AM

Just thought I'd drop in a little recommendation for the upcoming release of Man on Fire which I managed to get hold of this week. It's a good looking transfer on my set-up and has a nice DTS mix. More importantly it's a good movie - some of the editing and in particular the use of subtitles (thank god not player generated - it would have ruined the effect) is very reminiscent of Tony Scott's BMW film.

The disc isn't exactly loaded with extras but does have two commentaries, the first of which with Tony Scott was not originally advertised by the press release I believe, and it was a nice surprise to see it included as I enjoy listening to anything the Scott brothers have to say!

Anyway - hope everyone who makes the purchase enjoys the movie.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 04 2004 - 12:05 PM

Thanks, mate. I think the Scott Bros. give some of the best commentary I've heard.

Cheers,
-p

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 12:58 PM

For everyone's information, there is supposed to be a special edition of Man On Fire coming in the months after this disc's release.
-Jay

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 12:11 AM

We have a full review of the US September DVD release of Tony Scott's excellent Man On Fire here.

Quote:
Snippet:
Yet another great movie that you will get to see on Region 1 DVD before it graces UK cinemas, this latest endeavour by Denzil Washington sees another tour de force performance perfectly suited to a thoroughly entertaining revenge movie which actually relies more on character than action, but isn’t lacking the latter.

The DVD has a superb transfer of benchmark quality, and similarly exemplary 5.1 mixes, both Dolby and DTS. Unfortunately it is shamefully lacking in the extras department, apart from a couple of relatively decent commentaries. Still, that is a minor niggle for an otherwise must-own set.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 01:17 AM

Chris,

Excellent review for MOF. I missed this one at the cineplex so I'm really looking forward to checking this one out on my setup. So glad the A/V portion reviewed so well!

later
Troy

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 02:01 AM

Any word on the 1987 version?

It was on cable the other day... never even knew it existed. Kind of like the Bourne Identity miniseries.

CDE,

CS

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 02:49 AM

Quote:
For everyone's information, there is supposed to be a special edition of Man On Fire coming in the months after this disc's release.

This is the first I've heard of this. Source?

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 04:01 AM

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of this. Source?

I believe it was actually someone here on HTF who mentioned that he had heard through a source that a SE was in the works. Regardless, I'm gonna hold off a while just in case, and because this disc is severly lacking in features.
-Jay

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 05:01 AM

There IS an SE coming. When, I don't know; I'd guess in a few months.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
There IS an SE coming. When, I don't know; I'd guess in a few months.

Oh. Well, gee. That's all you needed to say.

Now I believe you.

Posted Image

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 07:21 AM

Believe me or don't believe me. That's your prerogative. I heard it from a source directly connected to the DVD production and mentioned it only to save some people from buying this twice.

If you've been paying attention, you'd know that Fox has started double-dipping with their releases over the past few months without advance warning (unlike Sony with the extended cut of Hellboy)-- the "unrated" Club Dread being one of these.

But by all means, buy this twice if you think I'm lying.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 17 2004 - 08:15 AM

I seem to recall Bill mentioning the later MOF SE at The Bits, but I couldn't find the blurb at the site after an admittedly cursory look . . . -p

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 08:57 AM

This is one title that I will gladly double-dip on Posted Image

I've seen this film 4 times in the theater and I think it could very well have become my favorite movie of all time.

September 14th can't come fast enough. Neither can the 21st (for Star Wars, of course)

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow