What's new

What's the best way to approach the ladies? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
If there where any ladies on this group, I'd ask them the question, but as it is, I'll settle for the guys opinion here :)..

For anyone who's been down the Jersey Shore, you know the Seaside Heights Boardwalk. Evey other day, I'll take a walk from my town, down to the end and back. I'll see a few cute ladies along the way who look my age and look like my type, but I'm always to shy to approach one of them. Plus you never know if a boyfriend is nearby lying around on the beach.

What's the best way to approach a woman you've never met? I know someone would never appraoch me, as I don't really have looks on my side. While I'm not ugly by any means, I'm also not Mr.Muscle man who'd go around walking with his shirt off, either. And at 240 pounds, I doubt any lady would approach me first, so it seems I need to take the innitiative.. So any tips are helpfull..

Sometimes I get tired of this single life :)
Thanks

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Stage a purse snatching. You'll need one female and one male friend.

Sprint down your partner and let him sock you a few times. Roll around a lot and really fight for that purse. Jog back to your lady friend and return her purse.

Then take your pick of any female who witnessed the ordeal.

Works every time.

Eye of the tiger.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I can’t beat Zen for creativity and there is much to be said for money—but:

Have you tried just smiling and saying something innocuous like ‘Hi, nice day we are having.’

Now true, you won’t get any marks here for originality, but if a woman is open to conversation this works OK and lessens the chance of outright rude rejection that you might get when approaching someone in a bar with ‘what’s your sign?’

After all you are outdoors and it is perfectly natural to exchange pleasantries with perfect strangers as you pass each other on the boardwalk.

Now most of this will lead nowhere, but you don’t need 100% positive responses. Just a few—just don’t rush idle conservation into being more than it is. It a woman is available and interested, she will let you know.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Hey, it works for Nic Cage. :)

How old are you, Neil? Now that I'm an old fart, I can offer the comforting facts that the craving for female abuse companionship will fade with time and that most of them are way over-rated anyway.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Modify the old asking for s*x trick. Ask if they want to go for a drink. Odds are in your favour as 1 out of n women will say yes. :D

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
The smaller the n is, the better your changes are. Of course that n depends on looks, both yours and theirs. Everyone knows how you can have better odds in this game, right?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
How old are you, Neil?>>

25. Not that old yet, But when I hear that some of my friends where already married a few years ago, it gets kind of depressing. That and they have less time to hang out with me than they did before :).

>> Now that I'm an old fart, I can offer the comforting facts that the craving for female abuse companionship will fade with time and that most of them are way over-rated anyway. >>

Heh, that could be the case, but as of right now, it's not for me :). I see my grandparents as a good example to follow. Married for 50 years with a big familly of kids and stil happy to this day. I hope I can be lucky enough to find that perfect someone :).

Oh, and someone else suggested asking them for a drink. It would have to be a sugar infected soft drink, as I don't drink beer or wine, so it may not be as appealing, heh.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Ok, we found your problem. A few drinks will drive the shyness away...(it works most of the time but I am just kidding, have to respect someone who doesn't touch alcohol). Then again, a litre of vodka will only drive the girls away. :)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
What age group are we talking? I'm going to assume early 20's.

EDIT-I see this has already been addressed. My advice still stands.

Be yourself and just try to make small-talk. I'd try to get a girl who is by herself since approaching a group of girls can be really tough. The girl may even prematurely dismiss you if she gets the vibe her friend(s) don't like you.

Maybe if you see a girl standing around, like standing on the railing of the boardwalk looking at the water, you can go and stand near her (5 feet away, something like). Then after a minute or two make a comment about the weather, the water, something like that. Just try to strike up a conversation and take it from there. She will probably still know you are trying to pick her up, so the more friendly and non-threating you make the whole thing, the better.

I've never tried to pick up girls before, so my advice is based solely on how I would want a guy to approach me.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

Or it could be a coffee, or a tea.

Or you could opt for the non-alcoholic drink while they go for the happy juice. Just 'cause you're not a drinker doesn't mean they aren't. :)

Moe.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Awkwardness in conversation I just remembered...

During highschool I knew I might be to shy to approach someone later on, so I picked out the top three girls I had an interest in, or thought might have a chance at asking for a date and decided to throw my chances to the wind.

So, I approached her when she was off in a corner, and looking for something complimenting to say, I said, "Gee, you look nice today..." I probably should have thought of a better opening line, as on this day, we where graduating, and we where all wearing the same graduation gown and blended in :). I got a nice smile and she walked away, heh.

I also take it it counts on if you finally get a girl to go on that first date, it counts on where you take them. My first two dates with a classmate where at a movie theater. Mighty Ducks and Captain Ron if memory serves. No more dates after that. The second girl I asked, I took her to an arcade, figuring it was a more open/fun enviroment. She didn't seem to interested. Guess that might have doomed the chance of a second date as well :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Don't believe the hype. That sort of old-fashioned, fairy tale romance isn't possible anymore.

I've watched it with my own eyes: the quintessential fairy tale couple (my cousin and her husband), college sweethearts, made for each other, seemingly perfect in every way. They marry, each establish solid careers, buy a nice home, have two kids, then divorce when the youngest is two. The ex-husband is now moved out of state with his young 18 YO girlfriend (he's 34) and refuses to pay any support for his two young boys even though it was his philandering that caused the divorce in the first place.

Obviously this scenario won't befall everyone. But there seem to be very few happily married couples these days. Most end in divorce or hold on by a thread in a perpetual state of bitterness.

You'll save yourself a lot of heartbreak and stress by staying single.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I've never tried to pick up girls before, so my advice is based solely on how I would want a guy to approach me. >>

THanks for the advice. I might have had a situation like this earlier today. Saw a bathing beauty head up off the beach and start to walk about a foot or two behind me. Didn't want to keep on looking back, deciding if I should say something, so I just kept on walking forward... Maby I should have smiled and see where it went from there, heh.

The other question should be,as someone brought up earlier, some of these girls look like they'd be out of my league. Once I show an intrest, hopefully they won't walk away outright :).

Oh, and to another poster, I wouldn't rush the marrying prospect. At most times, I'm quite happy living alone during the day. It would just be nice to have a special someone to do things with from time to time :).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

OK, I’ll be first:

Married for 34 years (30 of the happiest of my life ;))

While I am sure that marriage is not for everyone, it has worked very well for my wife and me. I’m still enchanted and sometimes have a hard time figuring out why she married me—but then there is no accounting for taste. :D

While I respect Julian’s view (and sadly realize that it is not inaccurate), I count it a very poor day, when I don’t see a girl or two who makes my heart beat a little faster.

Just talk to them Neil—it really is no big deal. I think that Leila is right when she says that they will know that you are trying to pick them up. This is actually a good thing, as you can have some optimism with just some conservation. Just don’t get discouraged when a few girls are not interested—I was just always happy that there were those who were. :)

And don’t think that conversation means romance. Let things proceed (or not) in a natural, unhurried manner.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Marriage is a 50/50 chance for everybody. I think the divorce rate has been 50% for a decade or two now, hasn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks