-

Photo
- - - - -

I fear for Happy Days

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#41 of 145 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Most of the time I'd love to have every episode (ODD COUPLE, where are you!!?? ) but I'm afraid that HAPPY DAYS is one rare exception where I'd only want the first couple of seasons with the "American Graffiti" style.

I have to agree with you here Joe! The Odd Couple is the best show Garry Marshall did from start to finish. Unlike Happy Days which started to lose its original charm when they went to a live audience, The Odd Couple stayed as good at the end of the series as it was in the beginning. I too wish it was out on DVD.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#42 of 145 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 10:45 AM

Well, since it was mentioned that the original music is included then I will purchase Happy Days: Season 1. BTW, I am one of the people who will purchase the seasons past season 3 cause I like all the Happy Days seasons. I have seen the episodes from season 1 up to season 11 & I like all of the seasons.

#43 of 145 Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 11:08 AM

hey, everyone, here's something to think about.

Some of the most entertaining episodes come from the "fonzie show"

#44 of 145 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,000 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 11:20 AM

Actually, when it comes to HAPPY DAYS I'm not 100% sure where I began disliking it. Weren't some of the first episodes where Fonzie moved upstairs still decent? I've forgotten...

#45 of 145 Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 01:49 PM

In spite of it all - cheesy writing, dumb catchphrases, pandering to the studio audience, Fonzie with superpowers, the mostly lame supporting cast, the Tuscaderos, bad musical numbers, those awful vacation episodes - I still watch this (selectively) in reruns and enjoy it. In fact, one of my faves - when the Cunninghams have dinner at Chachi's house - was from the post-Richie years (and won director Jerry Paris an Emmy nomination). But the last three seasons are mostly wretched, and even the brief return of Pat Morita couldn't help. I did like Richie's homecoming and the finale, though.

#46 of 145 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 05:56 PM

Here's my theory concerning what happened to older brother Chuck. One day, like the three astronauts in the "Twilight Zone" episode "And When The Sky Was Opened" he woke up one day and found no one remembered knowing him, and soon he had the sense that he "didn't belong" in this realm and so he just....disappeared from the universe and to paraphrase Rod Serling's ending from that episode, "Chuck Cunningham used to exist but he doesn't any longer."

Hey, why not? Posted Image

#47 of 145 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 06:51 PM

Quote:
I'd possibly pick them up until Richie left. The show was crap after that, IMHO.

I feel the same way as you do about this, in fact I was going to wait on this one but I might just pick it up release date now.

#48 of 145 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 04:48 AM

Leather Tuscadero Is My Muse

Quote:
Leather Tuscadero appeared in only a handful of episodes of Happy Days in 1977-1978, but I think about her all the time. I was just five when Leather strode into Arnold's diner. In my memory she's wearing a tight leather jumpsuit that zipped up the front and a silky scarf tied around her neck. You could almost hear every jaw in the joint drop. She was the only girl Fonzie ever considered his equal. You could see it in his eyes that he respected her more than those pontailed, poodle-skirted cheerleaders he led up to his apartment above the Cunningham's garage (but strangely she later put on a flouncy dress and shared a kiss with Ralph Malph). Even Joanie was in love with Leather. This was the first woman she'd met who was tough but nice, strong but feminine. None of the girls that Richie made out with on the living room couch oozed the kind of sexual strength that Leather did. Her friend Jenny Piccalo was just a silly tease. And Mrs. C would have looked pretty ridiculous rising a motorcycle in her full skirts and aprons. So Joanie hatched a plan to run away from home and join Leather's band, The Suedes (I'm sure she was talked out of it by her wuss brother). Leather was so much cooler than her sister Pinky, whose tough act always seemed so artificial. And Leather sang Elvis songs. As soon as Leather came to Milwaukee, you knew that a quiet town like that couldn't hold her, but when she left everyone was a little sad and heartbroken--life was going to be less exciting without her.

Suzi's episode of "Happy days":

-# 96- Fonzie: rock entrepreneur, part 1- 1977
Leather Tuscadero and the Suedes audition at Arnold's. Suzi plays "Cat size" and "All shook up"
-# 97- Fonzie: rock entrepreneur, part 2- 1977
Joanie wants to go on tour with the rock band. Suzi plays "Heartbreak hotel" and "Devilgate drive"
-# 105- Marion's misgivings - 1978
After a family friend leaves his wife for a younger woman, Marion thinks Howard might do the same thing. Suzi plays "I maybe too young"
-# 106- Richie almost dies - 1978
Richie is involved in a very serious accident with his new motorcycle. Suzi plays "Believe" (written by S.Quatro - L.Tuckey)
-# 114- Rules to date by - 1978
When Lori Beth is friendly to other guys, Richie becomes upset. Suzi plays "Johnny B goode"
-# 134- Stolen melodies - 1979
Richie and company and Leather Tuscadero audition for a musical talent show, and have their songs stolen from them by another band. Suzi plays "Moonlight love" and "Do the Fonzie"
-# 136- Marion fairy Godmother - 1979
Ralph Malph and Leather Tuscadero go to a military ball.
-# 139- Mork returns - 1979
Mork returns to Milwaukee to learn about relationships in the 1960s.A short clip of Leather kissing Ralph from #136 episode was shown in this one.

#49 of 145 Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted August 05 2004 - 07:34 AM

Anyone else notice how when they went to a studio audience, Howard Cunningham's entire personality changed? This is most glaring in the episode "Fonzie's Getting Married," the only "live" episode in season 2. I can understand the exaggerated acting style for the benefit of the studio audience (especially those in the 'cheap seats') but he transofrmed into this d of reserved "Father Knows Best" patriarch into a loud, manic nut! ....at least if my memory serves me correctly.

#50 of 145 R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 08:27 AM

The real Leather Tuscadero, believe it or not, is a grandmother in her mid-50s now ...

Time sure does fly ...

#51 of 145 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 08:50 AM

Which Paramount logo is on the end of these episodes?

#52 of 145 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 08:58 AM

Quote:
Which Paramount logo is on the end of these episodes?

The one with the music that goes: tan tan tan TAN TAN TAN TANTADAN

Not the more recent:

TA tada ta TA TA TAAAAA

#53 of 145 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 09:31 AM

So, it isn't a Viacom CGI logo, but an earlier Gulf/Western?

#54 of 145 Louis_P

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 09:35 AM

I read a review for this set on dvdfile.com and seems the transfer on it is pretty bad.Posted Image

Video: How Does The Disc Look?

The good news is, there is a picture. The bad news is, it's not a very good picture. Presented in its original TV-friendly aspect ratio of 4:3 full screen, Happy Days: The Complete First Season does not seem to have been cleaned up at all by Paramount. The picture is a bit dull, like watching a film where the projector's bulb isn't set high enough. Blacks are not embarrassing, but they're not particularly dense and do show some noise. Colors are serviceable. Most hues can be identified, but they're not very vibrant. Detail is average (to be generous) and occasional specks can be seen. In all, good enough for undiscriminating viewers, but pretty blah for the rest of us.

http://dvdfile.com/s....pydays_s1.html

#55 of 145 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 09:54 AM

Interesting to read that bad review, because this review is pretty positive:

Paramount has done a great job with the video and audio quality of the episodes. There is occasionally some grainy pictures, but for the most part the video presented in full screen (1.33.1) is excellent. These prints are certainly better then you would see on TV Land or on a local channel and the show has held up well over the last 30 years.

http://www.sitcomson....dvdreview.html

So...Who do we believe?

#56 of 145 Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 09:57 AM

Well, I don't believe that because on Sitcomsonline review they make the video quality sound superior!

#57 of 145 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 10:17 AM

So it is the original logo. Cool! However, Laverne and Shirley is not.....I hope HD bodes well for The Brady Bunch and the original logo is included there...so retro!

#58 of 145 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 11:48 AM

I would tend to believe the sitcomsonline review, if only because the dvdfile review seems to expect too much from a TV show from 1974. The point is that the film should look as good as it can look; they can't really make it look better than it actually is.

#59 of 145 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
I would tend to believe the sitcomsonline review, if only because the dvdfile review seems to expect too much from a TV show from 1974. The point is that the film should look as good as it can look; they can't really make it look better than it actually is.

Posted Image I'm much more inclined to believe a review that takes into account the age & origin of the source material.

#60 of 145 Louis_P

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 12:01 PM

I'm glad to hear that the transfer is not as bad as dvdfile.com says it is.So Posted Image up

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow