Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Missing Musicals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
166 replies to this topic

#1 of 167 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 05:40 AM

This was a good year for Musical film releases on DVD. There are still some on my list anyone know if they are coming?

Both "Finian's Rainbow" & "Oh! What a Lovely War" were rumored for this year yet no sign of either.

"Bells are Ringing" "The Bandwagon" & "Damn Yankees" are rumored for 2005 from Warner Bros.

Others on my list: Can-Can & State Fair (Fox)
Li'l Abner, Darling Lili & On a Clear Day (Paramount)

The egyptian theater is screening a restored print of the 1973 disaster "Lost Horizon" leading me to believe a DVD may be on the way (Columbia did the same thing with "1776")

Joe Capps any word on any of these?

Both "Seven Brides for Seven Bros" & "That's Entertainment" Are scheduled for October

#2 of 167 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 06:01 AM

All the Rodgers & Hammersteins from Fox need remastering desperately. They're unwatchable in their present state (especially Oklahoma!, pardon the pun.)

#3 of 167 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 06:17 AM

I'd like to see both versions of "Oklahoma!" in a SE two or three disc package.

#4 of 167 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 06:33 AM

i agree wholeheartedly about Oklahoma!
i would love to have that movie in my collection (but refuse to buy the current dvd- i broke down for the current Carosuel and regreted it).

i'm surprised we haven't seen Swing Time yet- or even Top Hat which was supposed to be the first F&G movie to make it out.

#5 of 167 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
Others on my list: Can-Can & State Fair (Fox)

State Fair has been available on a Fox DVD for a few years now. It's one of the R&H titles that, as Mark pointed out, needs a re-do.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#6 of 167 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 06:53 AM

I was referring to the 1962 Ann-Margret version of "State Fair"

#7 of 167 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 07:19 AM

One of the actual R&H set isn't on DVD at all, "Flower Drum Song."

#8 of 167 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the 1962 Ann-Margret version of "State Fair"

Ah, never mind.
Randy A. Salas

#9 of 167 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 09:24 AM

Peter Staddon has stated previously that reissues of the Fox musicals weren't imminent because it wouldn't be cost effective, but that Fox would continue to assess things as time went on. Or something like that.

Well, I hope they see their way clear to do these again soon. I have the current DVDs but don't have much desire to get them out and watch since they look so poor compared to all the other stuff being put out these days. Warner's previous Singin' in the Rain and upcoming 7 Brides reissues shows that they must think it's cost effective to put out good SE releases of these type of musicals. Although Warner may have deeper pockets than Fox, I think it's time for Fox to step up to the plate.

#10 of 167 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 11:45 AM

Easter Parade
A Song is Born
Get Back
Imagine: John Lennon
Top Hat
The Compleat Beatles

"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 167 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 12:06 PM

Don't forget Summer Stock. I really would like to see "Daddy Long Legs" with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron.

I have this on laser and it still looks better than some new dvd releases. And it's widescreen.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#12 of 167 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 12:28 PM

In fairness to Fox, all the R and H musicals got thx transfers for laser and the thx people did the best they could with the material. Fox transferred Oklahome from 70mm and CArousel and King and I from 55mm and these transfers cost Fox a fortune. I can't blame them for not wanting to redo them as they could spend a lot of money and get nothing better for their cash.
Greg M is correct. There are a lot of fun musicals that have not even been touched. A few monthsw ago the R and H website told folks to contact Universal about Flower Drum Song as the R and H people would like to see it out. I too would love the Ann Margret State Fair.
Universal is releasintg their first set of Deanna Durbin musicals next week. I hope they do more.
Warners - Where are those great Doris Day - Gordon Macrae musicals?
Would also like the gordon Macrae Desert Song.
Also need much more of the Jane Powell musicals, and Words and Music, Till the Clouds Roll By, Jupieters Darling, Deep in my Heart Dear, Gigi special edition.
Fox - hoa bout more 50s scope stereo musicals - Daddy Long Legs, mardi Gras, April Love, The Best Things in Life are free.
Fox - some forties stuff - Centenial Summer, Whre do We Go From Here, Dolly Sisters, all those Betty Grable and Alice Faye musicals?
Columbia - where is My Sister Eileen and (god help us) Lost Horizon?
Universal - has released a bunch of forties and thirties Paramount Bing Crosby musicals - good - but there are many more never on tv and not home vid at all. Get them out.

#13 of 167 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 01:41 PM

I think (and this is pure speculation on my part) it's possible that Fox may do something with their R&H titles next year.

See this link which shows restoration activity on the CinemaScope 55 duo:

http://www.filmimagi.....jsp?id=26307#

#14 of 167 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 02:19 PM

THREE FOR THE SHOW (LBX): Betty Grable and Jack Lemmon
LADY IN THE DARK--if they can clear the rights from Kitty Carlisle (Moss Hart estate)
DIXIE (Bing Crosby Technicolor)
INCENDIARY BLONDE (Betty Hutton as Texas Guinan)
SOMEBODY LOVES ME (Betty Hutton as Blossom Seeley)
DuBARRY WAS A LADY and BEST FOOT FORWARD
SUMMER HOLIDAY (a Mickey Rooney remake of "Ah! Wildeness," beautifully staged by Rouben Mamoulian)
CALL ME MISTER (DAILEY, Grable, Danny Thomas, Bobby Short; choreography by Busby Berkley)
THAT LADY IN ERMINE with Grable directed by Otto Preminger when Lubitsch passed away.
MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS (Dan Dailey and Cyd Charisse)
In the days of laserdiscs, MGM used to release double features discs (e.g., ATHENA and SUMMER HOLIDAY, GIVE A GIRL A BREAK and I LOVE MELVIN).
Charles Hoyt

#15 of 167 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,098 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 02:58 PM

This may have been mentioned (it certainly has been elsewhere) but THE PIRATE is definitely at the top of my most wanted list. This is followed by the previoulsy mentioned BAND WAGON and please please please give us DAMN YANKEES...my vhs tape is disgusting but it's all I've got!

My mouth waters at the thought of how well Warner will present these.

#16 of 167 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 05:15 PM

Quote:
Universal is releasintg their first set of Deanna Durbin musicals next week.

The Durbin set actually is available now. It came out Tuesday.
Randy A. Salas

#17 of 167 OFFLINE   TedD

TedD

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 01:01 AM

Quote:
In fairness to Fox, all the R and H musicals got thx transfers for laser and the thx people did the best they could with the material. Fox transferred Oklahome from 70mm and CArousel and King and I from 55mm and these transfers cost Fox a fortune

Sorry, I have to take exception with this statement.

Sure, Fox blew a bundle on substandard, mostly non-anamorphic, transfers of every R&H non-1.33:1 title in their library. They should have refused to accept the inferior product and made whoever did these transfers do them over until they were done correctly.

I don't think I have to remind many here that THX certification has been almost totally worthless in the past, with some THX certified titles scraping the bottom of the barrel in quality. (The original "Highlander", anyone?)

All of these titles have serious problems, with most of the problems (except maybe Oklahoma's in and out of focus issue) occurring in the transfer/authoring process. Excessive EE and lack of detail don't come from the source elements. They come from a lack of skills and/or visual acuity and/or a don't give a damn attitude on the part of the people performing the transfer and authoring process.

While the Telecine systems used to perform these transfers may have been "state of the art" 5 years ago, they also probably were seriously lacking in the ability to perform HD transfers at the time.

Quote:
I can't blame them for not wanting to redo them as they could spend a lot of money and get nothing better for their cash.

Here, I have to seriously disagree with you. I am sure they could get a lot better results by having these titles re-transferred on state of the art telecine systems and remastered using the latest authoring techniques and systems. These new HD masters could also be used for future HD releases.

Just my $.02

Ted

#18 of 167 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,715 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 01:04 AM

How about BUGSY MALONE? (Don't hit me.)
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#19 of 167 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 04 2004 - 01:37 AM

If they do have Hi Def masters they should at least transfer them to anamorphic rather then 1.33:1 standards for DVD. As far as Oklahoma! goes, the 70mm elements were/are not in the best of shape I have been led to believe. The Goldwyn Studios did a restoration job on them in the film domain in the 70s for a limited 70mm theatrical release (which I saw at the Egyptian in Hollywood). Color timing seemed to be off. A comparison of the Todd AO and CinemaScope versions does show a obvious difference in colors with the CS version having more saturated tones then the TAO. It's just a matter of re-doing the DVD mastering again to eliminate some of the EE and other artifacts I would think.

#20 of 167 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,356 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 04 2004 - 01:46 AM

The Student Prince with the voice of Mario Lanza.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow