What's new

Born on the Fourth of July special edition... (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have yet to own this title. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the previous release has a full bit-rate dts track. Wonder if this SE will as well.

Is the previous release anamorphic?

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
There's 2 releases already of this film.The dts one and the 2nd they added a commentary track.Both releases were non-anamorphic.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Outstanding! This is at the top of my "must-buy-but-wait-for-special-edition" list!

Best work Tom Cruise has ever done; one of the two or three best from Oliver Stone. Great, great movie.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The existing DVD ranks up there on the list of Earth's Worst Transfers. There are so many halos on it that I thought the whole movie took place on Cloud Nine.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I own the previous DTS version and while it is a pretty decent track, the transfer is horrible, even by early non anamorphic standards.

A new anamorphic transfer and DTS track are welcomed, and they will probably include the previous versions' commentary with Stone.

This is without a doubt Stone's best film and perhaps the best Vietnam film as well. Cruise has never doen better work (though he has does great work since) and he was overlooked for the Oscar that year. The film itself should have won for Best Picture, not to mention an Oscar for what is one of the best John William's scores.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have yet to see this film. Never really heard too much about it. The way you fella's are praising it I'll have to be in line the day it streets.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Is this the year of anamorphic transfers of previously non-anamorphic's or what? Someone must have heard that I can finally afford that widescreen TV this year!

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Excellent. Nice artwork too and it's simply titled "Special Edition". No "Coming Back From 'Nam In a Wheelchair Edition".

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
It seems many people haven't heard of it before. I think its the film that established Cruise as a serious actor (that along with Rain Man) and it got Stone his second Oscar as Director, although the film got robbed for many other categories that year, namely Picture, Score, cinematography, screenplay, and actor. To me, it was a much stronger film than Driving Miss Daisy, and just as good as the other war film that year, the very underrated (at least at that time) Glory. For some, its a difficult film to watch, dealing with subject material about neglected veterans and Vietnam. I think some were also tiring of Vietnam films too, since Platoon had come out three years earlier and Full Metal Jacket was coming out (although that film would also be sorely overlooked). Some may call it boring, but given that the film chronicles the life of Ron Kovic from his early high school days up til the one of the Democratic National Conventions. It is a bit long, but the pace is just given that much is shown about his experiences, from being a grunt in Vietnam, to a paralyzed veteran in a VA hospital, a shattered and haunted man attempting to adjust to life back home, a man lost in sex an alcohol in Mexico, and then finally a man reborn as an outspoken antiwar advocate.

Its still a powerful film nonetheless, and I believe it was on top of many critics top ten list. It took me a while to warm up to the film, having to deal with the subject matter, but I consider it to be the best film about not only Vietnam and its aftermath, but how people dealt with it and how those who fought both in Vietnam and America. I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. would be hard pressed to find a better film.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I looked at the supposed sepcs so far and it's nothing like the one rumored that was suppose to happen for the box set. I remember talks about 40 of deleted scenes, and a Documentary. Seems like if your going to do an older movie for a third time, get it right?
THanks

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
If I remember right, I heard rumors that Stone's original cut was close to 3 hours long, and was trimmed by almost 20-30 minutes. I think some scenes were from Kovic's growing up and high school days and some more scenes from when he returns from Vietnam, but I could be wrong. Can anyone comment on any deleted or alternate scenes?

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
For those that own the old non-anamorphic transfer: does the aspect ratio seem a bit much over 1: 2.35?
I know for sure that the original laserdisc was overmatted to 1: 2.50!

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, the previous DVDs were framed at 2.45:1. The Theatrical ratio as I recall was 2.39:1, but I'm sure the new anamorphic DVD will correct the problem and put it at the 2.35:1 ratio we are all familiar with. I was also suprised to learn that the current DTS version I own is full bit rate DTS. However, alogn with many of Universal early full bit rate DTS DVDs, they don't compare to their DD counterparts for the same title, nor do they hold up even close to todays standards (I will accept the fact that this was over 4 years ago in some cases). I wonder (but doubt) if the new one will use the old one or not. It older version is still pretty medicore, so I hope they correct it as well. I will settle for half bit rate (which we will no doubt get) as long as its a much better remastering.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
There's a lot I'm not happy about when it comes to Universal, but they're definitely doing great when it comes to upgrading previously non-anamorphic transfers. And as has been pointed out already, Born on the 4th of July reeeaaaally needs it. The old transfer is one of the worst I own. It doesn't look much better (if at all) than the VHS version I previously owned! This is a most welcome upgrade, and even though my October budget is already tapped out, I'll squeeze this one in somewhere.

Chris

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is its about time.:emoji_thumbsup:!

Now if I can just decent DVDs of The Doors and Nixon.....

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
dvdfile has more details-

-dolby 5.1
-DTS
-Stone commentary
-two featurettes
-trailer
-anamorphic (about friggin time!!!)

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...004/08_02.html

btw, everyone who hasn't seen this film needs to buy it. Among the best films of the 80s, in my opinion, up there with Raging Bull and Blade Runner. A massive, sprawling, segmented portrait of how war changed one man's life. The emotional impact is incredible. Rightly deserving of all the awards it got, though it should have received more.

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks