What's new

Disappointing news w/TVonDVD front (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
While this year has been an incredible and banner year for TV shows being released to dvd (many beyond my wildest dreams just one year ago), I have been mildly disappointed by some of the following recent announcements and non-announcements:

1) The strange Paramount delays that have affected some of my favorite and most anticipated dvds this year, such as the I LOVE LUCY SEASON 2 delay; the HOGAN’S HEROES delay (no explanation given); and now the ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW delay.

2) The Columbia Tristar delay of THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY (although this is lower on my list than most of the others).

3) The overall choices from Columbia Tristar. They are probably at the bottom of my list because of all the major companies they seem to be the least likely to delve deep into their archives and give us season sets of great shows like FATHER KNOWS BEST. Yet they seem to have no problem releasing more recent, excuse the term, “garbage”.

4) The lack of info from Fox concerning the other Irwin Allen products they own. I realize a recent thread concerning VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA was worded strongly, but I must admit I’m disappointed that we haven’t heard some news on this wonderful series from Mr. Staddon or someone at Fox.

5) Some of the recent WB announcements in their HB cartoon sets are a bit puzzling to me. I was fine with the Looney Toons sets as well as the FLINTSTONES, JETSONS, JQ, and SCOOBY DOO sets. But I find the recent announcements for JOSIE/PUSSYCATS and WACKY RACES strange. Not that they are bad picks, just ones that should have been left for later on, as there are more solid cartoons from the HB stable. On top of that, I was under the impression that when they released their TOM & JERRY set, it would be complete. But that is not the case. How long will we have to wait to have all those classics?

6) There are still many favorites of mine that I’m awaiting news on, such as PERRY MASON; THE FUGITIVE; LEAVE IT TO BEAVER (the passing mention from Universal’s booklet isn’t enough); THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN; FATHER KNOWS BEST; the IRWIN ALLEN SHOWS (especially Voyage); DAVEY & GOLIATH (sets that their website mentioned last year would be coming soon); more KROFFT shows; and many, many more.

Let me close by saying I’m not here to start flame wars. I’m appreciative of all we have seen this year. But I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else has been disappointed with any TVonDVD news or non-news this year.

Gary “really bummed with all the news about delays within the last week – especially TAGS and HOGAN” O.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
It seems like the biggest hurdle tv on dvd will have now is glut. The doors are wide open for any series to be collected but with the higher price points of multi disc sets, how long will it be before sales start to cannibalize one another?

I thinnk studios are looking more carefully to space these sets out, which is why we have these delays with no explanation.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I agree on some minor points, but a lot of it seems like nitpicking:

1.) Delays are a fact of life. When studios give a release date it's almost always understood that it could change at any given time. And then there are times in which rumors turn out to be true (in the case of Hogan's Heroes, I believe) and even though people from inside the studio might have confirmed the rumors, the studio has yet to officially announce the title. When TVShowsOnDVD.com is breaking a story like that, they are always very careful to make it clear that the studio has yet to make it official and that release dates are usually always tentative.

2.) This is probably because Columbia has forseen the opportunity to release this at a more marketable time -- maybe after Partridge fever has caught on when VH1's "In Search of the Partridge Family" airs this fall. Chalk it up to a case of what was discussed in the first response, that dates are always subject to change.

3.) When a studio is releasing so much of its TV product simultaneously, a lot of it is bound to not be to your liking. Rest assured, it is to someone's liking or it would not have found the shelf at your local Best Buy. If Columbia owns it, they're going to release it. Just be patient. I'm sure you can find more than your wallet can handle for the moment with all these releases coming our way!

4.) Give Fox some time. They are still reluctant to release their TV series that people aren't currently watching on TV right now. They had a bad experiences with Mary Tyler Moore and might be a little gunshy. But Lost In Space didn't last too long and it appears to be selling well enough to finish up the series on DVD. When that's over with, would I be shocked to see another Irwin Allen project in its stead? No. But I think a lot of it will have to do with how well Lost in Space does.

5.) I don't think Wacky Races is a strange pick at all. I loved that show and a ton of people on this board alone are with me on that one. And there are a lot of women/girls, at least, who fondly remember Josie and the Pussycats. I don't think Warner is going to leave you wanting by the time it's all said and done. I am very impressed with their commitment to create a special series for all their HB titles. And then there's the special series for the DC Comics titles. And then there's the Adult Swim collection. And then there's the excellent Looney Tunes collection(s). Tom & Jerry is apparently just going to be something you'll have to continue buying as part of a series. But don't fret: at least it's some of the finest product out there.

6.) Perry Mason, The Fugitive, and Leave it to Beaver. I'm sure we'll get them (and that mention in Universal's pamphlet is a huge sign, my friend). All of this just takes time. Hell, I thought we were going to have to wait A LOT longer for some of the stuff that we're getting (SCTV, Punky Brewster, Andy Griffith, Danny Thomas Show, etc.), but it's getting done like lightning. The next two years will probably go a long way toward emptying all the studio vaults. I can GUARANTEE you that Rhino is working right now to get more Krofft shows out on DVD. I'd bet money they're in the planning stages of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters right now.

And now my TWO concerns about TV on DVD:

1.) What shows on DVD are losing money or not profitable enough to continue on with? Are they going to be able to finish up with what they've started? I'm talking about Columbia specifically -- like with "Barney Miller" (great show -- pretty quiet release). We already know that MTM is on the shelf at Fox after a season. Though we KNOW if this was a Columbia title, it'd probably be at least to the third season by now.

2.) How am I going to be able to afford all this? The answer is: I'm not. Until I get rich. So until then, I won't even try. But best of luck to David Lambert and the others.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
The only thing I'm really dissapointed about is not having Eerie Indiana released. The comlete series was supposed to come out last year and it did shortly and and only online. It was really odd. And then they pulled it and I haven't heard word of of it since. I hope Dave or Gord could shed more light on this if they know more but I assume like the rest of us their left in the dark without an answer. I despretly wanted this show on DVD and so knowing the complete series is on DVD somewhere and I unable to buy it maks me really sad.

john_hood

Grip
Eerie, Indiana was brilliant! I haven't seen the series since it aired on the UK's Channel Four in the early '90s! At least Dream On is coming this Autumn/Fall!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I think it all perspective here, obviously you are not getting the shows you like, but I am happy with what I am seeing out and coming soon. Delays may be a response to a crowded market, all of a sudden this boomed this summer and so many were announced that they need to take a step back and space these out a little better.As for Hanna Barabara, Wacky Races has been on my most wanted list for a while and it has a strong cult following. This is probably volume 1 in a three part series plan, as The Perils of Penelope Pitstop and Dastardly & Muttley in Their Flying Machines would be other popular volumes in this series. The trio has a nice cult that appeals to both the young and old and I think they realize that. Josie was pretty popular if you ask me and I would think them second only to Scooby in teen mystery cartoons. These choices are not totally obscure. I mean I wouold like Clue Club and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, but now we are stretching. I think The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan have a better chance than those, at least I hope so.
As for Krofft Land of the Lost Season 2 is coming and I believe I read about some others on this board.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If 2005 sees the release of Batman and Get Smart, I'll have to declare that TV on DVD is alive and well in the new year!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that there may be music clearance issues that are causing some of these delays. I know all the studios are frustrated with music licensing. It's not always a money issue either, it could be having the manpower to clear this stuff, or tracking down the rights holders.

Gord

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
It's been a good year for me TV wise, especially now that more Universal titles are on the way. I think the only disconcerting note is the lack of resolution for shows that could forever be stuck at one season only on DVD like MTM and Barney Miller.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
There will only be 2 box-sets of Tom & Jerry shorts to collect and as far as I'm concerned (LT not withstanding), the H-B Golden Collection DVD sets are just about the best things to come from Warner Bros in years - certainly in regards to animation!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ok, now for the record let me point out that I carefully couched my initial post in "calm" language. I specifically tried to come off in a non-ranting way.

I realize we all have our favorites, and many of mine have been released, especially this year. And I also realize delays are a part of life. I was just letting off a little steam due to the fact that within the space of just a few days three different shows I've been eagerly waiting for have been delayed, two of them till 2005!

I'm not at all convinced that all my favorites are going to be released eventually. While I've been pleasantly surprised with some releases this year of older series I like, that doesn't mean the studios are committed to getting all the older classics out. And I'll politely disagree with the thought that Universal's small mention of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER is "huge". Not at all, in my opinion. Companies have in the past, and will continue in the future, to scrap plans for certains series. Therefore I'm not at all certain we will see BEAVER or FATHER KNOWS BEST on dvd. It may happen, but I'd stop short of saying it's a sure thing or a done deal.

I'll also politely disagree on the selection of WACKY RACES and JOSIE by WB as the next logical cartoon releases from their vaults. Listen, I'm not blasting these cartoons. I grew up on them and I am thankful for their upcoming releases. But I don't believe they are the next most popular choices of Hanna Barbara series. But it isn't a big deal, and I'd hope people wouldn't take that as a personal attack on their "favorite". That's not my point.

Look, I'm happy with many of the selections, and I know music rights also will play a part in some of my favorites being released (THE WONDER YEARS being at the top of that list).

Gary "hope I'm wrong and some of you are right in that my old time favorites will all be released eventually, but I'm not so sure about that" O.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
One thing I'm not too enthralled with is having to purchase the entire "Make Room For Daddy" set in order to get the "TAGS" pilot episode. :frowning:

It'd be nice if Delta Video, or Madacy, or Shokus, or some smaller outfit like that would put the pilot on one of their el-cheapo 5-episode TAGS releases. That way, fans could get the pilot and only be set back about 8 clams.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

Yeah, they could if they want to get sued. The show is copyrighted, not PD like what those companies only release. They don't license shows, they only put out shows that have fallen into the public domain, which the Danny Thomas Show has not. Besides, MRFD is a classic series. It'll be a good purchase for you.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Funny coincidence (speaking of Andy G.) .... "MRFD" can be "Make Room For Daddy" or Andy Griffith's spin-off "Mayberry R.F.D.". :)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Gary OS, just out of curiosity, what Hanna Barbara series would you like to see next?

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I don't know about Gary but I'd like to see Yogi Bear, Quick Draw McGraw, Huckleberry Hound, Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus.

Gary makes a good point. There have been a lot of great releases but there are still so many classic shows that have not even been mentioned. Where are The Untouchables, Route 66, Get Smart, Mission Impossible, The Odd Couple, The Invaders, Mod Squad, Man from UNCLE, Patty Duke Show, Science Fiction Theatre, Superman, Batman, Donna Reed Show, Father Knows Best, Burns and Allen, Life of Riley, Hazel, Dennis the Menace, Dobie Gillis, Our Miss Brooks, Wild Wild West, Gunsmoke, Bonanza (not PD prints), Dragnet, Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, Flipper, Lassie, Wyatt Earp, Family Affair, My Three Sons, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Gomer Pyle, The Fugitive, Flying Nun, That Girl, Julia, Room 222, Love American Style? And probably about 100 more. And that's just from the 50s and 60s. C'mon, even something like the Brady Bunch, which I think is one of the worst shows ever, but for some reason has this amazing popularity and would sell massively, is not on the market yet. What gives? Do they really think all shows have the same buyers and that people wouldn't be able to keep up? Believe me, the Alias - Buffy crowd and I are not making the same purchases.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think you can divide DVD purchasers into 3 crowds:

Baby Boomers: More likely to buy the 50s and 60s shows and some early 70s.

Generation X: More likely to buy the 70s and 80s shows

Generation Y: More likely to buy the 90s and recent shows

Baby Boomers are now at the age where they are not spending so much income on things like this, but saving it for their children's educations and their retirements.

The other two are not that worried about that yet, so they would likely be spending more of their discretionary income on DVDs. And the market responds accordingly.

Ever hear the expression "absence makes the heart grow fonder"?

And furthermore, if they release some of them now, one will get faded, grainy prints slapped on to DVDs with no effort put into them. Wouldn't one rather wait for a quality release than a rush job? The condition of the original elements always plays a part in any DVD release, no matter the genre or era. Hell, Fotokem's website lists movies from the 80s under "restoration projects."

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That last paragraph says it all. I think that some of the series' are in better shape, and the studios are just getting out the ones that look ok now, while they start to work on the ones that need it.

We're all going to be so broke!

Glenn

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Exactly. How much restoration work would need to be done on shows from 1983 or beyond, as they are on low-fade film stock?

Although there will be a problem for some shows when HD comes about:

Starting in the 80s, they started editing them and finishing them on tape, and the difference between that is obvious (video-generated credits on a film-generated background give it away). And they were all finished on analog NTSC tape. Digital remastering is out of the question because it's not just a matter of putting a negative through a telecine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks