What's new

R2 16:9 releases (1 Viewer)

john_hood

Grip
The whole 16:9 issue is a curious one! From what I've gleamed Fox US issued a statement suggesting that it was never the creator's intention to screen Buffy in widescreen (from S4 onwards). However, the DP (Director of Photography) is clearly considering a 16:9 composition (with a caveat that most of the action takes place in a 4:3 safe zone).

On later seasons, of both Buffy and Angel, directors fully utilised the 16:9 frame, which played havoc with 4:3 formatting (pan and scanned).

Widescreen adoption has been faster in Europe due to a lack of confusing standards.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl

Where'd you get that info? It's true for Angel, but not for Buffy. That's why they're releasing Angel in WS in the US as well.

If you have season 7 of Buffy on DVD, check out "Showtime" on disc 3, go about 12 minutes into the episode and keep a close eye on Anya (particularly her lips) the whole time. It's awful.

Chris

john_hood

Grip
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you're saying in terms of JW's vision and, yes, at times there are issues whereby an actor (who would be off screen in 4:3) is walking with their mouth closed, but their dialogue can be clearly heard! Not unique to Buffy.

I should have clarified that the framing looks good (most of the time) in 16:9, but that (as you intimated) a creative decision was made that is biased towards a 4:3 presentation. Perhaps 14:9 would have been a 'better' halfway house? ;)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks