What's new

Make Room For Daddy, Season 5! (1 Viewer)

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
I just read on tvshowsondvd.com that they are releasing Make Room For Daddy, Season FIVE (before Seasons 1-4) since that was the most popular season of its 11 year run. Why oh why couldn't they have done that for the Mary Tyler Moore Show? Then it would have sold and we'd have the whole series by now!! :angry:

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
This is weird.

The only other time I can recall a later season of a television show preceding its first season would be for Challenge of the Superfriends.

Then there are special releases like Homicide: The Movie, but that wasn't a whole season.

Any other examples come to mind?

CDE,

CS

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Actually the reason is less goofy then one might think because this first season with Marjorie Lord was always the first season I saw in syndication during the 80s and 90s. Much in the same way that for decades "My Three Sons" was syndicated starting with season 5, the first CBS show.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Actually, I like the reasoning here. I've long wanted the best season of a show to be released first. Okay, which season is best can be fiercely debated, but there is common agreement for a lot of shows. I agree that this approach would have helped The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I hope that other shows will follow this approach.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
The fifth season is NOT the best season of MRFD. The first 3 seasons with Jean Hagen were the best. She left the show after season 3 and season 4 had him as a widower. Due to the large number of episodes, when the show went into syndication the first 4 seasons and last 2 seasons were excluded, making the syndication package up of seasons 5 thru 9. Not that it still wasn't a great show. It's just that because the early episodes have not re-aired in 40 years, other than a few PD airings on low power and religious stations, people are more familiar with the Marjorie Lord episodes. However, Jean Hagen had more fight to her and stood up to Danny better. But just like the My Three Sons, the more common episodes are not the best episodes, just better known.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of My Three Sons, I'm not out of my mind for recalling a time when Ernie was not one of Mr. Douglass' sons?

Of course, I also recall an episode with a young (as old as the oldest son at the time) Martin Sheen.

God bless you, Nick at Nite! And I mean OLD SCHOOL Nick at Nite! Alfred Hitchcock/Mr. Ed/Car 54 Nick at Nite!

Frikkin' showin Full House... grumble grumble...

CDE,

CS

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Earth: Final Conflict. Seasons 3, 4 &5 are available, but the first two are not. I believe that's another case where the earlier seasons are owned by a different company.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

It has more to do with Danny Thomas's longstanding decision (and now his estate) to keep seasons 1-4 out of circulation due to various financial and personal issues. The same applies to the first season of "The Joey Bishop Show".

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Like I said, Questar doesn't have the rights to those seasons--for whatever reason. Either way, again, it's not because of any perceived popularity of Season 5 that that season is the first coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks