What's new

Justice League Unlimited (1 Viewer)

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
The series kicked off at 8:30 EST tonight with "Initiation" (repeats Sunday at 5 EST) and I'm curious as to what the rest of you thought about it.

It was nice seeing Green Arrow and the multitudes of heroes assembled in, what appeared to be, the new "Watchtower." However, I'm not entirely sure if I bought Green Arrow as being the sole reluctant hero. Also, how likely is it that all of the heroes would agree to join the League and take direction from it?

While tonight's episode wasn't too bad for the 20-minute format, it felt a bit rushed to me. Perhaps the two-part episodes of old spoiled me.

De

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I think ever since Starcrossed, Hawkgirl leaving the League has open the door for other members. I'm sorry I missed it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Justice League is over. Either Warner or Cartoon network only usually want a certain amount of episodes of each show and then cancel them. This was a way by the producers to keep the show going. Change it just enough to be a different show.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I particularly enjoyed seeing "The Creeper" from Batman: Gotham Knights hanging out in the background of the JL.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
So who is it that turned Green Arrow's head at the end?;)

Fans of Justice League may want to watch the NASCAR races the weekend of August 21 & 22 from Michigan International Speedway, as several Ford drivers such as Kurt Busch and Mark Martin sport special promotional paint schemes featuring JL characters. My fav: the #21 of Ricky Rudd with Wonder Woman.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

That would be Black Canary. She and Green Arrow have had an on-again-off-again relationship for decades. If I remember correctly, they did meet in the pages of Justice League of America.

De

AlexanderS

Second Unit
As amazing as it was to see all the new characters I was really put off by the horrible title sequence and the subsequent guitar laced tirades the characters embarked on. And the CG watchtowers and javellin's didn't help either.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Agreed on the music part, the weaooooooowwwwwww!!! guitar sounds really cheapened everything. I'm just glad the series is continuing. Seems more of the same but on a bigger scale.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Main titles suck and big-time. The show itself was pretty good, very similar in feel to STAS.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought it was pretty good but didnt understand why they didnt call for more for help when fighting this big Robot thing.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I agree that the main title was derivative... kind of like it was something they forgot about at the last minute, so they included snippets of the first episode as filler. As opposed to the original Justice League opening titles that had a score & pretty good introduction material, this was very very weak.

On the other hand, what a rush it was to see all those DC characters onscreen! I mean, they paid homage to a lot of the lesser known characters (I think I ever saw a shot of Vibe there, as well as Booster Gold, Obsidian, The Question, Hawk & Dove, Rocket Red, Blue Devil, Hourman, Wildcat, Aztek, Crimson Fox, Elongated Man, The Atom, Waverider, Fire, The Creeper, and even The Ray!). I like the fact that they're doing the GA/Black Canary bit too! Oh, and I think that villain they were fighting is a new & updated version of Brimstone... :)

My main gripe though was they way in which they handled Captain Atom's character. The first slip was the voice talent - are they going to country farmboy or what? Then the whole "containment suit" issue comes into light, and I start wondering what the writers are smoking! I own all the DC Captain Atom issues (great series!), and that silver "suit" he's in is actually a coating of alien metal that he can make materialize over his body and gives him his powers. He's a human being, not "living energy", and that metal is supposed to be invulnerable... that it could have been torn how it was is a complete stretch with the character.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Dewitte,

Yup - I read Kingdom Come (have it in the other room in fact), and I remember that particular sequence. That's true of the character though - the same thing happened once in the original comic-book run for Captain Atom, where his supposedly impregnable armor is ruptured while he's in "Cap. Atom" form.

The issue with Starcrossed though is that character you're referring to is only associated in that he's male, and associated with Hawk Girl. He's just as likely to be that character as any other male Thanagarian of the species, given the way the writers had written them into the series (was his name even Katar Hal?).

In any event, it's only a minor complaint... it's not like Captain Atom's character is going to be a core member focus for the league anyway, so it's probably only a one-shot deal.

Moe.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dewitte,

What you said about Starcrossed is wrong. If you happen to pick up the dvd. They have a whole featurette discussing it.
They say how at first it was going to be Hawkman. But, DC objected and they changed it. And they are glad they did. Although, the guy they did use. His name is an anagram of Katar Hol (Hawkman). It was a very cool featurette. They interviewed a bunch of writers and even Alex Ross.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I found the tone of the show a bit like "Kingdom Come", especially when Supes gave that line about being "proactive".

Political commentary in JLU?

It seemed like most of the civilians/military were scared of the super powered League. It will be interesting if they explore this avenue more. I'm actually surprised Arrow didn't say something about not having powers to Bats.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Todd wrote in Post #17:

Season 2's "A Better World" (the Justice Lords episode) dealt with this a little bit.

De

DanielBH

Agent
I wasn't expecting to like the new incarnation of the Justice League animated series, but I must say it's been rather well done so far. The first episode was very energized; and they used their heads in having Green Arrow as a focal point. For me, at least, it kept the episode grounded; a much needed anchor in the chaos that was being thrown our way by the rest of the episode.

Last night's episode, "For the Man Who Has Everything" was also very well done; but that's not surprising to those of us who had read the Alan Moore story it is based upon. We knew it would be good if it was faithfully adapted; and the production team pulled it off in my opinion.

Having looked over the spoilers for the rest of the season, I'm quite looking forward to the rest. The series does have a different feel than the first two seasons, but I believe it's a "good" feel. And I believe it will only get better with each passing episode. After all, any production team needs a few episodes to work out the kinks on a new format.

A question too for any reading. Is it true that Cartoon Network has already committed to a season four of 13 more episodes? I seem to remember reading that Cartoon Network ordered 26 episodes of Unlimited (13 for season three and 13 for season four), but I can't find the article I read that in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks