What's new

Basic Home Networking Questions (1 Viewer)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
As an afterthought, I decided to wire my home for computer networking. My plan all along was to go with a wireless router however, I decided that I want the best of both worlds. I plan to purchase a Linksys Wireless G (http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=35&prid=601) router to hook up to my cable modem.

My question is this: I plan to hook everything up in my office. I have an idea of the following diagram:

OUTSIDE LINE > CABLE MODEM (VIA COAX)
CABLE MODEM > LINKSYS WIRELESS G ROUTER (VIA CAT5E)
ROUTER > DECORA 4 PORT WALLPLATE (VIA CAT5E PATCH CABLES)
DECORA 4 PORT WALLPLATE > DECORA 1 PORT WALLPLATE AT DESTINATION (CAT5E)

Can I come out of the router/4 port switch and go to a wallplate instead of the straight shot to the end location?

I have 1000’ feet of Cat5E cable from Home Depot (24/4) rated for in wall use. Cost was $54.00/roll. Is this appropriate?

Can anyone recommend a crimper/tool to put the connectors on and which connectors work best?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You certainly can! I networked my house virtually the same way you described, except I used a 6-port wall plate. The extra two were the incoming service feed from the cable company (made no sense to make that a separate drop), and another for basic telephone service. The remaining four were “outputs” to the various locations in the house – front, middle bedroom, etc. Each port was labeled.

The nice thing about this arrangement is that all the locations in the house that you might ever want service to are wired. Utilizing the jumper cables between the router and wall plate you can easily activate or de-activate the various rooms as your needs change.

I suggest using a low-voltage wall box, the kind with an open back. A regular enclosed electrical box gets pretty crowded with all those cables in it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks