Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Basic Home Networking Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted July 31 2004 - 11:03 AM

As an afterthought, I decided to wire my home for computer networking. My plan all along was to go with a wireless router however, I decided that I want the best of both worlds. I plan to purchase a Linksys Wireless G (http://www.linksys.c....id=35&prid=601) router to hook up to my cable modem.

My question is this: I plan to hook everything up in my office. I have an idea of the following diagram:

OUTSIDE LINE > CABLE MODEM (VIA COAX)
CABLE MODEM > LINKSYS WIRELESS G ROUTER (VIA CAT5E)
ROUTER > DECORA 4 PORT WALLPLATE (VIA CAT5E PATCH CABLES)
DECORA 4 PORT WALLPLATE > DECORA 1 PORT WALLPLATE AT DESTINATION (CAT5E)

Can I come out of the router/4 port switch and go to a wallplate instead of the straight shot to the end location?

I have 1000’ feet of Cat5E cable from Home Depot (24/4) rated for in wall use. Cost was $54.00/roll. Is this appropriate?

Can anyone recommend a crimper/tool to put the connectors on and which connectors work best?

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 2 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted July 31 2004 - 02:29 PM

Quote:
Can I come out of the router/4 port switch and go to a wallplate instead of the straight shot to the end location?
You certainly can! I networked my house virtually the same way you described, except I used a 6-port wall plate. The extra two were the incoming service feed from the cable company (made no sense to make that a separate drop), and another for basic telephone service. The remaining four were “outputs” to the various locations in the house – front, middle bedroom, etc. Each port was labeled.

The nice thing about this arrangement is that all the locations in the house that you might ever want service to are wired. Utilizing the jumper cables between the router and wall plate you can easily activate or de-activate the various rooms as your needs change.

I suggest using a low-voltage wall box, the kind with an open back. A regular enclosed electrical box gets pretty crowded with all those cables in it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews